Author Topic: When is the Genos 2.0 update released?  (Read 68823 times)

islam01

When is the Genos 2.0 update released?
« on: July 14, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
Hello.  Will the major 2.0 update for Genos be released?  Or does yamaha finish support for Genos and release the new Genos 2?  Anyone know about this? Best regards..

Offline stephenm52

Re: When is the Genos 2.0 update released?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 12:12:37 PM »
Ya gotta be joking, why not sit back and enjoy 1.4?
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 01:04:38 PM »
 ::)
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
I don't think Yamaha will stop at 1.40 but please tell us what you think should be on it.

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »
I don't think Yamaha will stop at 1.40 but please tell us what you think should be on it.

Hey!
It does not help to report what you lack or what you think is wrong.
Have reported to Yamaha Denmark and nothing happens.
Wondering if Yamaha Denmark passes it on to Yamaha Japan?
Or if Yamaha Denmark first makes its own sorting what they think should be passed on, in that case understand that nothing will be corrected.
Otherwise, if you just sit down and play styles and fix the DSP to a good level, Genos is good to play on but not to edit styles etc., can be better if you unlock for editing.
Genos is called a WORKSTATION after all.
// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
Yamaha always have had there own way of making styles in so far as you can only edit the drum tracks. This does not stop you adding your own riffs and sections to the style but you have to delete the current section you want to record with first. You of course can always copy sections from other styles to make up a new style.

islam01

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »

We want Yamaha to develop legato features for Genos.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
Hi

Now learning Cubase it seems that Yamaha need to up the game with Cubase and Genos

I have noticed when recording a style in the Genos sequencer all sounds good to the ear
I have noticed funny sounds  on tracks that an anomally causes and it has left me puzzled.
I went through each Style track after importing to Cubase and found the little culprits.

After recording on the Genos it leaves little minute notes all over the place on each Style track.
Most people do not notice it, but to me it stands out.
It takes an age to delete these replicators.

Is there something that you can do to eradicate these things in one swoop.
I wonder if Yamaha knows about this???

This means Style tracks are not clean after recording.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:14:52 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline andyg

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »
It's your playing that creates these little notes! :) It's what happens when you don't play exactly on the beat! And no-one does, of course.The style engine can cope with no problems and you don't hear them in normal play. But the sequencer is dumb and only records what you actually play, so if you hit that chord a few milliseconds too late, you get those glitch notes.

There is an option to select all notes below a certain length, so select all the offending critters and delete them. You may then have to move the starting points of some of the other notes as they'll then be late!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »
Hi Andy
You are saying my playing is a millisecond out. HELP!!!

I'm only joking.!! ;D

Thank you for your reply Andy
I have found the option in Cubase      Highlight midi track area choose Function and the Note delete Check box appears

Thank you also for letting me know that. There are a million and one things in Cubase
John :) :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:19:28 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
On another post I thought John told me that style unlocker by Jorgen works also for Genos' styles.

Let me put 3 different dsps in every style part and if you can understand what the style is playing (if it can play) then someone's ears can analyse the sounds better than a pc.
Everyone else will hear a musical scribble.  ;D
But I am not a style maker so it may work in the future.  :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
Hello.  Will the major 2.0 update for Genos be released?  Or does yamaha finish support for Genos and release the new Genos 2?  Anyone know about this? Best regards..

Back to the original topic.

Three direct answers: Unknown, unknown, and no.

Yamaha has it's plans. The v1.4 update is the only update in recent memory that was pre-announced. Otherwise, Yamaha keeps its official plans secret.

All the best -- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
I would think the next update would be 1.50 not 2.0. Wondering what the member was referring to.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »
On another post I thought John told me that style unlocker by Jorgen works also for Genos' styles.

Let me put 3 different dsps in every style part and if you can understand what the style is playing (if it can play) then someone's ears can analyse the sounds better than a pc.
Everyone else will hear a musical scribble.  ;D
But I am not a style maker so it may work in the future.  :)

Hi Panos
I think you can edit styles once Style unlocker is applied.
If you want to say make a kick lighter in step record or harder .Things like that
It worked when i had the Tyros.
So i should think you could add a audio drum track to it as well.

