Author Topic: Midi CC messages...  (Read 4234 times)

alfaholic

Midi CC messages...
« on: April 05, 2019, 03:04:44 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am searching for any information about which CC messages control certain arranger functions, for example Half Bar Fill, S.Art1 and 2, and so on, but I am unable to find any.
Does anyone knows which CC numbers are used for all the functions in pedal control settings?

Offline pjd

Re: Midi CC messages...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
Hi --

These sorts of things are not controlled by MIDI continuous controller (CC) messages on Yamaha arrangers. They are controlled by System Exclusive MIDI messages (including META messages).

I suggest scanning the PSR-S975/S775 Data List PDF starting at page 100.

All the best -- pj

alfaholic

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »
Thanks. Yes I found some of those, but not all. For example I can control variation and fill, but not half bar fill and s. articulation 1 and 2.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 06:19:42 PM »
Hi --

Thanks for reminding me.

There are two CCs -- 80 and 81 -- for General Purpose Controller (Articulation 1) and (Articulation 2). I vaguely remember experimenting with them when I had the S950. 0: OFF, 127: ON.

Hope they work out for ya -- pj
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:53:05 PM by pjd »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Is a “half-bar fill” something you can trigger separately from a “whole-bar fill”? I thought a half-bar fill was just a fill, and the style actually had to be programmed with a half-bar fill instead of a whole bar? But then, I really know nothing about it, other than that Jørgen was able to write a program that lets users create half-bar fills.

alfaholic

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 07:59:26 AM »
Hi --

Thanks for reminding me.

There are two CCs -- 80 and 81 -- for General Purpose Controller (Articulation 1) and (Articulation 2). I vaguely remember experimenting with them when I had the S950. 0: OFF, 127: ON.

Hope they work out for ya -- pj

For some reason that does not work, I must investigate more.

Is a “half-bar fill” something you can trigger separately from a “whole-bar fill”? I thought a half-bar fill was just a fill, and the style actually had to be programmed with a half-bar fill instead of a whole bar? But then, I really know nothing about it, other than that Jørgen was able to write a program that lets users create half-bar fills.

With PSR S-970 they introduced this as an option for controllers, so now you can use pedal switch do enter Half Bar mode. When the pedal is pressed every fill will be a half bar fill, no matter how it is programmed. My idea was to use MIDI controller (or simple MIDI controller app in my phone) to control it.
Since beginning of time Roland had a button for this, there is absolutely no logic why Korg and Yamaha do not do the same.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:33 AM »
...  With PSR S-970 they introduced this as an option for controllers, so now you can use pedal switch do enter Half Bar mode. When the pedal is pressed every fill will be a half bar fill, no matter how it is programmed....

Hi alfaholic,

to my knowledge, the "Half Bar Fill-in" feature was introduced on Genos and is available also on S975/S775 now, but NOT on S970/770.

If not done so,, you could try to record your Style playing as a MIDI file on your S975 while using the Half Bar Fill-in feature (assigned to a foot switch). May be the correct MIDI message / SysEx can be found when you analyze that MIDI file afterwards. (I did NOT test this myself yet.)

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

alfaholic

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »
Thanks, I will try that for sure. Great idea by the way...  :)

EDIT:

Well, many other options, like sustain or articulation send MIDI and SysEx messages, however few of them are purely pedal/controller based and they do not send any messages out unfortunately.
Thank again, brilliant idea!  8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:27:37 PM by alfaholic »