Author Topic: Unable to configure External Controller to receive commands via wifi  (Read 2511 times)

dhts

In the Midi menu under the external controller tab you can select the Midi port on which to receive commands, e.g. Start/stop. However whilst USB-A and B are included Wifi isn't and indeed whilst I can action commands sent via a USB connected iPad I can't via a wifi connected iPad.

Seems an odd omission, anybody aware of a solution ?

dhts

Re: Unable to configure External Controller to receive commands via wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
I've had confirmation from Yamaha Support that you cannot send messages to the External Controller part of the Genos via Wifi, it needs to be a wired connection. Seems a real shame as all I need to send are simple note-on/note-off messages.
 :(

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
Genos uses MIDI, including regular DIN-5 wired MIDI, USB MIDI, and bluetooth wireless MIDI (through MD-BT01 or comparable devices), but not WiFi for MIDI commands.

WiFi on Genos is used mainly for getting network time, YEM expansion pack remote transfers, Songbook+ connection etc.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:23:56 PM by zionip »

dhts

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »
Genos uses MIDI, including regular DIN-5 wired MIDI, USB MIDI, and bluetooth wireless MIDI (through MD-BT01 or comparable devices), but not WiFi for MIDI commands.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, can I just clarify what you mean by the last point "but not Wifi for MIDI commands" - I think normal note-on note-off stuff does work via WiFi doesn't it ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:25:32 PM by dhts »

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
Hi Paul, can I just clarify what you mean by the last point "but not Wifi for MIDI commands" - I think normal note-on note-off stuff does work via WiFi doesn't it ?

Your own experience and Yamaha Support already verified that "that you cannot send messages to the External Controller part of the Genos via WiFi". 

Note-on and note-off are MIDI messages/commands.  Genos appeared to be designed to deal with MIDI messages only through wired MIDI, USB, as well as bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter plugged into Genos MIDI in and out ports.

As I put additional comment in my last reply, WiFi on Genos is used mainly for getting network time, YEM expansion pack remote transfers, Songbook+ connection etc.

Thanks,
Paul

dhts

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 07:14:54 PM »
Your own experience and Yamaha Support already verified that "that you cannot send messages to the External Controller part of the Genos via WiFi". 

Note-on and note-off are MIDI messages/commands.  Genos appeared to be designed to deal with MIDI messages only through wired MIDI, USB, as well as bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter plugged into Genos MIDI in and out ports.

There's no issue sending normal note-on/off commands to the Genos via wifi. I've tried it and it works. So for instance I can send a c#1 note and if the Receive section is configured to Keyboard on that channel the note sounds.

If I send a c#1 from an external keyboard and the External Controller section of the Genos is configured to receive commands on that channel the Style start/stop will be actioned by default.

But you can't configure External Controller menu to accept a note on to trigger say the Style Start/stop.

I can't think of a good reason for this.