Author Topic: panning question  (Read 5073 times)

Aussiejean

panning question
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:44:32 AM »
On the Mixing Console, Page 1, Vol/voice -all voices relate to the accompaniment, and can be panned as desired. Is that right? I cannot find how to pan the two voices Right 1 and Right 2 for the right hand to separate them. I might be missing it but have looked through the manuals  -just stuck. I have a 970. Cheers Jean.

Offline Dick Rector

Re: panning question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:46:15 AM »
It is not called 'panning' as in film but 'panpot'. On my S950 it is under mixingcontrole and than I panpot.

Hope this helps you in the right direction.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Aussiejean

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:41:18 AM »
Thanks Dick. Don't know how I missed it. Jean

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »
Remember that every time you press the mixing console button, it changes the 'set' of parts that can be adjusted. It cycles between PANEL and STYLE.

So when you're on the tab with the pan / volume settings, pressing the mixing console button switches beween setting up the accompaniment parts and setting up the panel parts.

Some of the settings on the tabs are not available on all parts, so on those tabs when you press the mixing console button the number of options on the screen will change.
Genos

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
Glad to see people using panning (and yes, I'd say that that is the correct term) with the panpot controls. All too often I see and hear two trumpets, saxes or whatever both centred.

I teach my students this: If you have two solo instruments both panned to the centre, then that's like having one musician standing on top of the other one's shoulders on stage. It doesn't happen in real life (or would be rather comical if it did!) so you pan them, maybe to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock respectively so the musicians are effectively standing next to each other.

Some sounds, like stereo strings and stereo brass, can be left centred if desired, of course.

You can also try to get some sense of 3D 'depth' of sound but adding just a little more reverb to sounds that you wish to appear further away from the listener. If you're into creating MIDI files, you can add a slight time delay (really awkward to do on the keyboard but easy in a DAW) as well. In order to sound authentic, that time delay must actually be longer than the actual time delay you'd get in real life. I used to have a table of distances and time at one point.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 11:12:52 PM »
Andy,

Most of the time I do as you describe.

But there are occasions when you want to "layer" two Voices to create a new hybrid sound. In that case you would want to Pan both Voices to center and adjust the Volume of each as well as fine tune (de-tune plus or minus) each sound to create the new sound you want. This is done on synths all the time.  An example would be Bells and Piano... blended just right, would create a "Bell Piano" Voice.  Then add DSP to sweeten the sound to taste.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 11:14:08 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Gloria

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »
A very interesting subject!  Thank you!   :)

Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Aussiejean

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:21 AM »
I am experimenting with panning the acc. voices as in a studio orchestra. An interesting article on httpt://www.fransabsil.nl has a three tier arrangement which would be a bit hard, but the seating position of the instruments  I think is worth trying. Cheers Jean.

Aussiejean

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 01:37:36 AM »
I forgot to mention the studio setting orchestra is on page 6 - the alternate option to page 2.Jean.