Author Topic: I rig midi 2 and church organ app  (Read 3626 times)

Offline MIKEP

I rig midi 2 and church organ app
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
Hello
I have an app on my iPad. Connected the iPad to the midi interface. Connected to midi out on genos. Can someone please advise what other midi settings I need to make on genos to get the app to sound.
Mike

Offline franksboard

Re: I rig midi 2 and church organ app
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
Hi does the app work with midi and the midi interface is usb,best way is usb on keyboard to usb on ipad

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
Yes. Everything is midi. I am looking at the midi transmit channels I think.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
Hi Mike --

You're heading in the right direction.

The MIDI channels must match up at either end. Unfortunately, we don't know which app you're using or how you intend to use the app and Genos together over MIDI. If we had more specifics, we could offer more help.

I suggest studying the current Genos transmit/receive settings and the current app transmit/receive settings. Also, please check out the diagram on page 136 of the Genos Reference Manual (Chapter 12, MIDI Settings). The diagram helps to explain the whole Genos MIDI A and MIDI B port relationship.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
... I have an app on my iPad. Connected the iPad to the midi interface. Connected to midi out on genos. Can someone please advise what other midi settings I need to make on genos to get the app to sound.

Hi Mike,

first, please connect the MIDI OUT A of the Genos to the MIDI IN of your MIDI interface. If you use the MIDI Template "All Parts" on Genos, the Parts Right1, 2 and 3 will be sended on MIDI Channels 1, 2 and 3, BUT only if the Part is switched ON. Therefore, set the MIDI input channel of your iOS app to channel 1 and switch on the Right1 Part on Genos.

You could also use the MIDI Template "KBD & STYLE" on Genos. The Right Parts are handled as a common "UPPER" Part then, which sends also on channel 1. BUT in this case (with "KBD & STYLE Template), it will also work if the Right Parts are switched OFF.

P.S.
You do not nessessarily have to use a MIDI interface on your iPad. You can also use an Apple "Camera Adapter" instead in conjunction with a standard USB type AB cable which you connect to Genos' USB-to-host socket.

If you use an iPad witch "Lightning" connector, I recommend the Apple "Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter". It has a USB type A AND a Lightning socket, to connect the power adapter simultanously.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »
Hi Chris
Thank you for your reply. Still can’t get it to work! For information purposes it is the St Just Organ. Looking at the settings Great channel is Midi channel 1; Swell is Midi channel 2; Pedal is Midi channel 3. I have changed the template to All parts but am not sure what other category of changes to make. Not being very Midi literate could you or someone else do a dummy guide for me please.
Mike

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
Hi Mike,

Out of curiosity, I spent a few minutes to configure Genos to work with St Just Organ iOS app.

St Just Organ app with Genos (Port:  Right1, Channel Port1 Ch1)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rxNHNDPQSnbjSz1P7

Connection:  Apple Lightning USB3.0 Camera Connection kit to a powered USB 3.0 hub with 10 USB 3.0 ports, which connects to a iRig MIDI 2, with MIDI in port connected with a MIDI cable from Genos MIDI A out:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PDCRTc2bckDKeQ7M7

Short video showing St Just Organ apps working with Genos through MIDI A out channel 1 for Great channel as a start (please excuse me for my bad demo since I was in a hurry just to show it worked):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kda21hzg1Y7qzdkW7

I did not try the Swell (MIDI channel 2) and Pedal (MIDI channel 3) since I have only one iRig MIDI 2 iOS interface.

For organs:
Great:  Lower manual / keyboard
Swell:  Upper manual / keyboard
Pedal:  Bass note pedals

With V-Console for Genos, I am using Genos as Swell (upper keyboard), Kronos 2 88-key as Great (lower keyboard), and JG3 24-note pedal as Pedal.

If I want to configure the keyboards and pedal correctly for St Just Organ app, I will configure:
Genos as Swell, using MIDI A Out, with Right 1 using Port 1 Channel 2,
Kronos 2 88-key as Great, using MIDI out Channel 1,
JG3 24-note pedal using MIDI out Channel 3. 

Each of these MIDI connections requires an iOS MIDI device such as iRig MIDI 2.  So you will have to buy 2 more iRig MIDI 2, or one iConnect MIDI2+ to connect to the powered USB 3.0 hub that the iPad/iPad Pro connects to.  The MIDI connection concept of St Just Organ is similar to that of V-Console for Genos, except that V-Console uses USB 2 MIDI port 8 to communicate with Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »
Hi Paul
Thank you for this.
Before you posted this I had spoken to Yamaha Technical Support, who recommended their midi device MD-BT01 and guaranteed it would work. So I got one! Let's see.............
Mike

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:34 PM »
Hi Paul
Thank you for this.
Before you posted this I had spoken to Yamaha Technical Support, who recommended their midi device MD-BT01 and guaranteed it would work. So I got one! Let's see.............
Mike

Hi Mike,

If you only need the Great channel of the St Just Organ app to be triggered by the keys of Genos, then I confirm that the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter works just fine. 

If you want to also address the Swell and Pedal of the St Just Organ app, then you will have to purchase additional iOS supported MIDI devices for the second/swell keyboard and bass pedal.

Please note that when you get your MD-BT01, you have to do the following:
1.  Plug the end of the MD-BT01 device, with the arrow facing away from the device, to the MIDI A In port of Genos, the other end with the arrow facing the device itself to the MIDI A Out port of Genos.  The MD-BT01 draws power from Genos directly and its operation is automatic.
2.  Install the free Korg "BLE MIDI" app for the detection and connection of the MD-BT01 device - the Settings app on iPad / iPad Pro by default does not detect the MD-BT01 connection.  Every time you reboot the Genos or iPad / iPad Pro, you have to reconnect the MD-BT01 using the BLE MIDI app.

As far as the MIDI configuration of Genos, since you also have V-Console, there is no need for any change in your Genos MIDI settings based on the MIDI template for V-Console.  All you have to do is to use the default Genos Right 1 voice "S.Art CFX Concert Grand" to transmit the whole range of keyboard over MIDI A out, MIDI channel 1 to trigger the Great tones of the St Just Organ app.

PS:  If you only use Genos at home, the Yamaha MD-BT01 is fine.  If you have to use Genos away from home, then the Quico Sound mi.1 (rev 3) bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter is much more compact - you can leave them permanently on even when moving Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
Thank you Paul for all your assistance. Informing me to install the Korg app probably saved the day with the Yamaha lead working a treat. I was able to get all the voices I wanted the auto pedal button also giving me the bass notes I needed. All in all a very interesting church organ app.
Mike