Author Topic: Unable to install 1.4 upgrade  (Read 328417 times)

Offline EB5AGV

Re: Unable to install 1.4 upgrade
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
Did you try the FULL RESET procedure?. Other people have found it as the solution to the upgrade problem.

Just in case!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline frozzers

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Well I asked because I thought there might be a service centre nearer to you than Milton Keynes but clearly there isn’t.

When I had a problem with my Tyros 5, I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they boxed it and posted it to Yamaha who fixed it and posted it back to my dealer - all free of charge because it was under warranty.

I had to wait a couple of weeks while all this happened but at least I didn’t have to take it to Yamaha myself. If you take it to Yamaha yourself, I might be wrong but, I doubt they’ll fix it for you while you wait so you’re likely to be faced with another 8 hour trip.

I’m assuming your dealer was Pianoroom which I see their website is shut down?

Why don’t you give Musicroom in Exeter a ring and explain your issue with the Genos and ask them if they can do anything to help?

Your Genos is definitely under warranty and ultimately this is Yamaha’s responsibility to fix. If Musictoom won’t help, I’d recommend you ring Yamaha and ask them how they can fix your Genos without you doing two 8 hour trips. They may of course say you should post it yourself but I would argue and say that’s not reasonable. They might then contact Musicroom on your behalf.

Good luck!

Cheers

Chris

Offline EileenL

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
A couple of people have managed now to install the update by firstly doing a complete factory reset first. If you do this make sure you have everything you use saved to USB first so that if the update takes it off you can restore it from your USB when update completed.
  As far as I know there are only around half a dozen members that are having this problem but so many threads have been started on this subject that it has got very confusing.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 01:11:36 PM »
Well I just used a USB stick which had some other stuff on it I left the underneath USB stick in just put the unzipped file on the root of the stick and it all worked just fine. I have never had a problem with any updates on any of my Tyros's or now on the Genos and I have always done them the same way.
Bill

Offline EileenL

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »
Yes Bill,
  I did mine without any problem too but for some reason a few people had problems. I think most are now sorted.

Alfred59

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for your advice. I contacted the other dealer in Exeter. It seems the Genos has to be returned to a Yamaha repair centre and not to  the dealer.. They referred me to E&M electronics one of Yamahas authorised repair centres who told me they have had two other keyboards returned with the same problem. I didn’t keep my packaging so they are sending me a box to pack it in. They hopefully will sort out the problem and return it to me with the upgrade installed.
Alfred

Offline frozzers

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
Great news Alfred!

Please keep us posted on how it turns out.

Cheers

Chris

Alfred59

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
Amazingly I’ve installed v1.4 on my Genos today. Yamahas’ repair centre  E&M electronics sent me a copy of their firmware  which arrived today on a usb. It installed straightaway with no rejection. Looking on the usb the icon is just the same as the icon on the various usbs I’ve tried. I’ve asked them to let me know the source of their firmware in case they’ve accessed it in a different way which is unlikely I know.
Anyway result. ‘Go figure’ as you Americans would say.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
What were the brands of USB flash drives that you were using, and what was the brand they sent you?

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Alfred59

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 03:38:03 PM »
I’ve had a reply to my query from the service centre as to why my usbs didn’t load the 1.4 firmware. They think it’s because I hadn’t uses a Yamaha supported usb. I checked my 5 usb sticks and none are on their list!
They tell me that my usbs will work with the Genos generally but not for the firmware upgrades. I’m not sure that’s been the case on previous upgrades I’ve installed  but maybe they have a point.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
Yeah, apparently all USB flash drives are NOT created equally, even though we consumers tend to expect that we should be able to buy whatever ones are cheapest in the store and they should work. Certainly I always buy whatever is the cheapest, but I guess that isn't always the best choice. :(

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »
Hi

Glad you got it sorted. I am having the same problem. It keeps asking me to insert the media but I can see the USB flashing which means it is being accessed in some way. I have tried various USBs and reformatted one on the Genos with nothing else on it but the upgrade file. Which USB do they recommend please and where is the list they have ?

Very frustrating when all other updates have been a breeze...

