Author Topic: Playlist  (Read 6844 times)

Playlist
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I would like some help please.

I downloaded the bonus playlist from Yamaha for my Genos. I loaded them onto the instrument but when I click on any song I get the message " File not found, or file name is inappropriate".

What am I doing wrong please?

Thank you,

Dave.

Offline valimaties

Re: Playlist
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:41:43 AM »
Bonus content has to be on root of a stick, not in a folder...

You have to use only one usb stick to be able to load registrations from this playlist, because all of them are set to load from the first usb.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Stijn

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:42:31 AM »
Hi Dave,
The bonus playlist is meant to be used from the USB drive, not from the User memory.

Copy "PlaylistForGenos" folder onto root folder of USB storage device.
Connect your USB storage device
Call up Playlist function by pressing [PLAYLIST] button.
Choose the Playlist you want to play by choosing Preset -> User -> USB -> PlaylistForGenos -> folder of your choice -> Playlist file inside the folder
Push [PLAYLIST] button again, and you can see the playlist of your choice.
If you press check mark or load the Playlist Record, Genos is ready to play.
Each Playlist Record contains several Registration data to play the song.
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
Hi Valamities and Stijn,

That's exactly what I'm doing. All the songs are listed but none of them will load.  :-\

Offline valimaties

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
How many USB devices do you have in the Genos?
Did you forgot an USB on underneath port?

All playlist contain this path:

"I:/PlaylistForGenos/"(Ballroom or whatever)"/"(A registration)

So you don't have to change any of path of files.

"I" is the first usb loaded, so if you have any other USB loaded before this one which contains playslist bonus folder, will not work. All ports have to be empty when you power on Genos, or only this USB stick has to be plugged when you power on Genos.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »
Hi Vali,

I have the USB under the Genos as a backup.

However, I always turn it on before plugging USB2 into the top of the instrument.

Do I have to take out the backup USB before the playlist will work?

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
It's exactly what I said. You have 2 USBs inserted.
The "I" usb is your underneath stick (backup, as you say).
Use MusicSoft Downloader program to copy the PlaylistBonus folder to your backup stick, or just unplug it and put the content on that USB stick, and it will work.

It has been discussed a lot of times about how Yamaha managed usb ports on Genos (bad management, IMPOV).

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
Sorry Vali,

It's still not working. I took out the backup stick, copied the contents to it and replaced it. I turned on the Genos and navigated to the songs, which all come up as a list, but none will load.

I don't know what else I can do.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
Have you tried using the USB port next to the keybed?
Switch off, remove the stick, switch on and then insert the stick to the right of the keybed.

Genos should now see it as drive I:/ and it should work.

Stijn

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Hi Stijn,

Yes I've tried that and it doesn't work.

I know that the playlist feature works because I've created my own from registrations.

A similar thing happened when I bought the easy keyboard playlist from Yamaha club. None of those would load either.

I'm wondering if it's a fault with the instrument.

Thanks,

Dave.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
Hi Dave,

Let's try to put the Bonus Playlist onto the USER drive then. I'm preparing the instructions and will post them in a short while.

Stijn

Offline Stijn

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 02:51:05 PM »
@Dave
Here is a link to the files and the instructions to put the Bonus Playlist on the Genos User Drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/terzjl9h2ax4wd2/Genos%20Bonus%20Playlist%20on%20USER.zip?dl=0

Unzip the file and follow the instructions, see  Genos Bonus Playlist on USER drive.pdf

Other links:

Genos Playlist per Registration
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yiq1ltgzgmoapkt/Genos%20Playlist%20per%20Registration.pdf?dl=0

Genos Playlist per Song
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w70504exarvsv1j/Genos%20Playlist%20per%20Song.pdf?dl=0

Regards,
Stijn

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
Have you tried using the USB port next to the keybed?
Switch off, remove the stick, switch on and then insert the stick to the right of the keybed.

Genos should now see it as drive I:/ and it should work.

The problem is he's got a "backup" stick in the hidden drive, which the keyboard is recognizing as I:.

Dave,
You need to ensure you copied the files and folders properly.

Put your stick in a computer, and check the files. You need to ensure that "Playlist for Genos" is a root folder. There can't be any folders above it.

Thousands of others have this Playlist working. You can too.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Stijn

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
The problem is he's got a "backup" stick in the hidden drive, which the keyboard is recognizing as I:.

Cheers,
Fred

Dave mentioned earlier that he took out the backup stick....

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 04:22:46 PM »
Dave mentioned earlier that he took out the backup stick....

Yes, but he copied the playlist to that stick, then put it back in.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
Hi Stinj,

Have you actually tried your instructions for moving the PlaylistForGenos to the User drive?

I have just done so, and as I expected it does not work, generating an error when you select a song from the playlist.

This is because the records in the TSV files (which are the actual Playlists) still look for the associated registrations on the USB1 drive.

When you copy the registrations to the user drive, not only does the drive letter of the location change, but the folder path also changes because Yamaha has created root level folders for most file types (including registrations).

