Author Topic: Headphones jack  (Read 15530 times)

Offline elad770

Headphones jack
« on: February 04, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
For the first time I've tried to insert a standard headphone jack into the genos but it doesnt go all the in. I can only hear one side.

Any ideas? I tried everything

Offline Duurduur

Re: Headphones jack
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
I think you must not be afraid. just push a little harder. Especially for the first time.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

whataguy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Does anyone want to touch this subject???? Slap my mouth!

Murat

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »
Lube?  :-[

whataguy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 04:27:24 PM »
Oh Murat, I was thinking that but didn't have the ***** to post it. Good for you, my kind of guy . . . D.

Murat

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
Hey! I meant some mechanical lube which could be suitable for the application intended.  ;D

Offline elad770

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
I tried to push in in hard, Trust me: Hard enough

It's not going in.

Offline elad770

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »
And what's the problem with the subject? I'm sharing a problem I'm experiencing? ! ?

Murat

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
Tell the Genos to relax... then try again... just take your time...

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »
Besides joking... On my electronics work I have found some headphones sockets which only accept some plugs. I would try with other plug just to be sure it is not that case. Are you using an adapter?

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline elad770

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 05:06:09 PM »
That's exactly what i'm doing. I'm trying to eliminate all the other factors:

Yes, I'm using an adapter.  purchased cheap one from Amazon

- Headphones work fine with other devices

- Purchased another adapter to eliminate the adapter

Does anyone recommend an adapter that for sure worked for them? From Amazon>?

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
And what's the problem with the subject? I'm sharing a problem I'm experiencing? ! ?
Its what happens when you enter the alternative universe of the double entendre :D

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »
Elad770, to rule out a faulty headphone plug from Amazon, try using a regular 1/4 inch plug from a patch chord end while the Genos is playing through your speakers. The sound should cut out after you insert the patch chord. If the sound cuts out, the Amazon plug is no good. If the sound stays on, then the Genos jack is faulty.

Note If you insert a mono 1/4 inch plug, only one side will cut out of the speakers. Perhaps someone can comment on this. A stereo plug would definitely cut out all sound from your speakers.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
Depends on if you have speakers set to On or off when you insert jack plug. Go to Utility and check if head phones are set to on or off.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:26:16 PM »
Thanks, Eileen. I knew there was something I was missing. At the time of my previous comment, I had not indulged in my first coffee of the day :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
I would caution against using 'cheap' headphone adapters or for that matter any cable with 'cheap' connectors. The risk is if you do get the plug all the way in and it is really tight, when you go to remove it, a cheaply manufactured adapter could possibly have the end tip come off inside the jack. From experience with this on a different type of equipment, removal of the lost plug tip is not fun. A tip that has come off would likely prevent another adapter from being inserted completely. Any remote possibility there might be a plug tip in the jack if the Genos was previously owned or had been a store display model?

Lee's suggestion to try a patch cable plug is a good idea.

I have misplaced adapters for some of my headphones and I try to buy what I believe are 'quality' replacement. The Sennheiser brand is a good name and I've had good luck with those.......
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adapter-Authentic-Genuine-Universal/dp/B00L2SLLIO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549372303&sr=8-6&keywords=headphone+adapter+sennheiser

Offline elad770

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
Thank you so much.  I just placed the order for the model you gave me.

What if the sound does cutoff but only one side of the headphone is heard. In this case : Faulty plug or Jack?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
Could be faulty headphones :(
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline browzer

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
Is it definitely a stereo adapter and not mono?

Ronnie
Genos

Offline elad770

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
Ok, I tried it with other plugs, still only one side of the headphone  is heard.
Waiting for the schnitzer to arrive tomorrow before I conclude that my genos needs to see the service center
Guys, could you be kind and share with me the procedure as far as dropping it off at service center?
Yamaha will obviously cover the repair cost right?
What do I need to be careful about?

