Author Topic: Registration Gremlin is back!!! :-(  (Read 3636 times)

Offline jimlaing

Registration Gremlin is back!!! :-(
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:44:09 AM »
Hi ... I thought my Registrations were doing OK lately (after going to 1.30).  However, tonight while playing some songs at home, I had not 1 or 2, but *3* different instances of Registrations with "weird" stuff in the left hand part, always a jazz guitar and its effects being WAY off.  I *know* I didn't create/save them with these weird effects settings.  I'm attaching 3 files, people are welcome to see if they see (hear) the same issues.

File 061 RH Mem 2, registration #6, song "Alley Cat".
    The LH guitar sounds odd/quiet, not the way I saved it.  I had
    saved it with all detail settings (as chosen from Voice list).

File 020 Band Extras 1, registration #1, song "As Time Goes By"
    The LH guitar has HEAVY distortion, I know I didn't save it that way!

File 065 RH Mem 6, registration #7, song "All I Have To Do is Dream",
    The LH guitar has a "vibrato" effect on; I did not save/create this Registration with that on.

I'll be curious what others find.  I'm going to send this to Yamaha also.
In most cases, I used the 'stock' Jazz Guitar (or Artist Jazz etc.), selected from
the voice list, and did not alter any settings other than Volume.  When I find a really
bad Reg. like this, I re-select the LH sound, and it "un-does" the problem, then I save again.

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: Jacob

Offline Toril S

Re: Registration Gremlin is back!!! :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 01:04:01 AM »
It is a Gremlin that is very fond of jazz guitar! To be serious, I don't know what is wrong, and understand that it is frustrating!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »
It is a Gremlin that is very fond of jazz guitar! To be serious, I don't know what is wrong, and understand that it is frustrating!

Its a bug, and yamaha needs to repair it..
Hope they will in the next patch..
Seen it once or twice myself..
Its related to the fonts and how they work inside the Genos
Was explained in the orriginal topic.

I don't see any reason however opening a new topic for this, is the old one no good anymore?

Offline soryt

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
I have still regular problems (wrong style in reg) with the registrations , sometimes a restart of the Genos helps .
Pesonaly i have the idea that Yamaha doesnt give enough support to the arranger players like they do to the synth customers .

Soryt  :(
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
Hi Jim

Have a look at the two report on the 3 Registrations below

One is a short ver the other is the full version which has several pages

Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:19:59 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline murrayb

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
Hi Jim:

I had detailed look at your 020 registration, and did some testing on my Genos.  You're correct that the distortion was awful.  I switched to a different voice, then switched back again and although the exact same distortion was applied the sound appeared correct.

Using my analysis program that has supported YRM for the last few years, I found that there are two settings in the DSP section of the left voice that were different between your reg button, and the same voice loaded from the Genos.  Overdrive changed from 25% to 10% and Speaker Type changed from Stack to Twin, and where the device setting was blank, changed to Vintage Tube.

Why the change, Overdrive at 25% and Speaker Type Stack are Tyros 5 settings, while are others the new settings from the Genos.

When one considers that there are 1,000's of settings within a registration button, it's very easy for one or two of them to cause unexpected results.

My suggestion is when you encounter this sort of thing, don't blame the keyboard, select a different voice, then re-select the voice so that the values the keyboard is expecting to be processed become part of your registration.

Cheers,

Murray
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:06:13 PM by murrayb »
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
Hi - thanks for the note - yes, whenever I encounter this, I do as you mentioned: select a different voice, then back to the voice I want - and all is good.

The odd thing is when I have checked (played a song using) the Registration and all is fine, then another time, perhaps days/weeks later, I happen to load the registration, and I hear the very unexpected settings for the effects.  I don't blame the keyboard as much as the software (firmware?) in the keyboard . . . 

Thanks again,
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff