Author Topic: Suggestions for which keyboard to buy  (Read 2200 times)

randelph

Suggestions for which keyboard to buy
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:15:08 AM »
Hi everyone, first time posting.

I recently had my keyboard stolen, a Casio MZ-X500, which goes for $1,100.  Really enjoyed it, 40 watts of speakers in your face, good sounds, decent keybed, mic input, light weight, organ drawbar sliders, touch sensitive pads, etc. Really miss it.

I don't have $1,100 now but I want as much of what I had as possible.  For example, I can buy a used PSR EW400 for $150, and with that i get 24 watts of speaker power, 76 keys (!), line level audio input, light weight, better than decent keybed (?), 2 knobs for tweaking and a pitch wheel.  That's alotta keyboard for not much.

The only thing missing from it is a mic input (that can be routed to fx), MIDI 5-pin din input and output , a mod wheel, MIDI controller capabilities (having assignable sliders for iPad apps for example), an expression pedal input, better quality sounds, and even better speaker/amp capabilities.

I'm not one to use the arranger functions on these boards (though the rhythm patterns can be fun), and end up buying arranger keyboards 'cause of the built-in speakers and a mic input, light weight, portability, and oftentimes low price.

Anyways, I play pop/jazz/blues/rock, the usual, love to rock a Left Hand bass.  I'm not AS particular as I used to be about the sound quality of the built-in sounds, 'cause once I start layering them with iPad apps, I get some truly gorgeous sounds.

And yeah, sure, I can get almost everything (76 notes is challenging) with $1000 and up arranger boards, but even then I'm not getting much in the way of a control surface or faders to control ipad / computer apps.  I suppose I could add a small box of MIDI faders, but I'd probably have to have a keyboard with MIDI 5-pin din sockets.

Anywhoo, besides appreciating keyboard suggestions based on what I've shared so far- besides that, I do have a little money at the moment, and am deciding between a used Korg PA 80 (circa 2000) for $450 and the PSR EW 400 for $150, a board from a few years ago.  The PSR seems like a steal, and with 76 keys(!).  But the PA 80 would have better sounds, a bad *** speaker system, mic input and more, but weighs 30 pounds and is close to 20 years old!

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks, Randy