Author Topic: Anyone expecting an O.S. update?  (Read 35580 times)

Offline EileenL

Re: Anyone expecting an O.S. update?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
No one knows or even if there will be one.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2019, 06:37:08 PM »
when is the new update for genos?

That's a good question. Several forum members have indicated that they had heard it would happen this month but so far nothing and there are only 2 days left in the month. And as always, no word from Yamaha and its been over 10 months since the last update.

Offline soryt

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »
I hope they wil fix the problems with the registrations , and i hope that there wil be a better sound editing program than the terrible Expansion manager software

Soryt  8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline pjd

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »
Ah, the thread that won't die...  ;D

Someone has probably noted this already, but the date of the last update (v1.3) as shown on the Yamaha USA Genos downloads page is 11 April 2018. This coincided with the first day for the 2018 Frankfurt Musikmesse.

The 2019 Musikmesse starts on April 4.

If there's no update on or before the 4th, then c'est la vie.  ;)

-- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 02:56:19 AM »
Ah, the thread that won't die...  ;D

Someone has probably noted this already, but the date of the last update (v1.3) as shown on the Yamaha USA Genos downloads page is 11 April 2018. This coincided with the first day for the 2018 Frankfurt Musikmesse.

The 2019 Musikmesse starts on April 4.

If there's no update on or before the 4th, then c'est la vie.  ;)

-- pj

An interesting factoid.... let's hope that Yamaha doesn't disappoint otherwise we're probably done with any significant feature additions to Genos, a sad day to be sure.

Bachus

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 05:20:45 AM »
To Bachus; Go to Utility- Effect Switch. There you can turn Global A/D on or off.

Christopher.

Thank You CHristopher

Bachus

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 05:23:08 AM »

Its almost April now.
My best bet is they will announce it at musik messe (early april)
And there will be some new features in it
To give Genos a small sales mid life sales push

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline EileenL

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »
Well we have never seen new features added to updates. Just small faults corrected as I suspect will be the case next time.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »
I think that some of the updates people ask for will only be needed by a small fraction of users. Yamaha has only a certain number of staff and resources which are available, so I suppose they will pick, assuming we get an update, what they think is best.
Oldden

Offline DerekA

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »
I don't believe Yamaha has ever promised to release any updates for the PSR, Tyros or Genos.

They will have plenty of buyers when Genos2 comes along; I don't see much incentive there for them to do anything that's not fixing a critical flaw, by which I mean something that doesn't work as described in the manuals 99.9% of the time.
Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
I don't believe Yamaha has ever promised to release any updates for the PSR, Tyros or Genos.

They will have plenty of buyers when Genos2 comes along; I don't see much incentive there for them to do anything that's not fixing a critical flaw, by which I mean something that doesn't work as described in the manuals 99.9% of the time.

Actually they did promised at least one functional update to Genos and you can find the comment in one of the early versions of a Genos manual (I can't remember whether it was  the User or Reference guide) but I remember reading it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:36:54 PM by StuartR »

Offline pjd

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
Stuart got me searching the manuals for "update." It's interesting to take note of Yamaha's written statements in the Genos Owner's Manual.

"SPECIFICATIONS SUBJECT TO CHANGE: The information contained in this manual is believed to be correct at the time of printing. However, Yamaha reserves the right to change or modify any of the specifications without notice or obligation to update existing units."

"Yamaha may from time to time update firmware of the product without notice for improvement in functions and usability. To take full advantage of this instrument, we recommend that you upgrade your instrument to the latest version. The latest firmware can be downloaded from the website below: http://download.yamaha.com/"

The Reference Manual contains only the second statement.

No real promises here. Of course, it was a simple search and I might have missed something.

I still love this thing, so please don't get me wrong.  8)

Off to play -- pj
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:41:10 PM by pjd »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
Well if it was in the manual it probably has been covered by the updates we have had already.
  What normally happens is if you find something is not working correctly you report it to your Yamaha service department. They then check it out and send a report of to Japan. It is then down to them if they think an update is necessary. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:43:18 PM by EileenL »

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Well we have never seen new features added to updates. Just small faults corrected as I suspect will be the case next time.
Hi EileenL.
Never seen new features??
And the Audio Phraser and User Audio Drums what is this??...
In the first Specifications it was not included... Is this new features or not?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:02:08 PM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »
Stuart got me searching the manuals for "update." It's interesting to take note of Yamaha's written statements in the Genos Owner's Manual.

