Author Topic: Adding additional DSP effects... how to edit parameters?  (Read 2862 times)

Offline svpworld

Adding additional DSP effects... how to edit parameters?
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked before, just thought I'd just check if anyone has found a solution.
For a single DSP effect on a track, it's easy enough to edit the settings using the Voice screen or mixer panel.
From the mixer you can assign additional DSPs to a track, so for example as well as a default chorus you can add a phaser.
Now from either the voice screen or mixer if you go to edit the DSP parameters, you see the new 2nd DSP settings.... but how to get back to the first DSP settings?   I've tried everything but I cannot figure out how to choose from additional DSPs on a single track in order to adjust them.

Yamaha, please add this to your next OS update!   I have emailed Yamaha about this but unfortunately they never responded :-(
I'm guessing it would be possible using Sys Ex messages, so hopefully Yamaha or someone with the necessary skills will come up with a program or plug-in that could do this... now that would be awesome.  I would more than happily pay for a plugin in Logic Pro (AU plugin) or even a standalone app that could enable me to configure the voices and effects of the Genos in my DAW.     
My current workflow involves creating a skeleton song in the recorder of the Genos and then importing this into Logic.  Even so , it doesn't always set up the DSPs correctly (I think the midi events are too close together for the DAW to recognise them) so I have to save a copy of the midi skeleton song on the Genos and play it before commencing working on it with Logic Pro.   Not great but at least it gets me by.

Thanks from a rambling musician in the UK!

Simon

(still recovering from hand tendon repair so only just returning to playing keys again after 3 months)

alfaholic

Re: Adding additional DSP effects... how to edit parameters?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »
The only solution to this is to turn off the second DSP, then you will see the first one in your chain. You can tweak it, and then turn on the second one.
This is not a real solution because in order to tweak your chain you need to hear and tweak them both at the same time, which is impossible now.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »
We can call each insert effect and edit it as you wish without excluding others. A small trick should be used and we can do it without any problems. Watch my videos in 1,35 seconds.
https://youtu.be/KqBuUkCz7Bk

@svpworld, I wish a fast recovery of your hand.

Best regards, ckobu
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: GUILLERMO

Offline murrayb

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »

Good video, but:

You can adjust individual DSP's using this method, but you can only save the last adjusted DSP (last one assigned to the voice) in a registration.

Tyros 5 and prior keyboards only had the DSP MSB, LSB and on/off status saved with each voice.  After T5, the voice DSP section was expanded to include detailed settings that could be adjusted.  There is one DSP detail section for each voice in the registration file.  With the Genos, there are now 28 DSP insertion sections, but these sections only contain the DSP's MSB, LSB and either the assigned voice number or Off.

Since the assignments you made were stored in the 28 insert sections, it would appear when you select the registration button that all the adjustments you made were saved, but sorry only the last one is actually retained, all the others will revert to default values.  It appears that any adjustments made to individual DSP's will remain in effect until replaced, by selecting another registration button.

It seems that the design of the Genos system allowed you to tailor the primary DSP assigned to a voice and save those changes in a registration, but any further layering (though also saved in the registration) would use the default values for the additional DSPs. 

Some have indicated that this is a bug, I think it's more of an evolution. 

Cheers,

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
Some have indicated that this is a bug, I think it's more of an evolution. 

Unfortunately, this kind of evolution didn't evolve for decades...  :-\
Regards, Michael

Offline svpworld

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:01:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I guess the only option is to carefully set up each DSP before allocating the next and then save the result in a registration or otherwise.  :-)

Simon