Author Topic: Dumbo Needs Help  (Read 4854 times)

Tyros5Mad

Dumbo Needs Help
« on: May 04, 2019, 11:46:57 PM »
Here's my question. How on earth do I edit or insert lyrics in the Genos step record mode?

The reference manual says on page 84:
  • When the Editing target is set to "Lyrics"
Name - Allows you to enter the song name
Lyrics - Allows you to enter lyrics
Code - CR: Enters a line break in the lyrics text
Code - LF: Clears the currently displayed lyrics and displays the next set of lyrics

So I am creating the chords and lyrics file with my Midi Maker2 software and that's all good but, when I am working with the file on the keyboard, adding stuff to create the backing track, I want to enter the line breaks in the lyrics so that when the backing track plays back the Genos screen will display the lyric lines as I would like it to.

Sometimes I also spot an error in a lyric line and I want to fix it right there at the keyboard.

I simply cannot figure out how to do this. Is the manual wrong or am I just too dumb to figure this out? Help!

Regards, Richard

PS - Once I have sorted this out I will add it as a new feature in Midi Maker 2.

Offline Dromeus

Re: Dumbo Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »
Hi Richard

When you enter Song editing, by default you're editing Ch1. Touch the "Ch1" button at the top left, and change to "Lyrics" (you have to scroll down the list). Use the arrow buttons to navigate to the lyric content to be changed. Press the DEC or INC button to launch the keypad. You may use these buttons then also for moving the cursor. When you've finished to make your changes, press OK on the keypad or the ENTER button.

For entering CR or LF you have to switch from Lyrics to Code mode. To do that use the left arrow key to navigate to "Lyrics". Use the DEC or INC button to toggle between "Lyrics" and "Code". As you enter Code mode, the value changes to CR. Navigate to this value with the right arrow key and again use DEC/INC to change it to LF.

HTH
Michael
Regards, Michael

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
Michael, thanks for responding.

However, you must be talking about another keyboard model because the Genos does not have a INC or DEC button on the screen as you describe. Below is a picture of the lyrics screen.
Believe me I have tried every which way to bring up the edit keypad with no luck.

EDIT:
Oh my goodness. Did I say Dumbo? It should be dumb Dumbo  :-\. I found the dec and inc buttons. Not on the screen but real buttons off to the right. I have never used them before so they became invisible to me. Thanks Michael.

Regards,
Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:49:54 PM by RichardL »

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
I found the dec and inc buttons. Not on the screen but real buttons off to the right. I have never used them before so they became invisible to me.

I think, this is a clever function of the brain. What we never use is not important, so why not exclude it from image processing...  ;)

Me too, I didn't use the DEC/INC buttons on my arrangers until I bought a Yamaha MOX years ago. These buttons are very helpful operating this synth, and I began to use it on the Tyros, too. It's all a matter of personal preference and habits. Glad I could help.

Cheers
Michael
Regards, Michael

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
Yeah thanks again Michael.

I have also decided to program the CR: into my software. If the user enters a forward slash "/" into a lyric, I can replace that with ascii character 13, which is a carriage return.

I don't need to use the LF: The keyboard will take care of that.

Regards, RL
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:28:25 PM by RichardL »