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
elad, in the beginning of this thread you had said the adapter is not going all the way in. Is this still the case? If it is only going part way in that is the reason you may only hear sound in one side.
Below is an image of my adapter in my PSR-S900. Image 'A' is part way in and there is sound in only one side. Image 'B' is all the way in and sound is in both sides. Is image 'A' most like yours when plugged in and that is far as it will go?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline elad770

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 11:25:07 PM »
Yes Mark! This is an exact image of what I'm experiencing
It's very nice of you to upload the picture. I feel I should have done that.
I tried to push in and force it in but it's not going in
I tried 2 different plugs and tomorrow I will try the third.
What do think is the problem. The keyboard is new and theres nothing inside that blocks

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:05 PM »
Yes Mark! This is an exact image of what I'm experiencing
It's very nice of you to upload the picture. I feel I should have done that.
I tried to push in and force it in but it's not going in
I tried 2 different plugs and tomorrow I will try the third.
What do think is the problem. The keyboard is new and theres nothing inside that blocks

Perhaps the internal mechanism has been bent and now it does not allow full insertion. Could you look inside by the hole?. Use a plastic piece to measure depth without finding a mechanical stop

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 12:14:48 AM »
Hi
Simple solution is to go back to the shop where you purchased the Genos and try your adapter in a Genos there or any keyboard as they are all universal. Try in your HI_FI.
If It fits, it mean there is something wrong with the female socket on your Genos. If not it must be an oversized plug which i doubt.
Never buy cheap adapters or leads when you have an expensive keyboard

Note -- You should not force it in as they should go in with a simple push same as pluging in to an ipod etc

ATB
John :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:29:14 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline elad770

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 12:35:25 AM »
Purchased online from an authorized Yamaha dealer
Do you know if the warranty should cover this?
Its 2 months old

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 12:45:42 AM »
John has hit the nail on the head. "You should not force it in as they should go in with a simple push same as pluging in to an ipod etc."

To further clarify his statement, "You should not have to force it in as they should go in with a simple push same as pluging in to an ipod etc. It should connect with relatively little force."

I think you have a warranty claim there.

Offline elad770

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 01:05:17 AM »
I didnt force it in OF COURSE NOT
What I meant is that I gradually applied an additional
Force in order to hear the final click. Used mu thumb only and didnt force ANYTHING in. I'm not messing with a 6000$ keyboard.

Offline mikf

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »
I don't have a Genos, but I assume like all the other top level boards, there are several other 1/4 inch jack sockets. With the board switched of (because you are not interested in the function) try inserting the jack plug into one of those. If to goes in easily, the headphone socket and not the plug is not the problem.
Mike

Offline elad770

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
Yes Mike, it goes smoothly inside ALL other 1/4" Sockets
I contacted Yamaha and I hope they will solve this issue promptly and efficiently

whataguy

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 06:08:55 PM »
Just wonderin' - shouldn't the regular speakers go silent when the earphone jack is plugged in as with other earphone equipped devices? Mine don't. I found this out when (with earphones on) I was jamming to the likes that would entertain millions only to turn around to find wifey (who hates my playing) standing there, hand on her hip, tapping her toe and rolling her eyes with the 'do you want to wake the dead look' because I can't play very good so I play really LOUD.  Don in MI
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:10:39 PM by whataguy »

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
elad,
If you took something like a plastic straw or a Q-Tip like I did, insert it into the jack and mark how deep it goes in. Then compare it to the length of the plug as I show in the attached image. It may give you an idea if something is in there that shouldn't be.

Offline elad770

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »
Oh........MY.......GO-D !!!!!

Mark, on a hunch i took my led flashlight and I think there's something there!!!!! Standby.......... Will update shortly

Offline elad770

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »
Since the Keyboard is only 2 months old and was under my care All this time, theres was no reason to believe something is in there.

By inserting the adapter I pushed whatever it is all the in.
Its definitely looks like something foreign.  Its yellowish

Guys, cross your fingers.... IM GOING IN !

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
elad,

Look at all the adapters you have to be sure none are missing the tip piece.

There will be metal contacts inside the jack which connect with the plug when inserted and in my S900 one is visible as a rectangle piece and could look yellowish depending the light that was shined on it.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
Could Elad try using a vacuum cleaner with a crevice cleaner on it? Perhaps the little piece would come out. Elad, if you try this, make sure your canister is pristine clean so you can see the foreign body, if it comes out.

