Author Topic: Anyone expecting an O.S. update?  (Read 35225 times)

Offline hans1966

Re: Anyone expecting an O.S. update?
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2019, 12:49:57 AM »
Hello DonM, I am very happy to know that you are still with us. Your wise advice has guided us in the process of knowledge of our arranger. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2019, 12:54:31 AM »
My first impressions were that Don's post should not get the boot just because he mentioned about the Korg product. By that same logic, posts that use words like Hammond, Techniques, Nord, Roland....should be booted out as well. I knew that wouldn't happen, of course.

Good to have you back, Don. We were all just starting to like you, and then you decided to leave (LOL) ;D!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2019, 01:24:10 AM »
I knew it was not likely that any moderator had deleted Don’s post. I checked the log and there was no record of any deleted post and was about to contact Don to tell him this when I saw his post that it all been a mistake. Very pleased that it has been resolved and Don is still a member and our friend.
Cheers Don.
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2019, 02:58:23 AM »
Two free updates/upgrades maybe are still not enough to reach to the Top  :)

Don (or everyone else) may I ask you one question with all the respect.

I like to play Classical music,EDM and music made by synthesizers(electronic music)
and 70's & 80's pop-rock music.
I rarely use my keyboard to play any kind of folklore music.
(e.g American country,European countries folklore music,Arabian or Indian music etc).

Should I buy a Yamaha,a Korg or something else?

DonM

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2019, 07:01:56 AM »
Two free updates/upgrades maybe are still not enough to reach to the Top  :)

Don (or everyone else) may I ask you one question with all the respect.

I like to play Classical music,EDM and music made by synthesizers(electronic music)
I rarely use my keyboard to play any kind of folklore music.
(e.g American country,European countries folklore music,Arabian or Indian music etc).

I can't comment on that.  Both keyboards have plenty of styles for these genres.  I don't do enough of those types of music to have an opinion. 
I suggest you do your best to try both lines and see which you like better.

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »

This one is easy to answer. Given your musical preferences, go get yourself

- a decent digital piano
- a fine B3 clone
- some versatile synths
- (semi-)pro sounding audio gear (mixer, monitors, subwoofer)
- if you're fluent with computers you may want to complement that with the world of VST instruments/effects

If you think I'm nuts you may be very true. But the above is what I arrived at after 20 years of advancement starting with a PSR-2000. And the journey stll continues...  ;D

Brands are not THAT important, after all.
Regards, Michael

Offline panos

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
Don got it right.
Dromeus I need a band(or a an orchestra) to play with me,so every other kind of instrument it doesn't suit me,even if it is a 45.000$ Grand Piano.

Both Yamaha & Korg have overall great sounds.
Both have a piano sound which is weak compared to a digital piano no matter how many gigabytes someone will spend to create one.

Their difference is in amount of the available styles.
I have done  my homework as Don said and looked up for styles to see If I could play my favourite music before I buy a Yamaha.
Why is it so hard to find covers with specific songs and song styles from Korg players?

How an upgrade or two or three,will be useful too me in the first place,
if I have to make my own styles for well known songs while there are players who find it hard to change the OTS settings?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:48:16 AM by panos »

beykock

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »
Hi Panos,

If I were you I should go to a good music shop.
Hopefully you will find what you need.

Good luck ! Babette
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:52:46 AM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
Hi Panos,
 There are lots of dedicated styles out there which are song specific and don't forget Yamaha Music Soft where you can purchase more very good styles. Also Midi Spot.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »
Amen, Bob! In any case, I've moved on. There's too much to do and play -- without much time left!  :) As I sit here in a-fib (again), there's so little that we can control, including Yamaha.

All the best -- pj

Paul - I'm sending you a PM ... let me know if you get it please !

Stuart.

DonM

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Don got it right.
Dromeus I need a band(or a an orchestra) to play with me,so every other kind of instrument it doesn't suit me,even if it is a 45.000$ Grand Piano.

Both Yamaha & Korg have overall great sounds.
Both have a piano sound which is weak compared to a digital piano no matter how many gigabytes someone will spend to create one.

Their difference is in amount of the available styles.
I have done  my homework as Don said and looked up for styles to see If I could play my favourite music before I buy a Yamaha.
Why is it so hard to find covers with specific songs and song styles from Korg players?

How an upgrade or two or three,will be useful too me in the first place,
if I have to make my own styles for well known songs while there are players who find it hard to change the OTS settings?