So, a registration used by a playlist that was originally intended for use on USB1, would for example have a file path of 'I:/PlaylistForGenos/Ballroom/A Walk In The Black Forest.rgt',  and this would be the path contained in the relevant playlist TSV record. 

However when transferred to the user drive as per your instructions, the registration's path will become 'C:/REGIST/PlaylistForGenos/Ballroom/A Walk In The Black Forest.rgt', and the record in the TSV won't find the file.

You can move the playlist and associated registrations to the user drive, but you would need to modify all the file paths in every TSV to get it to work (unless you had the USB with the original version connected)!

However there shouldn't really be any problem getting the Playlist For Genos to work from USB1, as long as it has been correctly unzipped (extracted) from the original zip download and copied to the root of the USB.

Out of interest, here is an extract from the Version History (change list) accompanying Genos firmware update from V1.10 to 1.20...

"-Changes: When the following data types which include a file link to an external drive is loaded, this instrument will search related files from all the connected USB flash drives, regardless of which drive path is specified.

・Registration Memory

・One Touch Setting

・Audio Link Multi Pad"

Presumably if Yamaha extended the above change to include Play Lists, which effectively only contain file links (in this case to an external drive), the USB drive allocation would not cause such problems!  :-\ 

Regards

Ian

Offline Stijn

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
Hi Stinj,

Have you actually tried your instructions for moving the PlaylistForGenos to the User drive?

Ian

Yes, Ian. I did test it. And yes, it works. I had no USB stick inserted.

I am aware that the paths are different for the USER drive and I modified ALL the originals to C:/REGIST/PlaylistForGenos/.... and so on.
Yes, I know about the hidden folders in the Genos system; VOICE, STYLE, TEXT, REGIST etc.

You can check this when you open one of the playlists in Excel, or in the program GenosPlaylistWorker.
You will notice the references have been modified like for instance C:/Regist/PlaylistForGenos/Pop/A Sky Full Of Stars.rgt

It works on my Genos, I double-checked it, and triple checked it.

Regards,

Stijn

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »
I just downloaded the playlist folder on to my back up USB under the keyboard and have never had a problem with it. I always make sure I have no other sticks plugged in on switch on so my stick will always read USB1. Then I just press song list button and select the file I want press song list again and all the songs show up. Select one and press the enter button to load it.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »
Hi Stinj,

You are correct, and your instructions do work, as long as you download and copy your folder containing the TSV files!

I only looked at the instructions PDF in preview without spotting that you had also provided modified versions of the TSVs, and assumed that you meant copy the original Yamaha versions from USB to User.

My apologies for not looking more closely at what resources you had provided.

I was going to modify this playlist to run on the User drive of my Genos, but you have saved me the trouble, so thanks for that!

Regards

Ian

Offline Bud2

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »
Eileen's worked because she put the downloaded file onto her USB stick, if you copy the file on the Genos it won't work unless you copy in Registration mode then copy again in Playlist mode. I demonstrated this at our Forum Meeting in Skegness in May and people didn't belive me until I did it. It caused a lot of problems in the begining for dealers who copyed the file on the Genos instead of always putting the original downloaded version onto a USB stick.
Bill

Offline valimaties

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
All those problems could be bypassed by Yamaha engineers, by force assignment of letter to the USB ports.
Dynamic assignation of letters, as it is right now, it is and will be a problem for all new users of Genos, and some old users, which does not made some test of "what would happened if ... ".
But who and what are we to tell Yamaha what to do?  :D :o

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
I don't see any problem with this. On most keyboards the first stick inserted becomes USB1 and the second USB2 on Genos third stick becomes USB3. Where is there a problem.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
I don't see any problem with this. On most keyboards the first stick inserted becomes USB1 and the second USB2 on Genos third stick becomes USB3. Where is there a problem.

Yes, Eileen, indeed, USB1, 2 and 3, but LETTERS are FIXED... Genos does not look for USB1, it looks for I drive letter and so on. This is the major problem.
Look at the first competitor  on the market, when you insert a stick in USB front slot if F and back USB is R. Is fixed letter assignment!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:53:14 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
I still don't see it as a problem. You just have to be aware of what you are doing which you have to do with most things anyway. We do have to take responsibility to use these keyboards as they were designed to work. I think the only problem is the Playlist use. These can be transferred to the user if required.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have got a brand new USB stick and loaded the playlist files on it.

I put it into the port under the Genos.

Therefore only one USB stick and only one folder on it.

I still get the warning message.

However, I used Stijn's method and it works, thank you.

I would still like to know why they won't work straight from the USB stick though. As I mentioned earlier, I bought some playlist files from Yamaha club and I've never been able to use them.

Thank you all for your support.

Dave.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »
Hi Dave,

How are you extracting (unzipping) the files from the downloaded zip archive?

Were the Yamaha Club files also supplied in zipped form?

Regards

Ian

Offline Stijn

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »
Hi Dave,

Would you like the same procedure for your Yamaha Club Playlists?
I sent a couple of PM's but maybe you didn't get them.

Stijn

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
Hi Tyrosaurus,

Once I download the file, I just double click on it and it unzips.
I then just copy the whole file onto a USB stick.

Dave.