Author Topic: What should you think about when you first set up the SX900?  (Read 24369 times)

Offline ton37

What should you think about when you first set up the SX900?
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:19 PM »
What should you pay attention to during the first commissioning and setup of your new SX900?::)

For those who have already an SX900: to help the new and / or upcoming new SX900 owners on their way, it might be useful to offer a kind of checklist. What should you think about when you use your new keyboard for the first time? Which points of attention are important before and during the first use? Thanks in advance ...
My best regards,
Ton

blackpool

Re: What should you think about when you first set up the SX900?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »
These are the 6 main things I like to investigate at first Ton, if anyone is interested....

Demos - What it can do
Controls - How to make it happen
Voices - What sounds it uses to make it happen
Styles - What those sounds can be used with
Storage - How it manages data and what capabilities it has
Expansion & Importation - What you can use in combination with it

Well that's my 2ps worth

Keith

The following users thanked this post: Toril S, ton37

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »
Great summary Keith!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:52 AM »
The first thing I do is check the OS version is 1.30 then set the auto switch off to never, as I don't want the keyboard to switch off on its own. Next thing is to save the blank registration onto user section naming it Blank.
 As I will be making registrations I check what ticks are in the memory and take off things like transpose and song. As I will be using some voice packs I import my ID into YEM ready for this.
Now I go through some styles and listen to the OTS. If I like certain ones I will save then to my registration bank. At this point I will play something and probably do a little tweaking to the bank I am making.
  Others will do different things but this is my way.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
For your convience I have some additions to the posts above to complete smooth working with the SX900:
- Checked the FW-version (now 1.03). For 'how to' there is a PDF-manual
- Downloaded all the manuals from Yamaha-site (for offline reading)
- Downloaded the latest Yamaha Driver (For connect to computer and midi) (See also 'Computer Related Operations - Manual')
- Download and install 'MusicSoft Downloader' for File-handling/File-management (See also the Help-button in this programm for the Manual)
- Check if you have the latest 'Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM)'  (See also its manual)
- If you don't use the Voice Guide, you can turn it OFF
- Register your new SX??
- If you whish, download the free expansion-packs
- If you whish, download the Bonus-playlist for the SX900

for most this is obvious, but perhaps useful for the 'starters'

Till sofar .. so good . Love this board! ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 04:38:39 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »
All of the above, but I'd then create a proper Blank Bank. by 'proper' I mean one that has MY choice of starting points for voices and styles (which will obviously quickly be changed when I start creating registrations for songs!), but also things like Touch Response, Fingering Mode, Split Point, volume balance etc etc. This Blank Bank (containing just one registration) will always evolve pretty quickly as I dig deeper, but at least it gives me that 'blank page' to start new registration banks as well as being an 'antidote' to anything that Music Finder, OTS or anything else might do! :)

And what I would NOT do is try to make it sound like my previous keyboard. I've seen so many people try to do that in the past 50 years, with organs long before keyboards were invented. A recipe for instant disappointment in many cases!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: ton37