Best best is Jorgen himself to explain.

all the best
john :)

Ps  my mixing is coming along now, but it is a task. ::)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 06:24:50 PM »
Hi  John,
You can edit drum track to alter volumes and drum instruments already on Genos and you have the drum editor on there now as well. You don't need any other programme to do this.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »
Hi Eileen
I am sure some styles are locked preventing editing.
I have not done this recently, but if editing cannot be done Style unlocker is supposed to do it.
Some time back i had trouble editing a style because those parts for editing did not show in step edit and used style unlocker and all went well.
If not i must have had a dream. It has been a while since doing this and may have a few parts wrong.

all the best
john :)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »
Quoting John U,

"Hi Eileen
I am sure some styles are locked preventing editing.
I have not done this recently, but if editing cannot be done Style unlocker is supposed to do it.
Some time back i had trouble editing a style because those parts for editing did not show in step edit and used style unlocker and all went well.
If not i must have had a dream. It has been a while since doing this and may have a few parts wrong. "

Hi John,
Drums are not locked as far as I am aware so you can always edit them.
My understanding of Style Unlocker is it allows you to unlock those parts (ie. other than drums) which for some  reason I have never understood, the KB does not permit us to edit apart from deleting the whole part and building it again from scratch. Very helpful  ::)

JohnW
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:16:51 PM by jwyvern »

Offline panos

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
I have a folder with the factory styles of the genos.I used style unlocker to unlock everything inside the folder at once.Except from some style parts the big majority was unlocked.
There are so many preset Yamaha well made styles in every section.You could use the Assembly function to create hundreds of more styles.

Sorry pj for being out of topic but....
Assembly function: One of the greatest feature's in Yamaha's keyboards but yet the update no XXXVVVII maybe will add some better "stuff". hm....  :)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 10:40:42 PM »
Hi

Update 2 will probably be the next Genos

We have 1.5        :P  6,7,8,9, to go yet!!

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »
No hurry  --- just use and play GENOS so long ...

just wait ... time will come!
:-)

greetings from germany
frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Bachus

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
No hurry  --- just use and play GENOS so long ...

just wait ... time will come!
:-)

greetings from germany
frank

That seems the wisest to do..

Since people well connected to Yamaha don’t recognise the need for changes..

I say enjoy what you have, stressing dor changes only gets you stressed and not Yamaha

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
I think a lot of people get confused with what is in an update from Yamaha. Some seem to think new features will be added but as most of us know updates are to put right things that have been causing some trouble and as we have just seen with 1.40 add to existing features such as the new screens and assignable features. These are all working very well so all in all the keyboard is working as it is intended to.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
This is the list of new features Yamaha included in the updates for the Montage since its initial release. Hats off to Yamaha Synth Department. I hope this clears up any confusion about what Yamaha think could be included in an update.

< V2.00 to V2.50 >

New Performances have been added.
    The DAW Remote function has been added.
    A new function has been added that allows you to selectively enable (or disable) recording of Arpeggio data, when recording MIDI songs.
    You can now set a Center note in the Edit Waveform display.
    You can now set a key for assignment when loading WAV files or AIFF files as waveforms.
    You can now select the Assignable Knob for Common Parts, by pressing the [PART COMMON] in the dialog displayed when selecting the Part parameter and pressing the [CONTROL ASSIGN] button.
    The Panel Lock function has been added to prevent inadvertent operations during your performance.

< V1.60 to V2.00 >

You can now create User Audition Phrases.
    New functions have been added in some displays for simplifying Super Knob settings.
    Transitioning of displays during edits have been improved.
    You can now set the Live Set slot as a startup display.
    You can now apply the Live Set Font Size to the Category Names in the Category Search display.
    You can now load MOXF files.
    You can now load Performance data for the MOTIF XS, MOTIF XF, and MOXF.
    You can now set to keep the current tempo after switching to a different Performance.
    You can now set to keep the current A/D Part volume after switching to a different Performance.
    The shortcuts for opening the Control Assign display have been added in the Envelope Follower display.
    You can now select the Super Knob, Motion Sequencer Lane, or Envelope Follower as a source in the dialog that appears when the [CONTROL ASSIGN] button is pressed.
    New function that emphasize the connected lines in the Overview display to indicate the controller you are operating and its destinations has been added.
    Increased the number of Songs that can be recorded in the MIDI tab of the Play/Rec display from 64 to 128.
    The shortcuts for opening the Tempo Settings display have been added in the Play/Rec display.
    The selected slot will remain active even after you changed to other banks in Live Set display.

< V1.51 to V1.60 >

New effect types have been added.
    New functions have been added in some displays for simplifying Super Knob settings.
    Improved the Keyboard Velocity Curve on MONTAGE6/MONTAGE7.

