Author Topic: Step recording  (Read 10520 times)

kmspecialties

Step recording
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »
Went to ref. Manual page 77 for step recording seems complicated is there an easy way to do it. Also if I step record a tune in 1 style can I copy and change the style
Thanx
Bob

Offline Wim NL

Re: Step recording
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:53:40 AM »
Only intern styles.
No user styles.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
Much easier to play your accoump and record it. Then you can choose any style you like and it is a lot quicker.

kmspecialties

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
Thank you
Bob

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 06:34:12 PM »
If you have trouble recording from live playing, try slowing it right down. AYou can always re-set the recorded midid to the correct tempo. And you can do left and RH separately. Make sure you do midi recording not audio recording.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
A further point - its really easy to correct mistakes in a midi as well using drop in drop out. All much faster than using step recording. In fact, other than for correcting mistakes, I have never really understood why anyone would choose to use step recording for a complete song.
Mike

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 08:29:59 PM »
Live record is not faster when you have already a step record  file.
I have already 400 step record files.
Live record can not record every chord.

Best Regards,
Wim

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
But how do you get that musician' feel into a step recording. Are they not a bit robotic?
Mike

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »
Hitting some chords give you a musisian feel?
Why are the robotic?
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »
Chord step record is very handy for entering a lead sheet. I agree that it can be tedious. Starting with an outline like a lead sheet (with measure numbers) is essential for keeping the keyboard sequence in step with the actual music.

This method effectively plays a backing track to which you may add your own melody lines. It's easy to try different styles, too.

It's no more robotic than playing the chords live with accompaniment turned on and recording the whole enchilada.

All the best -- pj

P.S. If Yamaha developers want to invest time into musically useful tool, they should implement an iPad or PC/Mac-based tool to enter lead sheets and then transfer the chords, etc. to the arranger. Chord Tracker already knows how to transfer chord accompaniment to mid-/upper-range arrangers.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:27:39 PM by pjd »

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
Wim I never used the step recording but just curious what are the "step record files" and also what do you mean that in live recording the keyboard cannot record every chord?

I record in one take as a midi file(with mistakes of course) but this way if I ever want to play the same song again,all the chords,notes,style changes,voice changes etc are there to help me to remember what exactly to do.

I think that if I was to make a commercial recording or something I would choose to record on a DAW and not on the keyboard.(even if it was a Genos)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:02:48 PM by panos »

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 03:28:32 AM »
Hitting some chords give you a musisian feel?
Why are the robotic?
Well he said ‘tune’ so I assumed a complete song, not just accompaniment.
Mike

Offline Denn

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
Groeten Wim, I have recorded quite a few songs with One Step Record. IF you want to get the left accompaniment really correct then you shift the split point up the kbd, This allows you to get ALL the written chords, like Eb maj 7/G. That chord is basically not possible with one hand. Listen to the bass chording on De Arabier (draaiorgel), it makes the music.
Regards,Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
The easiest way and quickest way is to layer your Song production using a program like Audacity.

Record your LEFT hand Accompaniment track first.

Then record your Right hand fills and leads ONE at a time to the track.

Record each track as a separate WAV track.

Next import each of the WAV tracks into Audacity as SINGLE tracks and line them up.

Now any place you find or hear a MISTAKE, you re-record just that tiny section on your keyboard. Make it into a small WAV file. Cut and Past that tiny section to correct it.

Then you will be ready to balance the whole track out VOLUME wise and then save it as an MP3. 

Making a backing track is simple this way. I have thought about doing some of my complex song arrangements this way but I like stating at my gigs that I do not use any backing tracks or midi files.

Regards
Drake

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »
I would have thought a recorded backing track would be more than just chord driven accompaniment. But if you only want chord driven accompaniment then definitely using the full keyboard and two hands to play chords is both easier and gets all chords. If you use a piano, organ or guitar sound simultaneously you also get all the passing notes.
Mike

kmspecialties

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »
Thank you all for your help and suggestions
Bob

Offline dh110953

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »
How do you use Drop in and Drop Out. I have recorded a Midi Multi Recording and all is fine though there is a slight pause e.g. in essence an extra bar that I would like to remove to make the music sound more joined up. I am not sure how to do this using MIDI Multi Recording on my GENOS and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

David
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »
How do you use Drop in and Drop Out. I have recorded a Midi Multi Recording and all is fine though there is a slight pause e.g. in essence an extra bar that I would like to remove to make the music sound more joined up. I am not sure how to do this using MIDI Multi Recording on my GENOS and any help would be appreciated.

David,

Please don't hijack threads. If you have a new question, start a new topic.

Assuming you mean Punch In/Out, try:
-- Press Recording
-- Tap Midi Multi Recording
-- Tap Normal (next to Start) to get the punch in/out menu.
-- Specify which bars to start and stop
-- Tap the channels you want recorded

However, if you want to remove a bar, you'll need to edit the file (Step Edit on the same screen).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: dh110953