Author Topic: Just brought a E363 for my Grandson  (Read 7331 times)

Offline sooty8

Just brought a E363 for my Grandson
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:03 PM »
Hi Everybody
I have just brought this E363 today for my 11 year old Grandson, I have a Tyros 5 and PSR975 for my own use.
I would like some guidance as to volume, I tested the keyboard today and found that the voices were quite and the styles were loud.
I lowered the styles not a problem, the voices are still quite and the volume knob is at the top point. As soon as I play the demo button the sound is good from the voices. as the keyboard is for home use can someone suggest the best settings, Room/Hall etc.
I tried to play the voice piano at a reasonable volume, i hate having the volume button on maximum, so I must be doing something wrong. Any other advice would be welcome. This looks like a very good keyboard for a beginner. Its straight forward on my Tyros 5 turn volume knob to 1pm and that's it, the PSR 975 2pm thats it. Thank you.

Steve

Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

SeaGtGruff

Re: Just brought a E363 for my Grandson
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:21:04 AM »
For some reason, Yamaha sets the default volume rather low on most of the voice presets.

To increase the volume for a voice, use the FUNCTION button to navigate to the “M.Volume” setting— or “Main Volume,” for the volume of the Main Voice— and increase it to the desired value.

There are also settings for the “D.Volume” and “S.Volume,” to adjust the volumes of the Dual Voice and the Split Voice, respectively.

There’s no way to change the default volume for the preset voice itself, so each time you select one of the preset voice numbers to use as the Main Voice, Dual Voice, or Split Voice you’ll need to adjust the Main Volume, Dual Volume, or Split Volume again.

After you set up the three voices, the effects, and the other Function settings, you can save them to one of the Registration memories. I think the PSR-E363 has only nine Registration memories, but you can refer to the manual to be certain.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »
Thank you for replying Michael.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
And equally importantly, perhaps more importantly, turn the Style Volume down. Its default is 100 and it's much better at 75. You can set this and forget it, as it stays where you put it unless you do a reset.

It's the very first thing I get all my students with E series like the E-3xx and E-4xx to do, as they all say exactly the same thing.

The issue with the M.Volume settings for some of the voices (like the guitars, many of which come in as low as 67, just over half volume) is something that I've raised with Yamaha many, many times to no avail. I have a feeling that many years ago, the predecessors to the E series had a menu option to disable the auto-selection of volume, so you could set a 'standard' volume of maybe 100 for the Main Voice and 80 for the Dual Voice, and those volumes would stick. I'm sure I asked for that function to be reinstated.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline sooty8

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
Thank you Andrew for the advice, I do this on the s975 I drop the style to 85.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:41 AM »
Yep, on my PSR-E433, the "panel voices" are fine, but most of the "XGLite" voices are set to absurdly low volumes -- sometimes in the 40's and 50's on a scale of 0 to 127.  Raising the voice volume (and usually adding some chorusing and reverb) definitely brings out the sound in those voices, and then I save the settings to a registration.  It seems that Yamaha has fixed this problem, at least somewhat, in the newer versions of the E400 boards.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios