Author Topic: Can I see all files on my USB stick in the Genos screen?  (Read 4357 times)

khudson7

Can I see all files on my USB stick in the Genos screen?
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
Is there a way(I have not found it yet) to just see all the files on my USB stick from the Genos screen? 

It appears Genos has mostly specific file viewers that only show files related to that viewer, i.e. there is a viewer to see registration files, style files, playlist files, etc.etc.  But it seems I have to take the USB to my computer to actually see all the files, directories etc. on the stick.  Is there a way to see everything(files and directories) on the stick in the Genos?  Or do I have to keep getting up and going into the next room where the computer is, in order to view everything on the stick.

Thanks,
Ken
P.S. Guess I could move the computer into the same room as the Genos, to save a few steps...but that would be too logical for me. :-[ :-\ ::) 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:53:36 PM by khudson7 »

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Can I see all files on my USB stick in the Genos screen?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
Is there a way(I have not found it yet) to just see all the files on my USB stick from the Genos screen? 

It appears Genos has mostly specific file viewers that only show files related to that viewer, i.e. there is a viewer to see registration files, style files, playlist files, etc.etc.  But it seems I have to take the USB to my computer to actually see all the files, directories etc. on the stick.  Is there a way to see everything(files and directories) on the stick in the Genos?  Or do I have to keep getting up and going into the next room where the computer is, in order to view everything on the stick.

Thanks,
Ken
P.S. Guess I could move the computer into the same room as the Genos, to save a few steps...but that would be too logical for me. :-[ :-\ ::)

The answer to your question is no. All Yamaha keyboards work this way. You need to use a computer to do what you want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:54:01 PM »
Yamaha arrangers implement what is called "masking"  that is to say when you select styles, then all you will see is styles files. When you select Multi Pads, only Multi Pads will be displayed, etc.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »
And rhe masking is a really good and helpful feature. Makes everything neat and easy for us.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:46:01 AM »
And rhe masking is a really good and helpful feature. Makes everything neat and easy for us.

Except when you want to manage your files from the Genos instead of from a PC.
I personally don't understand why there is no utillity : browse disc/USB
sometimes that comes in handy, as the OP asked, and it will not be in the way of the masking.

Audrey Turner

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 12:54:51 AM »
No you cannot see the screen very clearly at all.  I was able to play the Genos at Seacroft Music week  and was very impressed with it's improved sound, colour coding and compatability with my computer so on impulse I bought one.

However,I quickly became disenchanted with it as on two occasions whilst on a 'gig' I had to stand up to see the screen which was very embarrassing, so I sold it within 2 weeks and bought another Tyros 5-61 simply for it's movable, very clear screen and I do not regret doing so at all.  Whatever was Yamaha thinking of discarding the best part of their keyboard? 

However if they do update the Genos complete with a movable screen like the Tyros 5, I would
consider another trade-in if the price is right, simply for the excellent Rock-n-Roll styles which I thought were very authentic.

Audrey Turner

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »
Audrey, those rock styles are converted for T5 by Onacimus on this forum. Try them out, they sound great. I too purchased a T5 instead of the Genos.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page