Author Topic: Recording with another Instrument  (Read 9391 times)

Offline Flip

Recording with another Instrument
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »
I connected my friend's electric guitar to my T4 using the Aux in/Loop Connecting External Audio Devices and the guitar and the KB are now linked and we can play together.  However, when we tried to record a song it did not pick up the guitar, only the KB   (Thanks to Fred Smith we can play together using the T4....he suggested I use the Aux In feature).  Now my ?....is it possible to record using the T4 recording features?

I hope I explained this correctly.  Flip
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:54:44 PM by Flip »

Offline mikf

Re: Recording with another Instrument
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:57:23 AM »
Are you sure you selected audio recording and not midi recording.
Mike

Offline Flip

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Yes Mike I selected the Audio feature....and the Simple choice.  Maybe I should have selected one of the other choices.  Thanks for replying.  Flip

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
I have heard many vocal recordings by you, so I know you know how to do this. Did you try putting the guitar into the mic input? Just watch your mic volume setting so you don’t overload it. It should work just like a vocal.
I am not sure about this, but there is a chance the aux input is a pass through the keyboard amp and not mixing into the recording section. That is a very uniformed comment though - I don’t know the circuitry.
Mike

Offline Flip

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:09:14 PM »
Thanks Mike, worth a try.  Perhaps it can't be done.  Regards, Flip

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
Hi Flip,

The signals from the 'Aux In' on the Tyros4 are not sent to the hard disk audio recorder, which is why you are not able to record it!

Don't ask me why this is the case since you could record the combination Line/Mic input on Tyros3, and later, on Tyros5, both the Aux Inputs and the dedicated Mic Input could be recorded! However on Tyros4 only the Mic input can be recorded.

Another example of Yamaha's 'curious' logic!

How have you been you connecting the guitar to the T4's Aux In?   Were you simply connecting it directly without any amplifier, or were you using an amplifier and connecting it's line out or headphone out to the keyboard?

Regards

Ian

Offline Flip

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »
We plugged the guitar directly into the ACC In/Loop and it worked perfectly.  We played together using the T4 for amplification.  I'll try direct to the MIC to see what happens.  Interesting older Tyros KB had the feature but not T4.  Interesting.  Thanks for the info....Flip

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:53 PM »
Flip
Well Ian has confirmed what I suspected, the aux does not go through the recording circuitry. The mic input will work.
Mike

Offline Flip

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »
I'll give it a try....thanks for the help.  Flip

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
Hi Flip,

The level of the signal from a guitar pickup is somewhat higher than that of a microphone, but as long as you start with the 'Mic Gain' control on the keyboard set to 'Min', and very slowly and carefully increase it while playing the guitar, you should be able to at least set a gain level which doesn't distort.

However, the output from a guitar pickup is very high impedance, much higher than a microphone, and the input impedance of a microphone input is optimised for that of a mic.    If you connect the guitar to the mic input, it will change the sound somewhat, typically with a loss of high frequencies.  You can decide whether the sound is acceptable to you, assuming that you can actually hear any difference - my high frequency hearing is rubbish so I probably wouldn't notice!  :'(

If you can set an acceptable level, remember that you can try using the settings on the 'Mic Settings' display. There is '3 Band Equaliser' on this display which you could try to modify the sound using this if necessary!

The relevant section of the Tyros4 manuals for Mic Settings start on page 94 of the 'Owner's Manual', and page 118 of the 'Reference Manual'. 

Regards

Ian

Offline Flip

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »
My thanks to each of you for helping me. I have saved all of your advice and can't wait to try it out.  Regards Flip

Offline Flip

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
Today my friend and I will try the Mic input to record using his guitar and my KB.  I'll post the results here.  Flip

Offline winternotes

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 01:52:53 AM »
I have not tried this in a while, but I believe that I was able to use a duel input/single output  (split cord) chord that I could plug my mic and a guitar into and then into the mic input.
Having fun in retirement

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 02:27:50 AM »
That’s not a great way. If you want to use both a small  mixer plugged into the mic input is what you need. Then you can plug both in to the mixer and have separate control of each input level.
Mike

Offline winternotes

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »
Tat sounds better, but the other did work for me.
Having fun in retirement

Offline Flip

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
Well, so far so good.  We connected the guitar to the Mic input and then adjusted per suggestions recommended. We now have a User Mic setting saved.  However, the guitar had a battery that did interfered with the sound....but not too bad.  My friend will come over with a true electric guitar...the idea being that it will not impact the sound as much.  I'll let everyone per this post know what happens.  I'll post one of our songs soon.  Flip

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
Great!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 03:43:16 AM »
I did this with my son and everything worked just fine using the PSR-S950. Just have to be sure the switch next to the input is properly set.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Flip

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »
Thanks Toril......and of course glad to have your input Gary.....My best, Flip

Offline Flip

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
 :)  Here is the end result.  It took patience and a lot of alignment of both the KB and the electric guitar.....we changed guitars and this one worked, Fender Stratocaster.  So, thanks for all your help.  Now we will have fun.  Again Thanks!  Flip

https://youtu.be/lV6fAOI1XfM

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »
The result was fantastic!! Well done to you both!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page