Author Topic: Band in a Box and Genos  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Oldden

Band in a Box and Genos
« on: March 12, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Hi,
I know that Band in a Box and Yamaha styles are not normally  compatable. I just wondered if anybody has found anyway of converting them or knows of anything else useful in one of them that can be used in the other.
Oldden

Offline Luluc

Re: Band in a Box and Genos
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »
I'm a newbie on Genos arranger, but I know very well BIAB.
Both Yamaha arrangers and BIAB use styles having the .STY extension.

But, there is a huge difference : keep in mind that Yamaha arrangers use several bars of a MIDI data for the A section for example. Let's say 8 bars for the A section.
In BIAB, you do not have any 8-bar A section. You have several - up to 200 or more cells - cells of 1-bar or 2-bar length. So, you will to assemble these cells to get a 8-bar section. But, in these cells, you will have a postfill bar, you will have dedicated cells for a given chord, many cells for bar#1, many cells for bar#2...or a for a given bass line...We call that 'masks'.

Furthermore, a BIAB styles has only two variations (A & B), two endings and you have no intros.

The approach of the two systems are really different. Just recall that BIAB is NOT a real-time arranger.

So, converting BIAB styles to Genos styles can be done, but it can't be done well.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

The following users thanked this post: mikenova, hans1966, Oldden

Offline markstyles

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »
I've used BIAB since the 90's.  Long before I bought a Tyros 3, my first arranger.  You can use BIAB 'sty' files but like Luluc said, the differences in design of two programs may not be that useful.

What I do is use BIAB in conjunction with Genos.  I often start songs in BIAB.  It is very helpful in quickly coming up with a great chord progression, because of how easy it is to substitute chords, and immediately hear it in a  'band'.  I often generate parts in BIAB and import them over to Genos (going thru a DAW)..  I primarily use Genos created parts, but going thru the BIAB styles, I find an interest part for an instrument.

When you have a good chord progression.  Pick the utility church style.. It generates fully blocked out (legato chords).  I then import this into my DAW, and send that to Genos chord detect track.  I sometimes use BIAB melody generator to make up parts, and import into Genos.  Sometimes the Bass or their new 'super instrument' parts, which have more variety.

Of course this is easiest with a computer and DAW ( I use Logic Pro, but any DAW will do fine)..  Band in a box still is kind of kluge (has that 80's programming look). But it is a nifty application.  I find BIAB  very useful.  I sometimes directly one of their parts into my DAW and use that.  I generate melodies, and solo's.  Then I take that idea as inspiration for a part for me to play. 

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:11 AM »
As explained in the answers above the strengh of band in a box is that its quite different from traditional arrangers..  while not compatible.. they add to eachother... 

One of the nice things in band in a box is that since the chord changes are predicted... the styles can be much more dynamic, like the last few notes in a chord allready stepping towards the next chord.

In the end, band in a box backings are closer to a midi/audio file then to a real time arranger..

As explained above, there is no easy way to convert the styles, but there are ways to record the midi from a biab track and use that as a track in a yamaha style

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
Bachus, I have BIAB. It's about five years old. If I create a MIDI background in BIAB, import it to my Genos, then it should be possible to time sync (match the tempo) it with my Genos, correct?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
I have just noticed that there is a VST daw plugin mentioned on the band in a box website. I’ve only seen it today and no idea if it works but I think it’s free.
Oldden

whataguy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
Sounds like a wife/girlfriend problem, it's either/or, both will do the job. Go with the one you like the best. D♡

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
I have just noticed that there is a VST daw plugin mentioned on the band in a box website. I’ve only seen it today and no idea if it works but I think it’s free.
Oldden

Take a look here to see how it work with DAW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVShb4lZr4w

And to read more about VST3 at PGMusic:
https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm

BiaB has grown a lot and come a long step forward since the first time I learned about it many years ago.
Maybe time to take a better look into the software for me as well.
Btw, my brother in law use it a lot and is always working at the last version.  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 07:08:25 PM »
I use BIAB quite often to create backing tracks saved as mp3 or WAV files.  These can be stored on a thumb drive and easily played on the Genos.  BIAB has hundreds of styles where ALL the parts are played by real studio musicians on real instruments.  This gives the backing tracks a much more realistic sound IMHO than MIDI generated tunes. Genos has marvelous Super Articulation voices that sound great when playing lead lines along with BIAB backing.

Two other very useful sources for backing tracks are Hal Leonard (eg. their Real Book set) and offerings from Karaoki-Version (eg, their stunning covers for “The Greatest Showman”).  You can download full tracks or minus vocal, minus piano, etc.

Joe
Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

MusoCity

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »
If you have Reaper you can try this with Band In A Box RealTracks/Drums:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226865

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cclb5zq413870e4/BB-Tracks-Live-Chord-Playing.mp4?dl=0

Not just reaper, this works for any professional daw