Let's see... a few of the song/styles I use on my 4x...
Suspicious Minds
Wonderful Tonight
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Long Train Running
Mustang Sally
Midnight Hour
Many Credence songs
Now or Never
Crocodile Rock
Twist
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Pretty Woman
Satisfaction
The Last Waltz
Last Date
Gimme Three Steps
The Weight
Black Magic Woman
Tears in Heaven
Lay Down Sally
Shake a Tail Feather
Soul Man
Chain of Fools
Rock Around the Clock
Johnny Be Good
Candle in the Wind
Too many to remember actually.  Many are factory styles, some are extra free styles from Korg, some are from the German model "Musicant", some are from older models.
Plus, all you have to do to get a song specific file, is load the midi file, push a button to automatically convert it to a style.
Not all conversions are perfect but many are really good.
Now the later "dance" songs, rap, etc., I don't know about.  I know there are some Disco styles that fit specific songs.
Many or maybe all of these styles and more are available, in my PSR as well. 
I wouldn't think availability of song/styles would be a determining factor in choose which arranger to buy.  There are many more strengths and weaknesses in both lines. 
I think we are getting off topic here, so will bow out unless asked something specific.
Oh, and I preferred the PA4X, before either one of the upgrades, but you understand my needs and likes will almost certainly be different from others.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:33:37 AM by DonM »

Offline panos

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
Few of the songs you have mentioned Don,is the kind of music I want to play,you are right about dance music etc.which I don't see many covers with Korg keyboards.

User made styles by a midi file?
hm.....
I am a user who knows basic things about music theory and nothing about making styles, how good a style will it be?
Yes, midi conversion it may work but how about things missing,like basses and other organs may not play the exact correct patterns/riffs,specific chords may sound weird, voices and all effects must be applied by hand etc.

For Yamaha's we have midi2style which can do the same thing not automatically though but by hand.
But we also have far more free styles available and also free styles made by professional stylemakers too.
Even the older ones when they are wellmade,takes a little time to re-voice and equalize them rather than build a style from the beginning.

Unfortunately or not Don, styles do matter in a keyboard like those we play.
It is what it makes it differenet from other instruments with a keybed.
In my country if you want to play folklore music there are lot of available (paid) sources for buying folklore songstyles for Korg keyboards.
For Yamaha's we've got just half of an expansion pack with basic rhythms/styles.

Neither Yamaha or Korg of course as we both can understand cannot make a style for each song anyone wishes for,
neither Genos or PA4x can do anything that anyone wishes for, even with updates and upgrades.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

If you are really happy playin' "Classical music, EDM, electronic music and 70's & 80's pop-rock music" using an arranger keyboard, then go for it. You will be happy with Yamaha as well as Korg keys. Just my 2 ct.

Regards, Michael

DonM

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2019, 06:57:08 AM »
panos,
A lot of the later Korg styles that they offer free are suited for what you want.  I'm not familiar with the songs, so can't offer much help.
As for the automatic midi to style conversions, if you start with a good midi file, you will get a good style.  The old Tune 1000 files convert very nicely, and I think most following that same standard format would as well.  The sounds default to GM sounds, but they are easily changed to Factory sounds if necessary. 

beykock

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
Hi Panos,

Keep in mind Yamaha are offering a lot of software and each Yamaha arranger keyboard has a plug-and-play operation with a very reliable and modern technology.

Think it over before you make a decision.

Even most second hand Yamaha highend arranger keyboards are very reliable and popular !

Yamaha's arrangers : worldwide leader !

Good luck with your choice !👌

Babette
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:44:20 AM by beykock »

Offline panos

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »
My question was just rhetorical.Sorry If I didn't make it clear  :)

Before I buy the s750 I knew also that there was a Pa600 (if I remeber well) with the same price,similar features and of course both with great sounds and nice styles and I have chosen the psr because I saw more covers in Youtube with the psr than the pa.

My point from the very start is that we act with this update/upgrade like the Genos is a kind of problematic keyboard and wonder why they take them so long to fix it,while Genos is like any other keyboard with it's advantages and disadvantages.

What it will be my next keyboard?
hmmm.... :-\
when the time comes it will be something that can play Jan's new styles, that's for sure  :)

beykock

« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
IMHO the S970/S975 would be the best option for you, Panos, but ... who am I ?😝

All depends on what YOU expect and what YOU want.
Or you go for Yamaha or you go for another brand.

In the past I owned a Yamaha T2 and a Korg PA2X.
Both arrangers had their own features.

I found out it is not easy and very complicated to have 2 arrangers with a complete different software structure.

Finally I decided to go for one brand only.
Yamaha won the race.
Sold both keyboards and decided to go for the Tyros5/76.

The T5 is the best arranger for my personal use.
I hope I can keep it for many years to come.

You are the decision maker. Nobody else.

Take care, Babette