Author Topic: S775 Style Creator - Strange TOUCH & MegaVoice behaviour  (Read 3357 times)

Offline BogdanH

S775 Style Creator - Strange TOUCH & MegaVoice behaviour
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
In short: I wish to change Bass phrase (hope that's the right word for that) in some Style. By default, Style Creator will suggest some of the MegaVoice bass voices (as it seems). Now, by selecting some MegaVoice bass voice, it will only sound as it should if I use/set TOUCH button. That is, if TOUCH isn't used, I can only hear short "boop" by pressing on any key. That doesn't happen if I use some other legacy bass voice -there, TOUCH button setting makes no difference.
Ok, I use TOUCH then.. But now something weird happens. As long I press keys gently enough, I can hear bass voice normal as expected (and play/record) new BASS phrase. But if I punch some key a bit harder, then simply no sound (of selected bass voice) is heard -and that key isn't recorded either.
I think there's something wrong.. I mean, if I use the same voice outside VoiceCreator, I can smash keys at will, and will hear the voice as expected and accordingly depending on TOUCH button.
Maybe I need to pay attention to some other keyboard setting?
Any ideas? Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:42:44 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline pjd

Re: S775 Style Creator - Strange TOUCH & MegaVoice behaviour
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:18:04 PM »
Hi --

Mega Voices are designed to work primarily in a style part where the MIDI velocity (i.e., how hard a note is played) can be carefully programmed and controlled. It's very difficult to play a Mega Voice by hand.

If you want to see the details of how Mega Voice bass responds, please see the table on page 24 of the S975/S775 Data List PDF file.

If you're starting out with an existing style and Mega Voice bass part, a Yamaha developer carefully programmed the notes. So, you're not likely to be successful at adding new notes played by hand.

Hope this info helps out -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »
Thank you very much for helpful clarification.
Yes, as it seems, page 24 explains my observation. I don't know all the meanings there, but "dead" is pretty much obvious. It's strange though, this "characteristic" only apply in StyleCreator mode.
Ok, bass phrases only consist of few key notes usually, so I just need to play them carefully enough..or use some "normal" voice. I didn't make much comparison to normal bass voices, but my first impression is, MegaVoice bass(es) sound better.
Again, thank you!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
Remember you can program a style part in 'step edit' mode where you enter each consecutive note's timing and velocity in turn. This will let you control the mega voice perfectly.

Alternatively, record by playing as normal to get the timings, then go into the step editor and adjust the velocities.

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 02:58:03 PM »
It's strange though, this "characteristic" only apply in StyleCreator mode.

Hi --

If you select a Mega Voice as RIGHT1 or whatever and try to play it on the keyboard, you'll get the same behavior.

Derek's suggestion is a good one. STEP EDIT allows precise control over note velocity. You could even drop in some bass slides using the high notes above C6.

All the best -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
After three attempts, I'm quite happy with the result I got with my simple bass phrase. But yes, when doing that, it crossed my mind, one need to be Beethoven to create something "serious"  :)
It's good to know the practical case of when and why "step edit" is useful. Thank you both for additional input.

Greetings