Author Topic: Genos and bass pedals  (Read 26761 times)

Demile

Genos and bass pedals
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »
I'm hoping that someone can give me some detailed info on connecting up my 13 note pedal board to Genos. I've had a go with both TRX and
 "V" Con but due to a variety of reasons I haven't been successful. I admit to being an 88 year old lifelong performer and have had many instruments all with pedals. I have the pedal board input to Midi in "A" and without doing anything, pedals are producing a piano style complete with sensitivity.

Because of age and losing some concentration I would like some help in a line by line instruction. Certainly I can do a lot of enveloping and voice setting and I'm very well acquainted with all of the Genos's complexities....but MIDI is now beyond me.

Looking forward to a "Boffin's" assistance.           My kindest regards to all   Derek Miles.

Offline strandkam

Re: Genos and bass pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »
Hi Demile,
I'll try to explain how I do this.
* Selects CHANNEL
* MUTE style bass and SELECT midi channel (I use SONG 13, because my bass pedal sends on channel 13, you can choose another.)
* SELECT voice to play

Strandkam

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:40:20 AM by strandkam »

The following users thanked this post: Mikk, EB5AGV

Offline Colin D

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
I’ve tried this with an unbranded pedal, I can get it to play on various MIDI channels, but I can’t separate it on the voices, if it’s on ch3 it plays right voice 3 etc, any ideas please?

Many thanks

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
I’ve tried this with an unbranded pedal, I can get it to play on various MIDI channels, but I can’t separate it on the voices, if it’s on ch3 it plays right voice 3 etc, any ideas please?

Many thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

you probably have connected the MIDI Pedal to the DIN MIDI B IN jack (= MIDI Port 2), in combination with a Preset MIDI Template such as "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE".

In this case, the Pedal will control one of the Keyboard Parts (Right 1 - 3 or Left), depending on which MIDI Channel is used.

To control the SONG Parts, you should use the DIN MIDI A IN jack (= MIDI Port 1).

To set a particular SONG Part to the desired Voice you can use a (Dummy) MIDI file or send the relevant MIDI messages (Bank Select / Program Change) from an external MIDI device.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:52:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Colin D

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thank you, I had it plugged in the wrong port,  I still can’t change the voice at present?

Kind regards

Colin

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »
Hi Colin,

the Voices of the SONG Parts can NOT directly saved in a Registration. Therfore, as mentioned before, you will have to use a MIDI file to set the Voice.

For example, you can do the following:

• Connect the Bass Pedal to MIDI A IN and make sure that the Pedal sends on Channel 1.

• If the SONG Parts are initialized (directly after switching on th Genos) ,you will hear a Piano Voice when playing the Bass Pedal (and the SONG VOLUME is not turned down).

• To make a "Dummy MIDI file" select the desired (Bass) Voice in the Part RIGHT 1, go to "MIDI Quick Recording" a record only on short (quietly played) note. Save this "Song" and PLAY IT BACK.

• This will set your Bass Voice for SONG Part 1 (= MIDI Channel 1 of MIDI Port 1).

• Make sure that "Quick Start" is enabled in "Song Setting".

• Now you can memorize you newly created "Song" (in this case usually called "Dummy MIDI file") to a REGISTRATION. When you call up that Registration, the Voice for the Bass Pedal will be changed immediately. (You do NOT have to press "Play" for the "Song".)

P.S.
There is also another method:

You could use the RIGHT 3 or LEFT Part for the Bass Pedal. In this case, you can memorize the Voice for the Bass Pedal directly to Registrations. BUT you will loose one Part for your Keyboard playing, of course.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:32:26 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Colin D

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »
Chris,

thank you for the information, i will try this later and see if i can get it sorted,

kind regards

Colin