Author Topic: External screen Genos  (Read 11562 times)

Offline frankmusik

External screen Genos
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
Dear genos players.
Last weeks we made several tests using vga and hdmi monitors with USB-vga/hdmi adapters and monitors with built in Graphic to use directly on genos without adapters.

For us it seems for some user picture quality is important for other fullscreen is more important.

I want to make a research so we can inform Japan correctly.

Thanks also for your experience with monitor use in house, outside...
Thanks also for pictures showing GOOD or BAD Screens  .. :-)

Thanks for help to improve.
Greetings from Germany
Frank

Umfrage in "DEUTSCH" auf der Yamaha Europe Seite!
https://forum.yamaha-europe.com/forum/allgemeine-diskussion/keyboards/683767-externe-monitore-am-genos
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:04:01 AM by frankmusik »
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Roland

Re: External screen Genos
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:38:12 PM »
Hello Frank,

I can't compare V1.3 vs. 1.4 screens as I don't have an external monitor attached at this time (yet). I definitely would not mind a black bar on top/bottom or even on the sides, as long as the display is not distorted.

In my view, there are only 3 scenarios where an external monitor makes sense:
A) For gigging musicians so they can better see what's on their display
B) For folks who want to attach a big screen so people can do Karaoke's
C) For folks like me who spend half the time in a DAW - so I can "angle" an external monitor towards my DAW monitors (checking on the score display, or maybe MIDI settings

Hope that helps. Have a super week and take good care. Cheers, Roland

Offline rdiazhin

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:57:40 PM »
I have tested with two monitors:

1. With a 9" monitor 800x480 screen resolution, with Genos 1.3, image quality was good. Now with 1.4 is even better, much clear.

2. With a 15" monitor 1366x768 screen resolution, with Genos 1.3, the image quality was poor, ugly. Now with 1.4 is perfect.

Both using VGA port, and the red bouncing ball on the score screen is working as expected.

It would be nice to have the option to have the score screen separate same as Lyrics and Text, and external touch screen support.

Additionally, supporting a regular computer mouse and keyboard will be nice.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:46:55 AM by rdiazhin »
Current Keyboards: Yamaha Genos

Wil5560

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
Hello Frank,

Not sure if you can communicate this as well to see if in the next firmware update you don't have to mirror the score from the Genos, but you can select it via the menu. I would like to see the score on the external monitor, while at the same time have my home screen on my Genos keyboard display.

Other general question:
The usb to vga/hdmi adapters are expensive i think. is there another model that works as well for about 20-25 euro?

regards, Wil

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:54:26 AM »
Hello Frank,

Not sure if you can communicate this as well to see if in the next firmware update you don't have to mirror the score from the Genos, but you can select it via the menu. I would like to see the score on the external monitor, while at the same time have my home screen on my Genos keyboard display.

That is what I asked SCORE as Screen Out choosable with NOT Mirroring the main display, menu for screen out with score OR Lyric/txt, I asked for it since T3 .. !

Other general question:
The usb to vga/hdmi adapters are expensive i think. is there another model that works as well for about 20-25 euro?
:-) REALLY ??? ... 
I think if buy a Keyboard for xxxx some tools and add ons can cost xx .. 

For ME it is important for our customers THAT it works with external screens ... and musicians just buy it as a "tool" ...
Sold a lot and no one asked for a cheaper ... they are happy to bring the lyrics to her "singer" ...but --->just my opinion...
Im 2017 i tested more than 5 USB VGA/HDMI devices ... and most of the ones people bought cheap didn't work .. so lifetime is more worth than a tool 10 Bucks more or less :-)
greetings frank

regards, Wil
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:48:56 AM by frankmusik »
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »
I am a bit surprised.

Did not even 10 Genos player use external displays on Genos 1.3 and 1.4 in psrtutorial???

For research we should have more answers ... instead japan thinking WHY to built a screen solution for us -- maybe also with external score!?!?!?!?

thanks for help improving Genos to our wishes!
frank

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
I am playing my Genos Via MIDI, and now I need a screen to see what I am doing.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 09:23:58 PM »
Hello Frank,

I can't compare V1.3 vs. 1.4 screens as I don't have an external monitor attached at this time (yet). I definitely would not mind a black bar on top/bottom or even on the sides, as long as the display is not distorted.

In my view, there are only 3 scenarios where an external monitor makes sense:
A) For gigging musicians so they can better see what's on their display
B) For folks who want to attach a big screen so people can do Karaoke's
C) For folks like me who spend half the time in a DAW - so I can "angle" an external monitor towards my DAW monitors (checking on the score display, or maybe MIDI settings

Hope that helps. Have a super week and take good care. Cheers, Roland

Hi Roland

I would also say  that if Yamaha updated the score reader, to standards of mobile sheets, would be great for reading sheet music. Would save buying an Ipad.
Only if the Genos could accept pdf files to import
All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:31:17 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 09:26:35 PM »
I am playing my Genos Via MIDI, and now I need a screen to see what I am doing.

Hi Pincho
Looking at your avatar i would say you have had a few late nights. ;D :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:29:22 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
That is me, I am a dressed up musician like the group 'KISS'. I will make a video soon.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:29:28 AM by Pincho Paxton »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
Hi Pincho,

on the Genos download site you can download the "Compatible USB Display Adapter List":
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

I recommend to use one of the adapters listed there. Basically, only USB 2.0 adapters can be used (not USB 3!). And only adapters based on certain chipsets are supported.

I use the i-tec USB2HDTRIO adapter. It can be used with VGA, DVI or HDMI displays.

By the way: You should have installed the latest Genos Firmware update (V2.02) for best results.

Connect the display adapter to the rear USB-to-Device socket BEFORE powering on the Genos. In the display "Menu > Utility > Speaker/Connectivity" you can configure the "Display Out Content" (mirroring the current display or always Lyrics/Text).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:53:19 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: GUILLERMO

Pincho Paxton

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
Thanks! I found just one of those on Amazon UK the Plugable one. I hope the monitor I ordered is compatible.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:12:52 PM by Pincho Paxton »

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Pincho!

You can buy those adapters also from music stores, e.g. Thomann:
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/i_tec_usb2hdtrio.htm

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)