Author Topic: Genos and Image Display  (Read 54269 times)

a1gene

Genos and Image Display
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
I've seen some other posts regarding this question, without much in the way of an answer, except for attaching an iPad or other tablet, but has anyone come up with a way to display images on the Genos screen while a MIDI song is playing, similar to the demos? The reason I ask is because, for me, the screen would be perfectly adequate for reading a lead sheet during a song performance without having to attach an external display and worrying about it if you're not sitting there at the keyboard. I've done that kind of image thing for PowerPoint presentations and InDesign documents, and it would work perfectly for me. I'm betting there may be some undocumented way to do just that. Even if not, implementing it in a software update would be a great addition for those people who could use it. Any way to make suggestions to Yamaha for future features?

ALSO: I came across some black thumb screws at a surplus store that fit the door on the bottom USB port to replace the Phillips screw there. It sticks out so you can easily open the door by hand but is slightly lower than the feet, so it won't mar a solid surface while the Genos is sitting there. I have 6 left if anyone wants one. I'll send it free, but only to the US, otherwise postage will be prohibitive. Email me with your address at mee@generyan.com.

Offline frankmusik

Re: Genos and Image Display
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:09:44 AM »
Hi Gene,
if you want lead sheets, why don't use the text as a display.

just put .txt in your regs, or take the foot switch to jump ...
good resolution and simple made.

And usable with the internal AND the external display.
most live-playing musicians in europe (not playing with midis) do that when NOT using external devices.

frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
Frank, .txt files are EXTREMELY limited and very archaic. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet for displaying chord and lyric charts, after getting tired of hauling around four binders full of charts. The only difference between it and the Genos screen, aside from physical size, is my tablet reads PDF files. The fact that Yamaha won't add PDF formats to their screen display functions is ridiculous. Think of the possibilities: a decent-sized tiltable screen that displays PDF documents!!!

In some ways, Yamaha is so far behind the times. How can they make such a great sounding instrument but offer a display that is hardly more evolved than the Commodore Pet???!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:19:08 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:59:19 AM »
@I understand your wishes ... but Genos is a Keyboard :-)

As I wrote a lot use TXT for there Text information in Tyros&Genos
...others (most musician around the world!)  use songbook + som other apps and software like that.
On tablets also PDF or jpg is possible.

Just link with a registration .. DONE .
Use what you want to use, BUT it is possible to read text also :-) not only pdfs

greetings from germany
frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
And i use only text songs and i only need txt files. For your Galaxy you can use a very efficient MobileSheets Pro https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ application. There is a version for win10 and Android system, it has many options and defined settings for Genos and can call many kinds of files like jpg, pdf, word, chord pro ...
In this video I showed how to handle it

https://youtu.be/83KSbB5H-_8
Watch my video channel

Offline acparker

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
Allow me to +1 to Mobilesheets Pro.  I use this with my cheapo 12" off-brand android tablet, and I find that it works really well, and is very flexible -- highlighting, adding text, cropping, custom marks for specific page turns (ie go back 2 pages for the repeat), etc.  Like the Mac Songbook, it too, supports linking with registrations.  And you can crop, which means getting rid of the large margins some files have and make the dots as big as possible on the screen.

Adam

a1gene

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »
Yes, If the Genos could display PDF files and change them during the course of a song, it would be great! Players could make PDFs from Finale or other programs to their own individual preferences and not be stuck with the built-in music display function, which I find next to useless. I use a Samsung Galaxy View tablet now, which can legibly display 3 pages at one time and changes easily by touching the screen. I'd rather use nothing at all, though, besides the keyboard itself. You would think Yamaha would want the Genos to have the greatest utility to everyone who uses it!

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
ALSO: I came across some black thumb screws at a surplus store that fit the door on the bottom USB port to replace the Phillips screw there. It sticks out so you can easily open the door by hand but is slightly lower than the feet, so it won't mar a solid surface while the Genos is sitting there.

Thanks so much for the thumb screw.  I replaced the Genos original screw and it is excellent.

I was using the USB in the front port of the Genos because it was so much of a nuisance to screw/unscrew the cover of the port in the bottom of Genos. 

With the new thumb screw is so much easier.  So now, i have my USB drive in the bottom permanently.

Yamaha should have done it to begin with.  Your idea was excellent and an improvement.

Thanks again.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana