Author Topic: Problem with the internal Audio USB recorder of the DGX650  (Read 5949 times)

Offline vbdx66

Problem with the internal Audio USB recorder of the DGX650
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »
Hello to all,

Although I am supposed to moderate this board, I have encountered an issue to which I don’t have find a solution yet.

I have recorded a song on the MIDI 6-tracks recorder of my Casio CT-X800 keyboard and since it doesn’t have an onboard audio interface nor a feature to record audio on an USB stick, I have connected the Audio Out of the CT-X800 to the Aux In of the DGX650. I have then played my song back on the CT-X800 while using the audio recording feature of the DGX650 to record the song on a USB stick in audio format (WAV. file).

Very oddly, the resulting stereo WAV. file had a wrong panning, with almost all the sound on the left side of the stereo image. I was then forced to convert the stereo WAV. file to a mono MP3.

I don’t understand what the problem might be coming from. I have listened to the song as recorded on the MIDI recorder of the CT-X809 through stereo headphones plugged in the headphone jack, and the stereo image is correct.

I wonder if the issue might come from the cable I am using to connect the audio (headphones) output of the CT-X800 to the Aux In Jack of the DGX650, or whether I maybe have done something wrong during the recording process.

What do you guys think? Have you encountered a similar issue yet?

All help appreciated,

Thanks,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Problem with the internal Audio USB recorder of the DGX650
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »
According to the manual, you should use a cable with a mini (3.5 mm) stereo plug at the DGX-650 end, and a plug that matches your external player at the other.

The 'Phones/Output' socket on the Casio is stereo, so you should use a stereo cable with stereo (TRS) plugs at both ends.

If this is what you are already doing, then check the cable with another device or a multi meter.  You can also use headphones to check that the Casio is outputting sound on both stereo channels.

Regards

Ian

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your help.

I already checked the headphones output of the CT-X800 and the audio comes correctly out in stereo.

I’ll check my audio cable and may double-check with a second cable (I must have a second stereo cable lurking somewhere in the house).

Regards,

Vinciane

Roy_T

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:57 PM »
Vinciane

Many of the mini 3.5mm connections can give the impression that the plug is fully inserted, when in fact, it is not, and requires a little extra force.  When this happens, you will only hear one channel and on the opposite side from where it belongs.  There should be no space between the plug's casing and the jack's mounting ring.  This assumes that the connection "leaves" inside the jack are not bent or broken.

Roy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:41:00 PM by Roy_T »

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »
Thanks Roy.

Unfortunately the CT-X800 is in the repair shop because of two faulty keys. When it’ll be back I’ll try to record the song again to see if I get better results, double-checking that the cable is correctly inserted. If it still doesn’t work, I’ll try with another cable.

Regards,

Vinciane