Author Topic: Can't connect PSR to the PC  (Read 8831 times)

marc1956

Can't connect PSR to the PC
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:56:29 AM »
For uploading STY files into the keyboard I have to connect it to the PC.  Uploaded several styles the same way into the keyboard.
This morning I wanted upload more in the same way I ever did, but Music Uploader comes with the same messag: Keyboard not contect.

Bougth a new cable, started the PC again, started the keyboard again in several ways but the outcome is still the same.

Anybody has a solution, or is familliar with this and can solve the problem

Marc

SeaGtGruff

Re: Can't connect PSR to the PC
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
I think I’ve seen/gotten that error before, but I don’t remember the details. I’ll try to find my old post about it.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
Okay, I think I found what I was looking for, but I haven’t tried it out on my system yet to verify.

If I remember correctly, there should be an option/button for you to check or test the connection, so you should start by doing that.

You should get a window with two list boxes— one showing the available MIDI “In” devices and the other showing the available MIDI “Out” devices.

Make sure your keyboard is the selected device in BOTH of those list boxes, not just one of them, then click the button to check the connection.

I think that should let the program reestablish a successful connection with your keyboard.

marc1956

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
Thanks Michael.
That worked. I have a connection between the Keyboard and the PC.
If I select the file from the PC it lights  up, but the button (Move) doesn't.
If the keyboard wasn't find on the PC the arrow for Moving the file to the keyboard was lighting up.
I had to give it up now.......because otherwise I throw it out of the window >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :-\

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
Do not do that. The PSR cannot fly😀😅
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

marc1956

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
Did you ever get it working again?

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Hi, I had also the problem that I couldn't get a connection (PSR S770) with the PC (Windows) throught Musicsoft Downloader. Struggled a while around and decided to reinstall the Midi-driver (file: UM314x64.zip; downloadable from Yamaha) again. And that worked for me...
My best regards,
Ton

marc1956

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
Did you ever get it working again?

Untill today no...

Marc

Roy_T

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
on: March 03, 2019, 08:46:44 AM marc1956 said:

Thanks Michael.
That worked. I have a connection between the Keyboard and the PC.
If I select the file from the PC it lights  up, but the button (Move) doesn't.
If the keyboard wasn't find on the PC the arrow for Moving the file to the keyboard was lighting up.

From the above quote, it appears that Marc has resolved his basic connectivity problem, but now is having problems transferring certain files to his PSR-E403.  From his other posts, here on the forum, I take it that he has moved-on from transferring files from the CD-Rom, that came with the keyboard, to files that he has downloaded from the PSR Tutorial site.  On one of his other posts, I saw that he is already aware that he needs SFF-1 styles.  That being the case, I would guess that his current problem is most likely STY files that are too large (larger than 52Kb), assuming that the E403 is similar to the E43X line, in that respect.

If that is the case, he can use Michael Bedesem's and Jorgen Sorensen's utilities from the PSR Tutorial site to trim and mix and match parts of styles, so that they will fit into the user style slot on the E403.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:08:18 PM by Roy_T »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:05:16 PM »
Something I just thought of— the filename extension probably needs to be either .MID for a song file or .STY for a style file. Other Yamaha models can use a variety of filename extensions for style files, but the PSR-E models aren’t programmed to recognize anything other than .STY, so if you’re trying to use a style file that came from another model then you might need to rename the extension to .STY.

marc1956

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »
Thanks Guys,

The file is reduced to 7 kb because with my other STY files larger then 20Kb it was a problem. With Jorgen Sorensen file reducer I brought it back from 38kb to 7 kb. I use only the files that are interesting.
Must I bring them up to more kb???

Marc

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »
You have a PSR-E403? I have a YPT-400, which is the same model with a different name. If you post the file, or email it to you, I can see what happens when I try to transfer it to my YPT-400. It may also help if you could post a screenshot from the MusicSoft Downloader showing your keyboard’s memory. I’m wondering if perhaps there’s not enough free memory for the file, or something like that.

Roy_T

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 02:49:29 AM »
I agree, Michael !  He should not have to reduce the file size to just 7Kb (and it is still not loading).  Surely his E403 is similar, if not identical, to the other E series (or at least the E4XX series) boards in this respect.  I would be interested in knowing which style he is trying to load, and where it came from.  There is one additional item, aside from style file extension and file size, and SFF format, all of which we have already mentioned, that will keep a style file from loading into an E series board.  Beginning with the PSR-3000, there are some styles which have an entirely different melodic pattern (usually in one of the intros or endings) if you play a minor chord as opposed to a major chord.  I read somewhere that the PSR-3000 has four of these, but I do not know that for certain.  The only one I know about, so far, is the "Ibiza 2004" style.  Intro 3 is a dual melodic phrase intro.  Since it is one of my favorite styles, I just had to try to fit it into my PSR-E433.  It is a huge file, but with Michael's and Jorgen's utilities, I finally managed to cobble it down to about 49Kb.  I kept the original Intro 3 and put it into the new Intro 1 slot, but no matter how hard I tried, it just would not load, unless I scrapped the original Intro 3 and spliced in the original Intro 1 or 2 instead.  If Marc has got his hands on one of these, it is never going to load until he gets rid of the dual phrase part.  The E series boards operating systems just do not understand these kinds of styles.  Typically, the E Series boards can and will load "3 Intro/Ending and 4 Main" styles and use what they can and just ignore the rest, as long as the overall file size is not too large, but apparently not if any one of the parts is a dual phrase part.  We discussed this very item in another thread here several weeks or a couple of months ago.  I wonder if one of these dual phrase styles would load into the PSR-2000/2100.  I suspect not.

Roy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:13:14 AM by Roy_T »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 06:18:23 AM »
I wonder if it could be something like not choosing the correct destination to move the file to? There are two areas of memory inside the keyboard— the system memory which is where the User Songs are recorded, Registrations, User Style, and Backup Parameters; and the flash memory which is like a hard drive that you can transfer song files and style files to. You can transfer a saved Backup File to the system memory, but you cannot transfer any song files or style files there.

Roy_T

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 06:39:18 AM »
Yeah, I guess we will just have to sit tight until marc gets back with some answers.  I really did not intend to get that involved in that "dual phrase" business here, but I did that more for your sake than marc's.  I wasn't sure if you were aware of that other thread I mentioned or not.  That is something that can give you all kind of fits if that is a user's problem, and you are not aware of it.

marc1956

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 07:15:55 PM »
Oke, That's it guys,
When naming the word FlashMemory  I highlight that. And guess what. The style could be loaded. That's where it went wrong.
You are both so helpfull.......many, many thanks.

Marc

Roy_T

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »
OK marc!  Great!  Looks like you can put this one to bed, but if you are going to be doing this regularly, keep in mind those other items we mentioned above, so that you don't get tripped up by any of them!

Thanks, Michael!  Looks like you pegged another one!

Regards,

Roy