Author Topic: Genos Serious Health Concerns  (Read 5110 times)

Offline elad770

Genos Serious Health Concerns
« on: March 29, 2019, 04:34:55 AM »
I write this post with the hope that someone can understand where I'm coming from and even experience something similar

Lately I've noticed something:

Every time i play the Genos i come across sounds that are so moving and powerful that i immediately act on the urge of turning the volume up (Usually to the Max Level)
This happens so many times that I'm afraid my ears will get hurt. This happens again and again and again . By the time I finish a session in my basement I feel I just stepped out from an amazing loud concert or a party and thinking to myself: Did i just play that? I often need time to recouperate from the impactful experience. I never was able to get excited from playing, and because of the Genos, i think I will go deaf!

The Genos is also the main factor of my sleep deprivation. I sit down for literally 10min after I come back from work and before I even have the chance to play few songs I see the clock at 3:00 am, and I can't believe it!

I'm away from my family, not giving them the same attention and lately the only interaction I have with them is when they come down to tell me to turn in DOWN! we can't fall asleep

Not sure what to do....

I'm obviously kidding though everything i said above IS true! I'm very happy :)

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Genos Serious Health Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 06:27:22 AM »
I don't think I could give any suggestions regarding ( Time of Playing)

But the Speakers I could.

It could be Possible to get a Smaller Speaker,,,
Also Sound Absorbers.
Like Bass Traps. 

Since it's a basement a lot of the surface in that room may just be hard. 

Room Size matters too.   

Another Cheap Alternative may be.
Ear Plugs.

https://youtu.be/7Yv2HmE-eG8

Hope this Video helps you.

Other members here have much more experience than me.
They will be able to help better.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:53:20 AM by Normanfernandez »
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Del B

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
Just be aware of the loudness to your ears

Sound waves travel into the ear canal until they reach the eardrum. The eardrum passes the vibrations through the middle ear bones or ossicles into the inner ear. The inner ear is shaped like a snail and is also called the cochlea. Inside the cochlea, there are thousands of tiny hair cells. Hair cells change the vibrations into electrical signals that are sent to the brain through the hearing nerve. The brain tells you that you are hearing a sound and what that sound is.

Each hair cell has a small patch of stereocilia sticking up out of the top it. Sound makes the stereocilia rock back and forth. If the sound is too loud, the stereocilia can be bent or broken. This will cause the hair cell to die and it can no longer send sound signals to the brain. In people, once a hair cell dies, it will never grow back. The high frequency hair cells are most easily damaged so people with hearing loss from loud sounds often have problems hearing high pitched things like crickets or birds chirping.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
Hello Elad. I have the same problem even though I have a Tyros😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline svpworld

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »
I totally understand your 'concerns' Elad, especially if you put it through a really good PA system!  At home I usually have mine connected via a mixer to a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP audio interface that drives my Yamaha HS6's. I have to say even after well over a year, the sound quality still blows me away.  The same goes for the Yamaha MODX, Yamaha really do produce some amazing sounding keyboards.  I've also got a Yamaha PAS400 PA system I use for church - until now I've been playing the PSR-S950 at church as I'm still a bit nervous about taking the Genos, however playing Genos through that set up in the living room is just mind blowing.  The analog outputs also are so good that other than direct recording into Logic Pro (my DAW), I don't use the digital output for live playing.  With good headphones it also sounds amazing!

Simon

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
Hi Elad --

It's really important to protect one's hearing. Our ears are our most important tool.

At home, I resist the urge to turn up beyond a relatively moderate level. I've marked the Genos and mixer so it's easy to dial in that standard level. Louder is perceived as "better", so it's tempting to reach for the volume knob. I also take a break after each hour since my ears/mind lose objectivity (musical judgement).

Like Simon, I play at church, too. Our floor monitors are Yamaha DBR-10s, which the drummer or guitarists seem to crank up. I've been surreptitiously turning the volume down.  :-[ I perceive loud music now as (sometimes) painful noise and will not play with the 6pm group because, frankly, they play too darned loud.

I also escape loud DJs at social occasions like wedding receptions. I usually find myself outside with my brother-in-law who's ears are shot from playing in clubs his whole life. Better safe than sorry...

All the best -- pj

DonM

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »
A few "got it".  Others didn't.  :)

The following users thanked this post: bryan01

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 07:25:20 PM »
Elad
Not too bad, it’s only your family and your hearing. It was really serious for me when I first got my arranger because it interfered with my golf. I had to get therapy.
Mike😄

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »
Plus 1, Don!

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Another important aspect about hearing is, we need to take a break after playing for about 20 minutes. Not only is it good for posture and your eyes, but it also lets your brain re-set the hearing threshold. The tendency is to turn the volume up after you get used to hearing music for a few minutes because your brain protects your hearing at a certain point. By taking a break, the perceived baseline (not to be confused with "bass line") is reset to a lower level - back to normal before you started playing.

I set my volumes at a reasonable level and leave them alone. If the sound seems too low after a while, rather than crank up the volume, I leave the Genos for 10 minutes. When I come back, it sounds louder because my brain has re-set the perceived sound level.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:28:13 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline elad770

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 02:09:12 AM »
Ok, so before everyone providing me with their diagnosis let me say that I do appreciate the explanation on hearing or hearing loss in this case

I can promise you I'm not abusing my ears. I was sharing my personal experience as a way to convey how much I love this machine! The Genos did something that my PSR didn't do!
The expression of sounds and the way they are presented to the listener is so detailed that it's merely moving and exciting. I play for many years but never got emotional while playing. Simply because I was playing, so it was hard to contemplate on what a song means to me. With the Genos it's different: I feel I'm more expressing myself through the instrument, and the Genos is allowing me to do so (I know it sounds poetic, but it's the truth). I think that's the reason why I'm turning the Volume Up and up and up because I want more of it!

I just ordered a set of JBL 306p MKII, so my ears will get an additional stimulus LOL  :P.

I can look at it this way: If I'm risking my ears and bothering my family to sleep at the same time, Maybe when my family will have enough of it I won't Hear them on there way out!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
Weonderful😀😀❤️
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »
Elad, it's so nice hear you say those things about your Genos playing experiences. Yes, the Genos sounds are among the best on the planet. The more they move you emotionally, the better you will play. Congrats on your new speaker purchase. JBL makes great products!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
I only played in rock bands from 15 to 30..  Then I moved to recording studios.. A brilliant technician strongly influenced me to be aware of ear damage.  So I have always been moderate in playback volumes.. Yes it is very intoxicating to play music at loud volumes.  I have friends who have spend 3 - 5 decades of playing in loud bands.  All have moderated to serious hearing problems. Some have had to stop playing music because of continuous ringing. 

I have also been guilty of working on music till I could no longer stay awake, neglecting meals, appointments, a social life.  In my old age. I have learn I have to balance my life and activities, if I wish to continue to make music..

playing, creating music can be a form of addiction. That is you will want to do music at the expense of other activities which are necessary for your long term health.  Yes, the Genos can be very exciting. But one must exercise discipline in keeping a balanced life,

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
So true. For all keyboards :) I have been awake many nights because I just couldn't leave the keyboard! I have a T5 and an S975.
It was not possible to fit the Tyros in my living room, so I have the S975 there, and the Tyros in my study. That turned out to be a little dangerous for the health, and for other activities. When I leave the Tyros and go to my study to do some serious work on my PC, - there stands the Tyros and whispers, "please turn me on!" No work on the PC :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.