Thanks in advance
Steve
Yamaha Genos, Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha MODX7, Korg M3, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg MS20, MiniMoog Model D, Moog Voyager, Sequential Prophet 6, Roland D10, Roland JV1080, Roland Drumatix, EDP Wasp, Ableton 9

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »

Kame

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
I’ve had a reply to my query from the service centre as to why my usbs didn’t load the 1.4 firmware. They think it’s because I hadn’t uses a Yamaha supported usb. I checked my 5 usb sticks and none are on their list!
They tell me that my usbs will work with the Genos generally but not for the firmware upgrades. I’m not sure that’s been the case on previous upgrades I’ve installed  but maybe they have a point.

I received the same recommendation. Unfortunately, they are not right in the yamaha center.
For me, the problem was solved by a reset with all the reset options selected.
After that I could load the update from the stick that has been stuck to the update so far.

Alfred59

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
I’m  awaiting a usb as recommended by Yamaha and will download the firmware onto it to see if my Genos can install from it. Will let you know.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
I used a 32 Gb Kingston for my update with no problem what so ever. I also use a 64 Gb Sandisk in the underside compartment This acts as my back up for user section also again no problem. I also use Verbatim Store-N-go all with no problem.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2019, 08:15:40 PM »
Hi
I never format a usb to put an update on
Just extract  with windows extraction and follow the letter .
Not much can go wrong.
I do put the updates on a blank usb though.

If you get it wrong with firmware there is no going back and you can really upset the apple cart.
The keyboard will have to go back to Yamaha, or if you have a good dealer they may come and visit you if you have difficulties.

All the Best
john
     "Anything Computerized  can be a pain sometimes".
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline markstyles

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »
I have a bunch of USB sticks, Most are fine for programs, but I come across two, that wouldn't deal with the update.  All formatted on GENOS.  But when I switched and tried a different USB stick it worked fine.  All had sufficient space on it. 

Alfred59

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2019, 07:27:59 AM »
As a matter of interest we’re the usb’s that worked on yamahas approved list and the ones that didn’t work, not on it.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
The list that Yamaha has published, which I linked to above, is not complete, because there are so many different brands and sizes and types of USB flash drives-- USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0, different read/write speed ratings, etc. Yamaha can't test every possible USB flash drive to see whether or not it will work.

So it's actually a good idea for members to post a short note in the forum about which ones worked or didn't work, especially for the ones that aren't on Yamaha's list, or that didn't seem to work even though Yamaha didn't find any problems with them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
Yes as you say it is not possible to list all This is just a short list of recommended ones. I also use Toshiba 8Gb with no problem. I still stick to USB2 for keyboard although it will take USB3 but still work at the speed of USB2.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
I still stick to USB2 for keyboard although it will take USB3 but still work at the speed of USB2.

Yes, it seems silly to pay a higher price for USB 3 drives if they're still going to be accessed at USB 2 speeds-- unless you've got a computer with a USB 3 port, in which case you can transfer files onto the drive from your computer at the higher speed.

Alfred59

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2019, 10:45:41 PM »
I used an approved Yamaha usb today to carry out the upgrade. I’m disappointed to say it didn’t work. So it would appear not to make any difference whether the usb is on their list or not.  I’m pleased that the upgrade sent to me by Yamaha did work as I reported the other day but it’s a mystery why it did.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2019, 12:23:02 AM »
I usually wait after the release of software upgrades and let the early download installer people test it for me in the hope that any problems are identified and sorted before I go ahead. So I think I'll wait another month or so before I install 1.4.

Murray

Same here. I usually wait at least 6 months. I have not tried this update yet.

Regards RL

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:31:48 AM by RichardL »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
Hello Richard,
  I always do my updates as they come out and have never had any problems the same as most people have found. With all the Genos keyboards out there I think we heard of five or six people that had trouble. They are all sorted now I believe. Was due to not unzipping correctly or not copying to USB correctly and some maybe because there computer was not working as it should.
  It is safe to say that there is no problem with the keyboard or the update.

