Author Topic: vary relative volumes in a style part  (Read 3792 times)

edtek

vary relative volumes in a style part
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:56:41 AM »
Some styles (I'm looking at you 40sSwingBallad) have a rhythm2 where the nice brush part is over powered by the
 bass drum.  Can I adjust the balance between these?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:57:54 AM by edtek »

Offline DrakeM

Re: vary relative volumes in a style part
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 03:12:57 AM »
Yes. You can use your keyboard's Style Creator and easily go to the RHY2 part and reduce the volume of any part you like.

Are you up to learning how to do it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:15:41 AM by DrakeM »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »
You can also go the style creator and use the drum set up to change the kick drums from different kits. This will often do the trick. Always remember though that any editing you do to a style must then be saved as a user style.

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »
Jørgen. Excellent INFO from you, appreciate your free software.
best wishes from UK.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: Jørgen

Offline Bob88

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
 How do I get the English translation on Heidrun's site?  I cannot find that option when I logon.  Thanks, Bob

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
I don't think it has one but some of her demo's are done in English.

edtek

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
Thanks for all responses.  Using the style creator to reduce the volume of the kick turned out to be easy.  The hardest part was figuring out which note was the kick.  I hit each active note shown on the kb display until I found one that sounded like the kick.
Edit: Ah, I didn't think to look in the data list doc.  It shows all the drum kit keys for all the kits.  Would have made the job easier.
Edit2: This is the first time I've used the style creator in the 15 years or so since I first got into arrangers with the PSR3000.  It always looked very daunting but just a simple mod of an existing style isn't hard.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:24:38 PM by edtek »

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
Eltek I don't know how it shows on the Genos but at the edit tab of style creator we navigate down note by note and by doing that we can hear the notes so we know which to adjust
If you are not certain for a note go one step down and then one step up to the note you believe it needs adjusting. You should hear the same note both times and  the  keyboard will display which note of the drum kit it is e.g note  A3 so you know that every A3 note needs adjustment in rhythm 2.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »
This overly loud bass drum is often a nemesis for me too.

Do free apps as Sorenson offers, what? make these volume adjustments to a bass drum quicker?

I am a T4 owner.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

edtek

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »
I tried using Jurgens One note changer but found it to be harder than using Style creator.  You have to know the channel number (I think that is 10 for the drums) and the note number.  There are 2 numbers on the data list for the bass drum for the style I was working with (40sSwingBallad) , (B0 and C1 (midi note) or B1 C2 (keyboard note).  In Style Creator it's easy to find the right key (look on display keyboard (kb) note and hit the bass key that's active).  There might be an easier way in One Note, but I had to hook up a midi cable between my GENOS and PC and use a PC style player to identify the correct note by trial and error, much more fiddly.

If you find it useful here are the steps I use to modify a bass drum with Style Creator:
Enable the style you want to modify
Go to mixer and lower the volume on the instruments except the drum (makes it easier to hear the drum)
go to menu 2 and hit Style Creator
hit REC CHANNEL and then DRUM SETUP
hit style start/stop to hear the drum
hit the piano kb note that is active on the display kb when you hear the drum so that note is the one to be modified.
lower the LEVEL to the desired volume
hit EXIT then SAVE and save the style with a new name where you want it stored.  I save it in a folder called Modified Styles that I keep in the USB.

The nice thing using Style Creator is you don't have to know the channel number and it's easy to identify the note to be modified

Hope this helps.

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »
I sometimes find that just reducing the low EQ for RHY2 helps to quieten down the bass drum and put it more into the background. It's not always enough but worth a try before having to do each individual bass drum note in every variation.
With the required style selected go into the mixer and tab across to EQ, press the mixer button until you get to the screen for the individual parts for the style and reduce the balance of the low EQ for RHY2. It can then be put into style creator too and saved with those settings.
Pam