Author Topic: Articulation voices  (Read 4012 times)

Aussiejean

Articulation voices
« on: March 29, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,  Could someone please tell me how to make the most of the Articulation voices. I have the silver trumpet on, with controller on articulation 1 and the foot pedal in Number 2  and the registration sequence off, but I cant hear any difference whether I push the pedal or not. I'm not sure what I am supposed to hear. There is no info in the manual and the info on the voice button is pretty useless. Any help would be appreciated. It seems to be such a big feature on the keyboard and it is a pity not to know what to do with it. Cheers ,Jean from Melbourne.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Articulation voices
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 03:55:29 PM »
Hi Jean,

If you open the Voice selection screen, you can see brief information about the currently selected voice by pressing the 'INFO' button (lower #6 on an S970) at the bottom of the screen.   Select a voice first to see any specific info about it.

The switched effects in S.Art voices differ depending on the voice, but in the case of the S.Art Trumpet voices such as the 'SilverTrumpet', the Articulation 1 and Articulation 2 effects (triggered by assigning to a pedal on PSRs) are short 'breath noises', which play once each time that you briefly press the pedal.  They do not affect the main trumpet sound at all.  Once you have assigned the function to a pedal and selected this voice, you can simply press the pedal to hear the effect without needing to play the keys. This will let you hear the effect without being hidden by any other sounds.   

For this voice on my Tyros4 these effects are not very loud, and would probably not even be noticed if they were used during play! It makes me wonder why Yamaha bothered with them.  ???

However the real benefit of S.Art voices are the effects on the sound of the voice that depend on how you play the keys, Legato or Staccato play for example.  The 'Info' display shows the specific effects (if any) for each voice.

Regards

Ian

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:56:43 PM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, EileenL

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 07:10:46 PM »
Thanks Ian!  Useful info for me too! But I wonder if the effect can be asigned to a panel button or live control knob on my S975 instead of a pedal?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »
Hi Toril,

I don't think that there are any assignable buttons on the S970 or the S975 models!  The button marked 'Assign' just above the two knobs simply opens the 'Live Assign' display for you to check, select and change the functions currently assigned to the knobs. 

Regarding the 2 assignable knobs, the articulation functions are not really something that you would assign to a variable knob, and unsurprisingly they don't appear in the 'Assignable Knob Functions' list on page 12 of the S975 Reference Manual.

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
Thank you so much Ian!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Aussiejean

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 11:28:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply Ian. I heard the "breath " noise, but it was so soft that with the style playing it was
 not audible. It is pouring rain here today, so I will have a play with all the "art" voices and see what happens. Cheers Jean.

Offline Denn

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »
Hello, On my T4 if you play legato, play a note then the same note an octave above (or below) and the voice will slide up into the new note. Difficult to describe. You must be MONO to get the effect. The Wav file is the Silver Trumpet SA voice.
Regards,Denn

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:58:22 AM by Denn »
Love knitting dolls

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »
Hello, On my T4 if you play legato, play a note then the same note an octave above (or below) and the voice will slide up into the new note. Difficult to describe. You must be MONO to get the effect. The Wav file is the Silver Trumpet SA voice.
Regards,Denn

Hi Denn,

In this instance you are not triggering a S.Articulation effect!

What you are actually doing by turning on the MONO button is enabling Portamento, and assuming that the Portamento Time is set higher than zero in the Voice Set, you will get a 'slide' between any two notes played legato, not just an octave apart!   If the notes are very close together the slide may be too quick to perceive, but it is there!

This is not confined to S.Art voices, any voice type other than S.Articulation2 and OrganFlutes can produce this effect if the Portamento Time is higher than zero and MONO is turned on.  If Harmony is turned on for the voice, this can interfere with the effect. 

For those voices that you can use like this, there is a difference between the S.Art and the other types!  For S.Art voices the effect only applies if you play legato and so you can chose to trigger it or not by your playing style.  However, for the other voice types that can be used with the portamento effect, the last note played is remembered and used as the start note of the next slide, even if you play staccato!  This means that you will always get a slide to the next note that you play (assuming that it is a different note), even if there has been a period when no notes were played for that voice part!  This can catch you out in some situations! 

The S.Articulation2 voices usually don't allow you to turn on MONO or adjust the Portamento Time, so you can't trigger the above effect with them, but many of them already contain an auto glissando effect, triggered if two notes are played legato, a seventh to an octave apart.

Regards

Ian