Alfred59

« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2019, 07:33:40 AM »
Hi Eileen,
You’re incorrect when you say not being able to upgrade  was due to unzipping incorrectly etc. I did all the things you mentioned and many more  besides and got nowhere until Yamaha sent me their download on a usb which did work.I admit I didn’t use an approved usb  at the time but subsequently I did try  to do this on an approved usb, as an experiment, but it still didn’t work.
Alfred

beykock

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
Hi A :

A super nice service from Yamaha they have sent you a USB stick, right ? Free of charge ?

Strange to hear their USB made it possible to install the 1.4 update and not one of your sticks.

Did you ask Yamaha why none of your sticks did not work ?

It might be useful information for others having the same problem, I guess.

Thanks, Babette
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:39:11 AM by beykock »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:41 AM »
Was there a thread about someone who wanted to uninstall the 1.40 update but couldn't do it? Is it possible to uninstall 1.40, or to install 1.30 over it? Is it possible to successfully install an update if it's already installed? Just curious.

Offline frozzers

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2019, 10:18:59 AM »
According to the instructions, it's not possible to downgrade back to 1.3.

However, if you do a factory reset, it seems logical to me you could update to 1.3 from that.

No-one's confirmed that though and I'm not inclined to try it!

Cheers

Chris

Offline EileenL

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
If you have updated to 1.40 why on earth would you want to go back to 1.30.Also if you have updated to 1.40 why would you want to load it again.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
I'm just asking because of what Alfred said:

(1) Tried it with numerous USB drives but it failed.
(2) Tried it with the USB drive Yamaha sent him and it worked.
(3) Also found out that USB drives he'd used before had either not been tested by Yamaha or had not passed their testing.
(4) Tried again using a USB drive that was listed as having passed testing but it failed.

Was the keyboard downgraded from 1.4 to 1.3 between (2) and (4)?

Or was (4) performed on a keyboard that was already at 1.4?

beykock

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »
Hi Guys :

Eileen is absolutely right. Why should one go back to a previous version if the latest version has been well installed and works correctly ?

IMHO it is obvious there has never been a problem with the update 1.4.
The problem = the ( wrong ) USB drives.

It should be interesting which USB drives are to be used to avoid future update installation problems.
See Yamaha's recommendations.

Best regards, Babette
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:19:37 PM by beykock »

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2019, 11:51:22 PM »
I think I will try the update this week. The USB stick I use regularly with my kbd is a Toshiba 32gb. I used this stick to do the 1.3 update so it should be OK.

Regards RL

Offline EileenL

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
Yes Richard it should be fine but make sure it dose not still have 1.30 update on it still.

Alfred59

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2019, 08:25:44 AM »
Hi seagtgruff
In answer to your queries I was using v1.3 and then tried to upgrade to v1.4 so I didn’t downgrade.
I was running v1.4 when I tried to reinstall it from the approved usb I bought after installing v1.4 that Yamaha supplied.
Alfred

Alfred59

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »
Hi Babette,
I sent them my own usb on which they then installed their version of v1.4 onto.
After installing it successfully from this usb I bought an approved usb ( Yamaha advised me that the reason it hadn’t installed was most probably because it wasn’t on their approved list) , downloaded the genos v1.4 upgrade onto it and then tried to install it again onto the genos. It would not read the usb. So buying a Yamaha approved usb didn’t solve the problem.
Alfred

beykock

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2019, 09:22:53 AM »
Hi Alfred :

Thank you for your feedback.👌

Last question.
Is the update 1.4 installed now and does it work correctly ?

Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
Well Alfred if the file Yamaha sent you on your own USB stick worked OK it would appear that for some reason the update was not correctly downloaded and transferred to the USB. This may be due to the zip programme you are using not working properly or the copying of the file to USB. Still now you are sorted I would not mess about trying to update 1.40 again No point to it.

