Author Topic: Screeching Strings  (Read 4137 times)

Offline geoff5798

Screeching Strings
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
Hi, I am a newbie. Whilst getting to know my PSR S775 I have been mainly using piano / organ types sounds. I have now been trying some string sounds such as the preset Concert strings and the studio strings. They sound really awful, a very hi pitched screeching sound , not very pleasant at all. Can anyone recommend any settings or tweaks I can make in in the EQ, voice Or settings, or any parameters so that the sound sweeter and more responsive.

Thanks
Geoff

The following users thanked this post: DerekA

Offline DerekA

Re: Screeching Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:53:14 PM »
Can you first check that the 'initial touch' button lit so that the keyboard is sensing how hard you are hitting the keys. If that's off it will assume full velocity which would indeed sound terrible.
Genos

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
Geoff. You have not stated what your keyboard is using to output it's sound, maybe the speakers you are using. The Yamaha Satellites & Bass system gives highs & lows but does lack middle frequency which can result in the string sound you are getting.

Suggest you test using very good quality headphones to be able to hear direct from keyboards output.
DGX670

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 12:30:09 AM »
I use the release effect and combine string/orchestra sounds together and never a sound alone.
I don't use these two sounds much and prefer the live! strings and other orchestra sounds which are in the GM,GM2 and legacy folders (if still named that way in s775).

Live Strings! sound as a second sound at a lower volume usually makes the primary sound more..."sweet".

Also don't be afraid to test every effect in voice set to hear the difference that make to a any kind of sound.

And don't forget the harmony button.
Even with the usage of the octave harmony, you've got an extra note and remember that usually the varioous types of strings in an orchestra play a lot of notes together(like chords playing) and not a single finger melody in order to have a "rich" sound and not a single violin sound.
So if you can find a harmony type that fits to the song's melody you are playing it will sound a lot better unless you allready using 3-5 right hand fingers to play a melody.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 02:27:49 AM »
You may also be playing them at too high a pitch.
Mike

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. The speakers that I use are the inbuilt speakers on the S775. I do have the harmony button lit. Not really sure what I should set the harmony settings to. I will try as suggested to use the touch button. Only problem with that is that if I am also playing piano type sounds in the second voice I really have to bash the keys to get any sound. I have my touch settings on soft.
Geoff

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »
If touch is off, your strings will sound awful.

If the piano is too soft with touch on, you can go into the voice set screen for the part (L, R1 or R2) and adjusts the touch sense 'offset' value. This makes it think you are hitting the keys harder than you actually are, but only for that voice.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: geoff5798

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
Thanks Derek, I will try that. I am not really familiar with things like offset values yet , but I will have a play-around with it.
Geoff

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »
One way to mellow out strings is to layer the strings (RIGHT1) with a soft warm pad (RIGHT2). Adjust the volume balance between the two layers. Roland, for example, has a Classic patch "Warm Strings," which is built this way. It really takes the edge off the strings.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline sooty8

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
Geoff

I had the same problems on the Tyros 5 and my S975, I miix my strings with live strings and movie strings, this makes the string sound warmer, try without the harmony  button down, if you want more fuller stings press the harmony button down.
I think you will find you have the same problem on the Genos, you have to mix the strings. My old S950 came out of the box with with lovely strings, in fact very little  mixing was required. Try this method, see if you like it.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
Thanks everybody. I will try using soft warm pad as pj recommends and also mixing with other strings as Steve recommends . So far I have had a little play-around with the offset controls and found a very small improvement. I have tried touch depth at 75 and offset on 72. I have therefore put the offset up and the depth down. Does anyone have any ideal numbers parameters that they use.
I would like to play more sensitively and play nice piano type pieces as well as sorting the strings out. I would love to be able to just "tickle " the key and produce a soft but yet audible sound like you get on  a piano with weighted keys. I realise of course  I am being unrealistic as I am the owner of a keyboard and I  have only just started to learn and need years of practice.

Geoff

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:16:18 PM »
Just to check you also know that if you press the 'balance' button, you can reduce the volume of either voice - this is another way to soften out the strings so they don't overpower the piano.
Genos