< V1.20 to V1.50 >

New effect types have been added.
    The Favorite function has been added.
    "Mixing" has been added for the "Parameter with Part" setting of the Part Category Search.
    From the Performance Play (Home) display, you can now see various information.
    The Super Knob Link function has been added.
    You can now control the monitor volume of the Audio signal input from the [USB TO HOST] terminal.
    You can now switch Scenes by Control Change messages.
    You can now make partial changes to the font size on the Live Set display and the Category Search display.
    You can now save/load backup files in which the entire User Memory data (including Songs and Libraries) is stored.
    Each Edit display has been improved by allowing touch selection of Parts from the display.
    Improved the sensitivity of Audio Beat Sync.
    Improved the visibility of the selected Performance in the Live Set display.
    MOXF6/MOXF8 data (X6A, X6V, X6G, and X6W) can now be loaded to MONTAGE.
    Enhanced the Note Shift control from the panel (holding down the [SHIFT] button and using the OCTAVE [-]/
  • buttons to change the transpose value in semitones), so that once you change the value, you can release your finger from the [SHIFT] button and continue to make semitone changes for a short time by using only the OCTAVE [-]/
  • buttons.

< V1.11 to V1.20 >

Switching time between Performances has been reduced.
    Element / Operator Control has been added for "Control Function."
    You can now store Control Function settings as Performance data.
    Song Loop playback function has been added.
    User Arpeggio function has been added.
    You can now separately mute original Parts and newly added Parts by Performance Merge.
    Monitor Volume settings for USB connection have been added.
    You can now control the Super Knob by MIDI Control Change messages.
    You can now copy or exchange Arpeggio Types.
    You can now copy or exchange Motion Sequences.
    You can now copy or exchange between Live Sets in different Banks on a page basis.
    The MONTAGE Connect computer application is now supported.
    MOTIF XS data (X0A, X0V, X0G, and X0W) can now be loaded to MONTAGE.
    You can now switch Performances from the Live Set display during Audio playback.
    Knob Brightness setting can now be stored.
    Flags (tone generation attributes of Performance) can now be automatically set and displayed.
    Arp Bypass and Kbd Ctrl Lock functions have been added for "Effect Switch."
    Pedal fuctions such as sustain and sostenuto have been improved to reproduce realistic acoustic piano sound.

< V1.02 to V1.10 >

From the Performance Play (Home) display, you can now view Part types and categories of each Part.
    From the Performance Play (Home) and the Mixing displays, you can now turn the Arpeggio Hold function on/off.
    In the Part Category Search, you can now specify any Part other than Part 1 as the Part to be copied.
    Performance Merge function has been added.
    MIDI single channel mode has been added.
    From the Data Utility display (in the Utility display) you can now delete multiple contents together.
    You can now copy Performances from the Library memory to the User memory.
    You can now copy or exchange Elements/Operators/Drum Keys.
    You can now copy or exchange Live Sets on a Bank or page basis.
    Live Set pages and slots can now be controlled by MIDI Bank Select and Program Change messages.
    In the Live Set display, you can also register a Live Set by pressing the [SHIFT] and [LIVE SET] buttons simultaneously.
    When you press the OCTAVE
  • or [-] button to change the octave or transpose setting, a pop-up display with the current value appears.

When you press the [SHIFT] and KNOB POSITION [1] or [2] buttons simultaneously to memorize the positions of knobs, a pop-up display appears.
    "All" was added to the value of the display filter of the Control Assign display.
    You can now change the cursor position in the text input with the right and left cursor buttons.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:05:45 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 01:46:41 AM »
The Genos is marketed as a "Workstation." According to Google, a workstation is:

"Keyboard workstations combine a keyboard, a music sequencer, and a sound module. They're "all-in-one" machines that allow users to compose and produce electronic music. Think of a workstation, then, as a powerful music-making computer built into a keyboard."

The Genos is exactly that. The key difference is in usability. Yamaha has a huge road ahead of them before satisfying that definition. For me, they have two choices:

1) Stop calling the Genos a Workstation, and call it what it really is, "An arranger keyboard with some really neat extra stuff for recording."

-or -

2) Make it a true arranger that easily functions according to the real definition.