Whataguy
, there are two types of jacks: open circuit and closed circuit. The closed circuit ones cut out the sound to the speakers after the headphone plug is inserted. The open circuit ones leave the sound running to the speakers after the headphone plug is inserted. With the Genos, Yamaha uses software to control the "open" or "closed" character of the jack.

Offline elad770

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!  :) ;D :D ;D :D

Offline elad770

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »
Could Elad try using a vacuum cleaner with a crevice cleaner on it? Perhaps the little piece would come out. Elad, if you try this, make sure your canister is pristine clean so you can see the foreign body, if it comes out.

Whataguy
, there are two types of jacks: open circuit and closed circuit. The closed circuit ones cut out the sound to the speakers after the headphone plug is inserted. The open circuit ones leave the sound running to the speakers after the headphone plug is inserted. With the Genos, Yamaha uses software to control the "open" or "closed" character of the jack.

Vacuum won't work. It's stuck behind a metal piece. The piece that makes contact with the adapter

Offline elad770

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
I must say: Not that i don't appreciate simplicity in design but this looks like a toy i would by from a toy store. 5000$ ????

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
So, when open it, how about the warranty issues?
Yes, 'Plastic Fantastic' boxes is worth a fortune. ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline elad770

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 10:53:23 PM »
What about the warranty?

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Toril S

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
This is not the Genos you opened, I hope!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline elad770

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:14 AM »
Yep......... ;) It went pretty smooth! Only 1million screws but it was fairly simple!

And........LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

Offline elad770

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2019, 12:15:18 AM »
There's an ongoing investigation and i already arrested a suspect....

Offline elad770

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 12:30:58 AM »
What do you think? Guilty or Innocent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swVpBTEKiwg

- She has a criminal history, doing this kind of things
- She responded as if she recognizes the weapon used

Do i have enough evidence here?   ;) :D

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:04 AM »
No!!!...... that sweet little innocent face could never have done that!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Kids will be kids!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Glad you found something and I hope putting it all back together goes well :)

Offline elad770

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 01:01:51 AM »
Just placed the last screw.

Thank you, everyone, for your support in this matter.

I tested the port before closing everything up, went smooth and works perfectly. Can't believe i spent 30$ on multiple adapters !!  ;D :D ;D ;)

But lesson learned. The Genos is for your family to enjoy but it's NOT for your family to USE !  ;D

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 01:48:31 AM »
Although 'the accused' may have inadvertently caused the object presented as 'exhibit 1'  to be deposited in the entrance of the socket, 'the Defence' maintains that you were an accomplice in any crime committed, since it was likely to be your actions that actually pushed it sufficiently far into the socket which resulted in the need to dismantle the unit.

Further, you appeared to be questioning an underage person without the presence of a 'responsible adult', which would render any confession thus obtained, inadmissible in court.

If I were you I would quit while you're ahead!   ;)

Perhaps you should leave one of your collection of adapters in the socket at all times.  She is less likely to manage to shove anything into the 3.5mm hole!

Regards

Ian

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 02:00:24 AM »
I must say: Not that i don't appreciate simplicity in design but this looks like a toy i would by from a toy store. 5000$ ????

Translation: 21st century, high-tech piece of gear, looks like a 1980s electronic toy because everything electronic these days has been super-condensed. The parts' cost that make up the Genos probably amount to peanuts in comparison to the cost to develop the technology.

Congrats on finding the problem, Elad!! We all learned from your experience ;).

Bachus

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 05:19:43 AM »
What do you think? Guilty or Innocent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swVpBTEKiwg

- She has a criminal history, doing this kind of things
- She responded as if she recognizes the weapon used

Do i have enough evidence here?   ;) :D

You handled this the wrong way..

I would have first started with the thumbscrews and the electricity, before asking questions..
One never knows, just don't take any risks when interrogating your kids.

How about the punishment?
Can we have a video of that to?

;D

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
What about the warranty?

Just wondered if it's not some 'sealed' screws that will show it has been opened, and it may be affecting (if any) warranty cases later? They are usually very strict with such things as far as I've heard.
Anyway, great to see you got it sorted out. :)

The lovely young lady should get a nice prize for 'teaching' you (and us) how Genos looks inside.  ;) :D ;D 8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