Alfred59

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
Yes the 1.4 update is installed now and works fine as far as I’m aware.  And Eileen, re the file unzip it was done automatically by the iMac operating system so little chance of an error there. Also copying the file over, what can one do wrong there, click and drag. I’ve gone as far as I can with this and will call it a day. Thank your for all your responses.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2019, 01:41:44 AM »
Yes the 1.4 update is installed now and works fine as far as I’m aware.  And Eileen, re the file unzip it was done automatically by the iMac operating system so little chance of an error there. Also copying the file over, what can one do wrong there, click and drag. I’ve gone as far as I can with this and will call it a day. Thank your for all your responses.

I think that is where your problem lies - using an Mac computer to do the unzipping. I will bet that you need to use a windows PC to unzip the file.

Regards, Richard.

Brushfo149

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2019, 08:31:09 AM »
Worked fine with my Mac computer.

Offline frozzers

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »
You definitely don't need a Windows PC.

The Mac operating system unzips the file automatically for the user which minimises the potential for error.

Cheers

Chris

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
OK I stand corrected, thanks folks.

RL

Offline RoyB

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
Hi Babette,
I sent them my own usb on which they then installed their version of v1.4 onto.
After installing it successfully from this usb I bought an approved usb ( Yamaha advised me that the reason it hadn’t installed was most probably because it wasn’t on their approved list) , downloaded the genos v1.4 upgrade onto it and then tried to install it again onto the genos. It would not read the usb. So buying a Yamaha approved usb didn’t solve the problem.
Alfred

Alfred,

Probably just about the only thing you haven't tried, instead of using a downloaded update file, is to copy the known 'good' file from Yamaha's USB stick onto your own USB stick and see if there is any difference.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Alfred59

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »
Hi Roy,
Just tried your suggestion. I copied yamahas version of 1.4 onto a usb which previously  had my version of 1.4 on it. It worked. I successfully reinstalled the copied version   onto my genos.
This suggests that yamahas head office version is in some way different to the version I downloaded. Doesn’t make any sense I know.
Regards
Alfred

Offline EileenL

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
I am sure  the chap at Yamaha downloaded it from the site the same as all of us did that have not had a problem.

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2019, 05:03:46 PM »
Having made a career of IT (information technology) mostly on the technical side,  I learned very early that upgrades, updates,
PTFs (if you're old enough to have worked with IBM software), etc. is like fine wine..... they taste better with age.....
Hence, unless there is a major update that needs to be made because the hardware/software won't function or of a new feature that I can't live without, 
I allow anyone else who has more courage than I do to test the update first...  so far, that philosophy is working pretty good for me..... 
but I keep praying anytime I do an update...... oh, and also backing up beforehand.  ;)

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2019, 12:13:54 AM »
Just did my upgrade. worked fine, boringly uneventful.

Regards, RL

Offline RoyB

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
Hello Alfred

That's interesting. If you are still interested in investigating this I have one more suggestion for you to try.

I believe you downloaded and extracted the compressed files using a Mac.

The built-in Mac archiver by default handles compressed files a little differently to Windows, and perhaps this may result in a very slight difference in the extracted file that the Genos is sensitive to.

If you use the built-in Mac archiver to create a ZIP files, by default the Mac creates two extra folders in the ZIP file that create hidden additional Mac-specific resource information files. Extract that ZIP file using  the Mac archiver and it reads the info in the extra folders during the extraction process to produce the original un-zipped files, and you do not see the 2 extra folders that the Mac pur in the ZIP file. However, unZIP the archived files on a Mac using a third-party extractor (such as Winzip for Mac), or extract it on a Windows computer, and in the folder containing the resulting extracted file you will also find the 2 extra folders (__MACOSX and .DS_store).

As the Mac archive extractor has to deal with these different ZIP files created on a Mac to read and act on the contents of the two extra folders, perhaps it does something slightly differently when extracting a ZIP file created on Windows computer (which don't contain this information), and the Genos is sensitive to this.

Therefore, I suggest you try extracting your downloaded ZIP file on your Mac using a 3rd-party extractor, and see if the resultant file can then be read by your Genos.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Alfred59

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »
Hi Roy,
Thanks for your continued interest. I did download the file from a friends windows 10 computer onto a formatted usb but the Genos couldn’t read it. I’m not sure a 3rd party unzip can be used on the Mac as it automatically unzips.
Alfred