So far, that is not happening.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:47:47 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »
Genos is foremost an arranger as we use preset styles and we all know that. It is described in some places as an arranger work station. I see no point in posting what updates the Montage has had as it won't make sense to most keyboard players.
  Those of us that have owned Yamaha arranger keyboards over the years know how they work and what up dates we will get. I do not think there will ever be a keyboard that will have every thing people want and if there were the price would be far greater than it is now. To be honest most people do not use a quarter of what is on Genos now.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »
Eileen, the point is obvious for those who have an independent opinion. Genos and the Montage are both a product of Yamaha Corporation. Customer support is obviously very different for these - basicly different - customer bases. Your claim is that you know what "an update from Yamaha" really is and others seem to be confused. My posting of Montage updates shows that this is just not true. I think your opinion is very biased and I do think I'm absolutely not confused.
Regards, Michael

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »
Eileen, the point is obvious for those who have an independent opinion. Genos and the Montage are both a product of Yamaha Corporation. Customer support is obviously very different for these - basicly different - customer bases. Your claim is that you know what "an update from Yamaha" really is and others seem to be confused. My posting of Montage updates shows that this is just not true. I think your opinion is very biased and I do think I'm absolutely not confused.

Yamaha has always exactly known where to invest its money since 1959
https://www.yamaha.com/en/ir/publications/pdf/an-2018e.pdf

beykock

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
Hi :

IMHO :
An arranger keyboard is absolutely not a synth.

A synth is made for making pro music in e.g. pro recording studios. Separate track recording, special sound creation etc. etc.
In fact a synth is a real workstation made for pro applications.

An arranger keyboard is a OMB instrument made for amateurs and pro's.

Of course an arranger might be called a professional instrument but do not expect ( synth ) miracles.

I am sure not all members will agree with my words and I respect their opinion too.

Best regards, Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
Yes I think you put that rather well. They are two totally different kinds of instrument and just because Montage has certain types of updates these should not be compared to the ones we get for our arranger keyboards.

Offline mikf

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »
A synth or synthesizer is basically just a musical instrument that creates different sound by synthesizing waveforms, so the Genos is definitely a synthesizer.

Synthesizers have been evolving for years, in different directions. The inclusion of extensive in built accompaniment software evolving from the home organ technology set it into a different market/user segment and these became known as arrangers. They have been amazingly successful at growing this market while virtually obsoleting home organs which remain only as a tiny niche. 
Synthesizers without this accompaniment software have also been a evolving mainly by the inclusion of extensive music production features. These have become known as workstations.
The sound quality has moved forward a lot in both. 
However,, Yamaha muddied the waters a lot by starting to include more of these sound manipulation and music production features in arrangers, eventually to the point where they also started to refer to them as 'workstations'.
But notwithstanding the use of similar 'names' the arranger with its canned intros, endings and accompaniment had a significantly different user base from the synthesizer, /workstation.
I believe that Yamaha were persuaded that there would be benefit by overlapping these segments, but I think there is an inherent  danger in this approach that they satisfy no one, - the workstation enthusiast feels it is not enough of a workstation while some arranger players could view it as unnecessarily complicated for their typical use.
However, even with the amount of overlapping technology, it does seem that Yamaha still have a different market approach for workstations and arrangers, - no matter what they call them. While some people may not like this, it is the way it is, and no one can deny Yamaha's success in the musical instrument market doing things their way.
Mike

beykock

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
Hi Mike :

Any idea what will be the future of the Yamaha high end arranger keyboard ?

Will it remain a plug-and-play instrument mainly intended for the home player - 90% of Yamaha's customers - or can we expect a " workstation " like the PA4X, an arranger keyboard which cannot be called a plug-and-play arranger, IMHO ?

Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
I surely think Yamaha will carry on producing keyboards as they do now. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't. There will always be a call for arranger keyboards. Korg is an arranger keyboard also.

Offline mikf

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 11:05:58 PM »
Arrangers are pretty mature technology and a significant market and change has been incremental rather than radical for years. I imagine it will carry on like this. Of course that will not stop the manufacturers marketing them as radical improvements.
Mike

Offline sunny

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
There are some deficiencies in loading custom samples through YEM on Genos keyboard which are not solved so far. Please note the problem.

When the custom WAV file is loaded into Genos through YEM, the release
sample (Note off sample) say natural Reverb of the WAV sample is lost.
Many sample libraries have natural Reverb recorded into the sample and
this natural Reverb (say release sample) is not reproduced when it is played back on Genos.

The Yamaha Expansion Manager version 2.5.2 prevents loading multiple loops especially (key release sample) and plays Genos inbuilt Reverb effect only. There is no problem with the MOTIF keyboards which supports loading multiple loops.

I hope Yamaha will rectify this problem soon by allowing loading multiple loops sample in the upcoming Version and provide more more options to allow loading natural Reverb of the WAV sample by blocking Genos inbuilt Reverb effect, so that the original sound of the WAV sample is reproduced.

Sunny
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 03:41:07 PM by sunny »

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs