Author Topic: PSR S950 and Bose S1 Pro  (Read 7731 times)

Geria

PSR S950 and Bose S1 Pro
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »
I recently bought a Bose S1 Pro to replace my very heavy Fender Passport. I'm very happy with this purchase. The sound quality is much better and the 950 internal equalizer is doing its job much to my satisfaction, except for one instrument: Piano (any preset Piano Voice). All other instruments sound excellent with the style volume set at 75 and R1 at 100. Boosting the volume up to 127 on the Pianos improves the sound quality somewhat, but, they still sound tinny and "distant". BTW the Bose is connected with a mono cable to the L+R on the PSR and the Bose treble and bass are flat.

The only way I can utilize a good Piano sound is to rely on my favorite instrument registration bank, where the Piano is fixed through Voice Set.
So, I'm not totally without a good sound, but it would be nice to play with a Style that has a piano voice without relying on the registration bank.

Any help from knowledgeable forum is very much appreciated.
Thanks
Gerry

Offline RoyceM

Re: PSR S950 and Bose S1 Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »
Hi Gerry,

I don't have suggestions, but certainly share you disappointment in having to hear pianos (stereo sampled) through mono output (Bose Compact, in my case). I play a S975 and have not found any reasonable band-aides yet.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Geria

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
Hi Royce,
I figured as much, but had high hopes. I even tried to pan the piano in the equalizer to the mono channel, but that didn't work. Oh well, you can't have it all. Still like the Bose S1 Pro, no muddy sounds, just clarity and made for my small audiences.

Thanks for the reply.
Gerry

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
I have the same problem with the piano sound.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Geria

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
I am not an audiophile, so my new question may be totally of the charts:

Will it make a difference if two mono cables from the R and L keyboard are connected to a Mono Y cable and plugged into the Bose?

Thanks

Gerry

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 04:23:58 PM »
Several years ago, I posted  grand piano voice on the forum, which has been downloaded hundreds of time. Try it out and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Geria

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
Hi Gary,
I found it! :D  Downloaded your piano voices a long time ago on a different stick. Fortunately I labeled it "Gary's voices" so it was easy to find.

Thanks and take care!

Gerry

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »
Yes, Gary! That is fantastic. I thought it died with my S970, but found it on my PC :)

There will always be the best sound with TWO Bose units, but I have decided that one is sufficient for the small places I play.
There is already too much to lug around :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 01:06:18 AM »
As a side note to this discussion, for years I have listened to our amazing church pianist play an "electronic" grand-style piano. Not until I got the S975 and Bose Compact did I become aware of what mono does to piano sounds. Then I realized that the same limitations seem to be manifest in the church's piano output that is sent to the "front of house" sound-control system.

Perhaps my audiences are as indifferent to my system's limitations as I was to those at church?...I hope so.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Geria

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
Well taken Royce. After my post I embarked on learning more about stereo and mono output and found out that in most cases keyboards are sending mono signals when performing in a band or recording. Indeed audiences do not hear the difference. Several mixers have a mono output while receiving R and L signals. In messing around at home I also found that the Yamaha piano sound is greatly enhanced by leaving the speakers active on the PSR S 950 and having a mono signal go to the Bose speaker. On a Korg forum I found out that it makes no difference with their arranger keyboards. I don't know if their piano are sampled in stereo. Anyway, we keep on learning.

Gerry

Bill Frizzell

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 07:25:37 PM »
I found by dropping down one octave its sounds a lot better. For some reason the highs do have a little tinny sound even through the on board speakers. One more note, I run my MOXF thru and into my PSR-S950 but the only problem with doing that the EQ in the 950 needed to be adjusted or the MO sounded to high pitched.