Author Topic: Flash memory types (limits) and lag time using mp3 no luck with PNY256GB  (Read 2829 times)

Offline franksboard

I purchased a PNY 256 GB 3.0 flash drive board says to format it but comes back cannot format.I used other flash drives up to 64 gig no issues.is it because of 3.0 instead of 2.0 or is the capacity to large.i have about 95 gigs i wanted to put on it of mp3.i read that other people used up to 512 and worked.i formated it on my pc first when would not work and put a few sample files on it,but would not load on keyboard,then tried to format on keyboard and would not format.what brand should i use and also have a issue when using flash drive with mp3 songs on it selecting voices on right 1,2,3 lag time with buttons turning on voices and also the lyrics on screen seem to be a little out of time with the music.i have the latest version firmware 1.3
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:41:20 AM by franksboard »

Offline EileenL

Re: Flash memory types (limits)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »
I have around a hundred and fifty MP3 files on a 16Gb USB stick plus lots of other stuff and still have lots of space left. I don't think you would ever use 256Gb up. I have a 64Gb stick in my Genos which stores WAV files MP3 files Hundreds of styles  and Midi recordings plus lots of other things and I have not used half yet.

Murat

Re: Flash memory types (limits) and lag time using mp3
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
Hello, I asked the same question a while ago; unfortunately it is not really clear what the max USB stick size you can use however I had a couple of confirmations in the below conversation where users confirmed they use 256GB USB sticks without any issues:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48125.0.html

I am using a 2GB USB stick since I boguht my beautiful Genos at the end of December and never had space issues yet - I guess all depends on what people does with the Genos; MP3s, WAV files etc can take up lots of space.

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
Hello, I asked the same question a while ago; unfortunately it is not really clear what the max USB stick size you can use however I had a couple of confirmations in the below conversation where users confirmed they use 256GB USB sticks without any issues:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48125.0.html

I am using a 2GB USB stick since I boguht my beautiful Genos at the end of December and never had space issues yet - I guess all depends on what people does with the Genos; MP3s, WAV files etc can take up lots of space.

I wouldn't worry about a size limit. I've used a 500GB and even a 1TB memory stick.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »
I don't think there is any limit, but the lag time may have something to do with the quality of the flash drive. Not all have the same write speed. Kingston is behaving well on keyboards!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »
Not all brands of USB sticks work well. There's a list on the Yamaha web site of supported brands. I only buy brands that are listed as OK for the Genos.

Regards, Richard

Murat

Re: Flash memory types (limits) and lag time using mp3 no luck with PNY256GB
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:53:26 PM »
Size doesn't really matter, what really matters is what you do with the USB stick.  ::)