Author Topic: 88-key weighted control of Genos advice  (Read 5522 times)

dhts

88-key weighted control of Genos advice
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »
Hi, new to this forum and fairly new to the Genos.

Whilst I absolutely love the Genos I miss a piano style action so I'm considering getting either a midi controller (the Kawai VPC1) or even a traditional form console digital piano to link to it. I'd either sit the Genos on top of the controller or if I go the piano route to the left at right angles.

I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who've gone this route which they prefer (layout wise), and whether there's anything I should be aware of which would influence my decision on the second keyboard.

All the best,
Dave

Murat

Re: 88-key weighted control of Genos advice
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »
Hi Dave,
I agree that the keys of the Genos is very light, this makes it difficult to play the piano, meaning it is nice to have slightly longer keys with a better piano action. Although I like the keys of the Genos because you can play very fluently / quickly (for example when playing an organ sound). I, too, thought about getting a second controller keyboard just for the keys action. One issue I would have is that it would be difficult (for me) to have two keyboards; which do I put on top which on the bottom; I find it really comfortable to play just one keyboard at a good level where my hands and arms can reach easily.
Cheers,
Murat

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »
Hi, new to this forum and fairly new to the Genos.

Whilst I absolutely love the Genos I miss a piano style action so I'm considering getting either a midi controller (the Kawai VPC1) or even a traditional form console digital piano to link to it. I'd either sit the Genos on top of the controller or if I go the piano route to the left at right angles.

I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who've gone this route which they prefer (layout wise), and whether there's anything I should be aware of which would influence my decision on the second keyboard.

All the best,
Dave

I am with you here Dave..
Personally i decided for the modx 8, because of all the extra functionallity
And while not the most accurate GP action, the GHS action is very nice and feels more then decent, i like it.

Big problem is that the vpc1 does not have a din midi out, only usb out.. so you would allways have to connect to a pc first and from there to the Genos..

If you want just keybed and no sounds the new mpk road 88 from Akai looks prommising..
Also the studiologic sl 88 grand ( not the studio) has a high end action..

And if you dont want to invest in V-console, for playing both keybeds at the same time, choosing a stage piano with midi master functionallity in the lower part could proof fruitfull

Espescially a Yamaha Cp4, due to having all comtrolls on the fromt side would fit vry well for this..
You could also consider a Korg grandstage..

dhts

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
Hi Bachus, thanks for the reply though you gave me a slight panic attack with the midi out comment on the VPC1, as the manual does show it with one (see attached if I've loaded the image properly). Is there something I'm missing ?

I did take a look at the Akai and the only thing which puts me off is the inbuilt case and I'm ideally looking for something room and wife friendly. My starting point was going to be a Yamaha P515 but when I started trying them I prefer the action of the Kawai's which let me either to their console pianos CAxx or the VPC1.

You're use case may be very different to mine but how do find yourself playing the Modx and interacting with the buttons on the Genos and have you stacked them ?

All the best,

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
........One issue I would have is that it would be difficult (for me) to have two keyboards; which do I put on top which on the bottom; I find it really comfortable to play just one keyboard at a good level where my hands and arms can reach easily.
Cheers,
Murat
Murat - I used the two keyboard set up for years, and found that setting the arranger on top, and having it at a very acute angle so it was almost facing you worked well. Because the controller can completely duplicate the arranger keys, I found I seldom actually played the arranger keys. I played the keys on the controller 90%.  So the arranger mainly acts like a sound/accompaniment module and what is needed is good visibility and access to the controls, hence the steep angle. The steep angle also has the effect of effectively making the arranger keyboard lower and just above the controller keys, so it’s really not uncomfortable to play either.
Mike

Bachus

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
Hi Bachus, thanks for the reply though you gave me a slight panic attack with the midi out comment on the VPC1, as the manual does show it with one (see attached if I've loaded the image properly). Is there something I'm missing ?

I did take a look at the Akai and the only thing which puts me off is the inbuilt case and I'm ideally looking for something room and wife friendly. My starting point was going to be a Yamaha P515 but when I started trying them I prefer the action of the Kawai's which let me either to their console pianos CAxx or the VPC1.

You're use case may be very different to mine but how do find yourself playing the Modx and interacting with the buttons on the Genos and have you stacked them ?

All the best,

Dave

I must have been dazed, when i ruled out the VPC-1 as a choice for not having a standard midi..
It was based on a discussion on piano world forum..

Seems it does have 5 pin midi..
Keep in mind that setting it up requires you to connect to a pc..

And yes, kawai keybeds, are “the” thing that comes closest to a real grand piano when talking about (semi) mobile keybeds....

To make full use of both keybeds, i would still advice a Windows tablet running V-console.. and one of the CMS grand piano expansions

dhts

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 05:47:06 PM »
To make full use of both keybeds, i would still advice a Windows tablet running V-console.. and one of the CMS grand piano expansions

Thanks Bachus, I'll checkout V-console. I still can't get my head around what access to the Genos I'd need to select breaks, presets etc during playing and whether I'd need the Genos on top of the master keyboard for this to be possible.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 06:57:52 PM »
With a normal set up, you would control everything on the Genos as if it you were playing only it, but you would play the notes on the controller. You can have multiple midi set ups on on registrations.
You can use full keyboard like a piano and still drive accompaniment through the Genos, or have split keyboard set ups. All playable from the controller. You can also have the piano sound from the controller pass through to the speakers, while driving accompaniment from the Genos.
Many alternatives are possible, and I used to have a couple set up on registrations so I could change quickly.
Mike 

dhts

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »
With a normal set up, you would control everything on the Genos as if it you were playing only it, but you would play the notes on the controller. You can have multiple midi set ups on on registrations.
You can use full keyboard like a piano and still drive accompaniment through the Genos, or have split keyboard set ups. All playable from the controller. You can also have the piano sound from the controller pass through to the speakers, while driving accompaniment from the Genos.
Many alternatives are possible, and I used to have a couple set up on registrations so I could change quickly.
Mike

Thank Mike.

So would you stack the keyboards so that the relevant controls on the Genos were 'at hand' whilst playing the piano. I'm wondering if another option is to have the Genos to the side but a small Midi controller adjectent/on the piano for a few key buttons or is that what V-Console would give me ?

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 10:06:02 PM »
Thank Mike.

So would you stack the keyboards so that the relevant controls on the Genos were 'at hand' whilst playing the piano. I'm wondering if another option is to have the Genos to the side but a small Midi controller adjectent/on the piano for a few key buttons or is that what V-Console would give me ?

V-console gives you 8 extra genos voices
You can assign them to both keybeds (your 88 or your Genos)
It supposes you put both keys on top of eachother..