Author Topic: Save left hand voice ?  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Brian 007

Save left hand voice ?
« on: March 15, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
Hi ALL,

New to this instrument so looking for a little advice , is it possible to save the left hand voice on a 975 as either a registration or ots ?

Thanks Brian007

Offline mikf

Re: Save left hand voice ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
Yes, of course. All voices can be saved.
Mike

Online DerekA

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
Yes it is - but you need to select to save the 'style' group in the registration.

Clearly for OTS that's fine, because OTS is tied to a style.

But in a registration, you can't save just the left voice without also saving the loaded style. That may or may not be a problem for you. I think there are some workarounds.
Genos

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the added info which I wasn't aware of , it will help me alot

Brian007

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the added info which I wasn't aware of , it will help me alot

Brian007

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:47 PM »
I don't think this is correct. I can save a left hand voice to a registration on my CVP  just by setting it up and by ticking voice. Cant imagine the CVP is that different.
Mike

Online DerekA

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »
The data manual for CVP 709 shows the Left voice saved as part of the Style group in a registration, same as all the S and Tyros/Genos series  :o
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
Derek
That may be correct, but you can definitely also save it just as a voice assigned to 'left'. I just tried it out.
Mike

Online DerekA

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »
I'll take your word for it then Mike. Pretty sure that's different behaviour from the S- and Tyros/Genos though.
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »
 I see no reason it couldn't just be done both ways. It could be very handy to have a couple of favorite left hand voices in a favorite voices registration bank. Why would you want to be able to do that only if you also change the style?
Mike

Online DerekA

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:04:31 PM »
I had a nosey through the CVP manual. It does seem to be using a slightly different approach, with "Left / Main / Layer" voices as opposed to L / R1 / R2 / R3. It also does group "voice" and "style" on separate pages when displaying registration contents. So I agree Mike - it would be sensible to be able to save Left independently of style on S / Tyros / Genos, but you can't.

Anyway, though, what was most interesting to me as I looked through the manual (for the first time) was that a lot of the screen layouts - especially the mixing console - actually look very much like the Genos screens. I suppose the CVP was the first arranger-style keyboard to use a touch screen, so they've reused the look and feel. I had just assumed the Genos screens were all new.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:25:59 PM »
I remember when Genos (or was it as long ago as Ty5? ) first came out Yamaha changed the category of the left voice and it could be treated as a "voice" rather than part of the Style Group. Disappointingly (well, to me because I was quite excited to see something was at long last changing) the first or second  update put it back to the old boring routine :)

Maybe the same "mistake" had been made with the CVP and had not been switched back because no one complained. Assuming  your CVP is up to date with firmware, Mike.

John

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
I have had the CVP for a while, I got the 605 first then later bought a 705. So while the debate was raging about pros and cons of touch screens on future arrangers I was already using one and knew the vast majority would love it and never want to go back.
But the idea of only being able to save a lh voice with a style does seem a bit hokey. Seems much more important than some of the other glitches and bugs that have occupied so many threads yet has never come up.
Mike