Author Topic: REVIEW: LD Systems Maul 5 Line Array Speaker  (Read 9081 times)

REVIEW: LD Systems Maul 5 Line Array Speaker
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
I received my new Maui 5 powered PA speaker yesterday. I put about three solid hours on it and here are my initial impressions. All of my testing (so far) has been with Genos EQ set to flat.

First, I'm really glad I ordered it! :)

After trying several powered speakers, including the Genos 2.1 system, two different pairs of expensive studio monitors (Yamaha and Focal), and the $5,000 Bose F1 system, I believe this is the first time I've truly heard what my Genos is supposed to sound like. I feel like I'm finally hearing the Genos I heard in all those early demos that made me want one in the first place. It's inspiring.

The Bose F1 certainly sounds awesome with the Genos, but I've only experienced using it in larger venues, which is a different animal than playing at home, at a house concert, or an intimate venue like a coffee shop, that's where I've always felt things were lacking, at least for my style of playing, which requires tight, punchy bass, warm midrange, and clear, non-piercing highs.

Those are all kind of technical terms, but what it really comes down to for me is the feeling when you really dig into the keyboard. When I'm playing piano and grab an octave in the lower register with gusto, I want to feel it in my gut, big and round. Same with the drums. Feel and groove are really important to me, and so far, the Maul is delivering.

The first thing I tried was piping my phone in via Bluetooth. The bass was there but I wasn't impressed. It didn't seem to produce the proper solid low end like I've heard a thousand times in small, unimpressive subs. However, when I hooked up the Genos it was a different story. Nice!

The only negative I've noticed so far is the midrange can be harsh and screechy at times, like with brass sections and strings. I'm sure a little EQ tweaking will take care of that. I'll let you know.

While it's possible my opinion might change over the next couple of weeks, it sure doesn't seem that way so far. :)

------------
Let me share a quick point of interest regarding my purchase.

There was nowhere for me to see or hear this speaker. I only became aware of it thanks to wonderful users here on the forum.

Due to this fact, it was important for me to know the policy of the dealer I was going to purchase it from.

"What if I get it and hate it? What's your return policy?"

I'm used to dealing with Sweetwater where they'll take back anything I don't like immediately, no charge. They send a return label and I'm done. Sometimes they send UPS or FedEx to me and pick it up! I've been used to their service for more than two decades. Unfortunately, Sweetwater doesn't carry the Maui 5.

It was recommended I try Audio Works CT. Their policy was I pay the return shipping PLUS a 10% restocking fee. No thanks. :)

Then I tried Guitar Center. The Maul 5 is on their website but it's not stocked in the store. In response to my question the salesman literally said, "They're yours." Really?! Okay, not ordering from you.

Due to a freak accident, I found that you can buy LD Systems on Amazon all day long! And at the lowest price, and it's on Prime (free two-day shipping), with an option for an affordable extended warranty, and I can return it if I don't like it. DING! DING! DING! :)

I ordered my Maui 5 in about 3 minutes and it showed up two days later. Awesome!

Dang it, why did Amazon have to be the best music store for me in this instance? I would have preferred to support a dedicated store...oh well. :)

If you're considering the Maul 5 and want to ask some specific questions I'd be happy to get on a Skype call and help you however I can.

Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Re: REVIEW: LD Systems Maul 5 Line Array Speaker
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:04 PM »
Hi, Biggs :). Can you give me some comparisons against the Bose L1 Compact? Thanks.

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Geria

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »
I also bought the Maui 5 LD system through Amazon and love it. Easy set up and just right for small venues (30-50 people). Tried the Bose S1 pro with my PSR S950, but couldn't get a decent piano sound. No problem with the Maui. There are stereo inputs for the keyboard that take care of stereo sampled voices. I have the EQ on the 950 flat, Styles at 75. Turn up the bass on the Maui a bit. Played around with the "Hi Tone" knob on the Maui to get a good mid range sound. Vocals are no problem. The only thing missing is Reverb. I have always wanted a sound system that came close to what I hear through my headphones and I find the Maui is doing just that.

Gerry

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, KeyboardByBiggs

DonM

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Only thing better than the Maui 5 is TWO Maui 5s.  They will blow your socks off.
I actually have four of them, but have never used them all together.
I used Bose Compacts for several years, but the Mauis are far better for about half the price.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
Thanks, Don. I'd still like to hear them first - although someone mentioned returning them to Amazon.ca was no problem. There are no Canadian dealers.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs, GUILLERMO

Geria

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
Don,
How do you set up two Maui 5 systems? L/R mono to L/R on Maui #1 and R to R on Maui #2 ?? Just curious in case I ever need to do that.

Thanks
Gerry

The following users thanked this post: Amxf5

DonM

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
Exactly, left to left, and right to right.  Wonderful stereo sound.  The styles and voices will be panned as the manufactured intended!

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 12:42:53 AM »
Hi, Biggs :). Can you give me some comparisons against the Bose L1 Compact? Thanks.

- Lee

As good, if not better, and at WAY less money.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:44:28 AM »
I have always wanted a sound system that came close to what I hear through my headphones and I find the Maui is doing just that.

I found the same thing when I very first plugged it in and played. It was like, "THERE'S the SOUND I was looking for!"

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 12:45:18 AM »
Only thing better than the Maui 5 is TWO Maui 5s.  They will blow your socks off.
I used Bose Compacts for several years, but the Mauis are far better for about half the price.

Yep, I can attest to that!

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 12:46:25 AM »
Thanks, Don. I'd still like to hear them first - although someone mentioned returning them to Amazon.ca was no problem. There are no Canadian dealers.

That's the boat I was in. Nowhere within at least 300 miles to hear them. Went with Amazon for the return policy.

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »
Just unpacked a pair of Maui 5's now! What outputs are used to hook these up,as there are multiple speaker outputs on the Genos as you know.... thanks!

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »
Simply Main left and right.