Author Topic: Question on Midi and Expansion Pack Voices  (Read 5011 times)

rogerc

Question on Midi and Expansion Pack Voices
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »
As you can tell with my flurry of post I am excited about getting my new 975 and learning the new and different things it can do over my OLD 900.

I hope this question makes sense ???.
I currently have a 900 and will be getting a 975 soon.
One of my favorite things to do is take a midi file and change the voices to get the exact sound I want.
On the 900 I am only able to use the Preset voices when I change voices and I am not able to use voices that I have on my USB stick that I really like.
My question is on the 975 are you able to use the expansion pack voices or voices saved on the usb stick just like you are the preset voices? This would give a ton more voices to play with.
Thanks in advance.
RC
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:53:33 PM by rogerc »

Offline Joe H

Re: Question on Midi and Expansion Pack Voices
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:44:56 PM »
You can assign expansion pack Voices to R1, R2, Left, style Parts and Multi Pads.  But you can't store Voices on the USB drive... only modified Voice Set files which are just Standard MIDI Files (SMF).  The actual Voice files are stored in special expansion memory on the keyboard.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:42:33 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

rogerc

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
So if understand it right I will be able to use the voices just not store them on the USB drive BUT they will be stored in the keyboards memory.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
RC

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:02 PM »
You will need to download the Yamaha Expansion Manager to your computer to load Expansion packs into your keyboard. The folders for accessing them will then be saved to your user section so always remember not to fill this up with style files and recordings. These are always best saved to USB.

DCKeyboard

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »
Good thing I didn't start another topic about the USB so this is the perfect place for me to ask this question. I'm excited and hoping to get me the PSR S975 as well very soon. My question about the USB Drive for the Keyboard. If I purchase or Download styles and I save it into the USB Drive, is it possible that I can select the Style from the USB drive from the Keyboard and play it from the drive or do I have to make a style transfer from the USB to the Internal Keyboard? I'm thinking about Streaming Cover Songs on Twitch in May. The reason why I asked is that when I switch from 1 style to the next for the song I want to be sure it's handy to select Styles quickly to start. Some systems may be fast or slow for the transfer and I hate delays LOL.

Thanks, Guys.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 11:12:40 PM »
Good thing I didn't start another topic about the USB so this is the perfect place for me to ask this question. I'm excited and hoping to get me the PSR S975 as well very soon. My question about the USB Drive for the Keyboard. If I purchase or Download styles and I save it into the USB Drive, is it possible that I can select the Style from the USB drive from the Keyboard and play it from the drive or do I have to make a style transfer from the USB to the Internal Keyboard? I'm thinking about Streaming Cover Songs on Twitch in May. The reason why I asked is that when I switch from 1 style to the next for the song I want to be sure it's handy to select Styles quickly to start. Some systems may be fast or slow for the transfer and I hate delays LOL.

You can load a style (or any file, for that matter), directly from the USB drive.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

DCKeyboard

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 01:03:17 AM »
Fantastic thank you so much Fred!! One more thing. I want to buy the USB that is good for the S975. They say in the manual "The instrument does not necessarily support all commercially available USB devices. Yamaha cannot guarantee operation of USB devices that you purchase" Which manufacture USB do yall recommend? (Sandisk, PNY, Kingston, etc)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 01:53:37 AM »
I use a Kingston 8GB USB 3.0.  Verbatim also works.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

DCKeyboard

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 03:28:42 AM »
I use a Kingston 8GB USB 3.0.  Verbatim also works.

Joe H

It'll work with the 16gb as well?

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
Yes 16GB will be fine.

In fact, most USB sticks work fine if you are just storing styles and MIDI files. The brand only really matters when you are recording an audio file to USB, because not all of them can cope with the sustained data transfer rate.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »
I use Verbatim Store an go 32 Gb. These work very well and do not stick out far when plugged in. Also fast for recording Audio.

DCKeyboard

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 11:56:29 PM »
I have lots of great Questions about the S975. haha I think that'll be enough questions until I head to Guitar Center to ask questions. But in case they don't I will here. You all been very helpful. Thank you :)