Author Topic: New Genos On Its Way  (Read 4307 times)

Offline porterma

New Genos On Its Way
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:03:12 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Today I was able to sell my Tyros 4 privately and have ordered my new Genos that will arrive next Friday.
While I am looking forward to all the excitement of the new keyboard and everything it can do, I know what a wonderful keyboard the Tyros 4 was and how much I enjoyed playing it over the years. Realizing, however that the Tyros 4 technology is 9 years old, I feel good about getting some money out of the sale of the old keyboard that I can put towards the purchase of the new Genos. From all I have read on this Forum I realize that there is an adjustment that has to be made with the Genos and "tweeking" that I need to do the get the best sound from the new instrument.
Any suggestions anyone has to make the adjustment go as smoothly as possible will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Tyros5Mad

Re: New Genos On Its Way
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:30:56 AM »
First adjustment is ---- it's black not silver. You will need some light when it gets to evening time.
Tip: start by listening to styles which you used in the T4. That will give you an idea of the overall Genos sound for comparison purposes.

Other than that just play and listen. You will soon find out what to tweak.

BTW can someone please test something for me? In the R&B styles section there's a Hip Hop style. When I use that style I hear a background crackling sound. It's a great style that I want to use for a song but the noise is annoying. Can someone check if they hear the same thing in this style?

Regards, Richard

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:51:13 AM »
Have fun with it Portema :)
Don't forget to adjust EQ settings with your taste, hearing and speakers, before changing the sounds for styles and voices.
If you do it backwards there will be sounds that will exaggerate.

Richard check at 2:04:24 HipHop.
No trerble and high frequences but still you can hear the sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4xBZK6mi88

Genos John

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »

BTW can someone please test something for me? In the R&B styles section there's a Hip Hop style. When I use that style I hear a background crackling sound. It's a great style that I want to use for a song but the noise is annoying. Can someone check if they hear the same thing in this style?

Hi RichardL..I checked the noise for you. Yes there is a crackling noise on HIP HOP in the R&B section.  :o

Its coming from Rhy 1 section and is most pronounced in section A although present in all four sections and it annoys me too.

However before anyone complains of more bugs ..be aware that the annoying crackling sound comes from note D0 in the Dance Kit drum set.
Note D0 is described in the Data List as vinyl noise so it just shows how realistic and accurate Yamaha go to make their styles sound authentic .. they sampled a vinyl noise(Scratches on a record) and included it in the Style.  ;D

If you turn all channels of the style down in the mixer and turn up Rhy1 you can hear the noise as the “record spins round and round” causing a crackling noise . Now you know what it is..Im sure you will agree what is causing the crackling.

Its not to my liking either but very easy to cure..either turn Rhy1 channel  down but then you loose other effects on channel B C and D, or delete note D0 (First D on left of keyboard when deleting drum note in Style Creator)

Portema..if you are anything like me ..you will love the Genos..I got mine in December .. and have hardly done any tweeks .. its a fantastic piece of kit straight out the box ..enjoy it  :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:15:11 PM »
Ummmm, vinyl record noise is part of the hip hop genre. The record noise simulates a loop taken from a vinyl record while scratching and spinning. You'll find record noise on some sounds in the Break Kit.

I've been known to drop record noise into tracks. It's not a bug...  :)

All the best -- pj

Genos John

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:19:06 PM »
Ummmm, vinyl record noise is part of the hip hop genre. The record noise simulates a loop taken from a vinyl record while scratching and spinning. You'll find record noise on some sounds in the Break Kit.

I've been known to drop record noise into tracks. It's not a bug...  :)

All the best -- pj

I think that exactly what I said Pj..so Im delighted you agree with me  ;D

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
@Mark: I am so sorry buddy. I did not mean to hijack your thread. You are going to love the Genos, no question about it. I was sold after playing it for a couple of minutes in the music shop last year. I probably paid a higher price than I should have but I did not care. I wanted it! Fast forward to today and I am not disappointed .

Regards, Richard.

PS Thanks for checking the Hip Hop style folks. I will turn down Rh1 and supplement with mpads. It's a great style for the Dido song White Flag.
RL
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:41:03 PM by RichardL »

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 11:27:24 PM »
I think that exactly what I said Pj..so Im delighted you agree with me  ;D

Great minds think alike.  :D

Hey, Mark, same here. Enjoy your new instrument!

-- pj