Author Topic: Free Steinway Piano (Small size)  (Read 9046 times)

Offline Styles2psr

Free Steinway Piano (Small size)
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
Hi friends,

Since everyone share Piano sounds lately ;)... I thought maybe i can share my Steinway Piano.
Note: This is a simple 1 layer Steinway Piano, noting fancy about it.
For the big Piano experts who likes Piano with 8 layers and minimum 1-2Gb in size this is not the right Piano sound for you.

For those who are tired of the onbord Grand Piano sound, this is a great piano sound to start with.
There is 2 positive things with this Steinway, it is very small in size (25,5 mb), and according to me very nice,
and warm sounding piano sound.(High quality samples).

Each sample is about 5.3-6 sec long and not looped.

Although it's 1 layer (1 Element) you can hear that it is different velocity depending on how hard or soft you hit the keys.
This is very easy to achieve by changing the Cutoff sense (Touch Sense) in the Filter section. (See attached picture)

Here is the download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/piswkq2k7exilru/Simple%20Steinway.rar?dl=0

Regards, Jan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline marcodg

Re: Free Steinway Piano (Small size)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:19 AM »
I like this Piano. I am used it since 3 years and it s really warm and sound nicely with just one layer.
Yamaha Genos, Korg pa4x,  Korg EC5, Yamaha FC7, Yamaha FC4A,, Yamaha L-515 B, Sennheiser E845, Behringer Eurolive B208, JBL EON ONE, Yamaha GNS-01

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Jan,

Thanks a lot for sharing your effort !

Since you seems to have a lot of experience with YEM, may I ask you a question ?  :-[
Is there a possibility to trigger a sample on 'Key Off' event ? (for example, when we release a key for a piano sample, I would like to be able to play a 'Note Off' sample…).

So far, my experiments with YEM were really frustrating  :P

Thanks again !
Benoit

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »
Jan,

Thanks a lot for sharing your effort !

Since you seems to have a lot of experience with YEM, may I ask you a question ?  :-[
Is there a possibility to trigger a sample on 'Key Off' event ? (for example, when we release a key for a piano sample, I would like to be able to play a 'Note Off' sample…).

So far, my experiments with YEM were really frustrating  :P

Thanks again !
Benoit

To my knowledge, there isn't

The following users thanked this post: Jacob

Offline Styles2psr

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »

If you want the piano a little bit brighter just increase the brightness in the Mixing console as the picuture and save it as user voice.

The sound reminds me a lot as a background music in a beautiful drama movie, like Titanic and The Legends of Fall ;D
This is much better than the default Live! Grand Piano in my Psr-s770.

BenoitM: I think it's possible to add that function with SampleRobot, but you need to save it in Sf2-format.

Regards, Jan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Jacob, wersianer

CMS Sounddesign

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
To my knowledge, there isn't

Hello.

Unfortunately, the YEM does not offer the possibility of key-release or note-off trigger samples. We've done that several times with Yamaha, but it seems to fall on deaf ears in Japan.

Regards/Peter

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
Hello.

Unfortunately, the YEM does not offer the possibility of key-release or note-off trigger samples. We've done that several times with Yamaha, but it seems to fall on deaf ears in Japan.

Regards/Peter

Its indeed strange Peter, knowing that The engine supports it..
And on the modx, there is quite a few more option onboard for sound edditing compared to yem, like articulations and legato..

CMS Sounddesign

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »
Hi !

This issue is familiar to Yamaha, but marketing interests seem to be in the way. Apparently you want to deliberately maintain a certain distance to the synthesizers in order to build in their own house no competitor. Too bad, because the Soundengine has loosely the potential for more and the current equipment is far from the term "workstation".

Regards/Peter

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 08:32:43 PM »
Hi !

This issue is familiar to Yamaha, but marketing interests seem to be in the way. Apparently you want to deliberately maintain a certain distance to the synthesizers in order to build in their own house no competitor. Too bad, because the Soundengine has loosely the potential for more and the current equipment is far from the term "workstation".

Regards/Peter

We agree...

I said it many times..
Genos is the best arranger ever..
Butbits still a poor mans workstation..

Offline elad770

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »
Hi friends,

Since everyone share Piano sounds lately ;)... I thought maybe i can share my Steinway Piano.
Note: This is a simple 1 layer Steinway Piano, noting fancy about it.
For the big Piano experts who likes Piano with 8 layers and minimum 1-2Gb in size this is not the right Piano sound for you.

For those who are tired of the onbord Grand Piano sound, this is a great piano sound to start with.
There is 2 positive things with this Steinway, it is very small in size (25,5 mb), and according to me very nice,
and warm sounding piano sound.(High quality samples).

Each sample is about 5.3-6 sec long and not looped.

Although it's 1 layer (1 Element) you can hear that it is different velocity depending on how hard or soft you hit the keys.
This is very easy to achieve by changing the Cutoff sense (Touch Sense) in the Filter section. (See attached picture)

Here is the download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/piswkq2k7exilru/Simple%20Steinway.rar?dl=0

Regards, Jan.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Can you or someone else explain to me (The ignorant) What does it mean 1 vs multiple layers? We've talked a lot recently about sampling and file sizes and i assume this is related

Is this something related to piano only?

Thanks

Online pjd

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:40:42 PM »
What does it mean 1 vs multiple layers?

Hi --

I prefer the term "velocity ranges" or "strike" levels because the word "layer" often has other meanings. It all relates to "velocity switching," another topic that is heavily discussed on the Web.

The basic idea is that you want the sound for a note to be different depending upon how hard its key is struck. MIDI allows 128 distinct velocities where "velocity" is how hard the key is struck.

128 is a lot of distinct velocities, so the 128 velocities are separated into ranges. A triple strike piano, for example, might have ranges like:

Soft (p)    Velocity 0 to 63
    Medium (mf)   Velocity 64 to 99
    Loud (f)    Velocity 100 to 127

A different waveform (sample) is assigned to each velocity range (strike level).

As you already thought, a nine strike piano (nine velocity ranges per note) needs many more samples than a three strike or one strike piano.

Hope this helps and all the best to ya -- pj

Offline elad770

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 05:14:06 AM »
Wow! Thank you for this explanation

Now i understand why the file size can be so big.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »
https://youtu.be/2mNaqGldBBg

Here's a video about Sampling.

BBC News doesn't know the difference between Sampling and Synthesizer.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 02:42:20 AM »
Hello.

Regards/Peter
A feather.
It would be really cool if there was that possibility.
Not just release samples, but also random sounds that could be used for instruments like drums.
And workstation keyboards have this technology (like Wave cycling) but only Yamaha can use it.
Regards.
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 02:50:50 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing.

Can you or someone else explain to me (The ignorant) What does it mean 1 vs multiple layers? We've talked a lot recently about sampling and file sizes and i assume this is related

Thanks
Link doesn't work anymore. Would you be able to send it in pm?
Thanks!
Regards,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."