"SPECIFICATIONS SUBJECT TO CHANGE: The information contained in this manual is believed to be correct at the time of printing. However, Yamaha reserves the right to change or modify any of the specifications without notice or obligation to update existing units."

"Yamaha may from time to time update firmware of the product without notice for improvement in functions and usability. To take full advantage of this instrument, we recommend that you upgrade your instrument to the latest version. The latest firmware can be downloaded from the website below: http://download.yamaha.com/"

The Reference Manual contains only the second statement.

No real promises here. Of course, it was a simple search and I might have missed something.

I still love this thing, so please don't get me wrong.  8)

Off to play -- pj

I should have clarified that the "future update" comment was from an earlier version of the manuals and was probably provided in firmware version 1.30. That's what is giving me some small hope that Yamaha will continue to provide updates. Another reason I have hope is that I think Yamaha used a more upgradable OS in Genos compared to what they used in the Tyros family. Perhaps it was taken from Montage?

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 01:23:16 AM »
Hi,

I am told a new Genos update will be presented by Yamaha in February 2019.

I do not know if this information is true and has been confirmed yet.

Babette

Dear Babette, now we know it was not correct. I am very disappointed and probably not the only one.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline StuartR

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2019, 05:00:24 AM »
Dear Babette, now we know it was not correct. I am very disappointed and probably not the only one.

Cheers

Kaarlo

I think as of today it's been exactly 11 months since we've seen anything from Yamaha concerning Genos. Given that there are a number of unresolved bugs to be fixed I'm assuming that if that's all we were going to get we would have gotten another bug fix update or two before now. So that leads to the possibility of an upcoming feature release. Or I could be just dreaming...:)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »

There were rumors that it had to be in the end of February... But, as you see, we are in the middle of March and nothing at the horizon... :)
IMO, it will not be an update to Genos anymore. I bet they already work for Genos 2 and they implement all "inappropriate working stuff" from Genos into Genos 2 with the good approach, by listening the feedback from users from Genos.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Bachus

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
I can understand why Yamaha will not do any updates for Genos..
There is so many people here defending Yamaha for not doing so..
That they would be stupid to invest a huge amount of time on updates..

Personally i very much disagree with this..
But in the end, its all about making the things you have work for you.
In my case, it took a MODX8 to have a near perfect GENOS setup..

Still a sad thing, Yamaha Arrangers department doesn't realise the potential of Content and feature updates
All the other top end contenders (Korg, Kurzweil, Ketron, Nord, Roland) and even Yamaha Synth division realise.
the potential of extra sales comes from regular content and feature updates..

The following users thanked this post: Tommy 73

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »
One year before Yamaha had released the 1.30 Version in the first day of Frankfurt Musikmesse 2018..
I hope to see again in the Frankfurt Musikmesse 2019 (5-9 April) a new Update/Upgrade for Genos.....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:27:01 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
Hi Bachus,
I agree to a certain extent but Yamaha have always taken more notice of personal contact if you think there is a fault. They really do not spend time on forums much and use them more to see how many use there keyboards. They will have a good idea of what people are asking for and then weigh up the figures of whether it is a viable proposition to add things which quite honestly will only be used by a few as most forums have lots of members that are quite content with there Genos.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
[/b][/color]
Regards,
Vali

I am afraid Valimaties is correct, in suspecting ....." there will not be an update for the  Genos anymore" ....and   I  KvF believe the experts on this site had a reason to make us feel there would be . e.g. helping YAMAHA sales "... they are already working on Genos II and ... implementating fixes for all the inappropriately working stuff on Genos I into Genos II  ......by listening to the feedback from users from Genos.  KvF of course  was criticised  when voicing doubt  it might not be for Genos

Let me add a prediction,
"I-want-the-latest- "I-have-the-money" - People will earn YAMAHAS respect for pouring their money into Genos II even before having found out  anything  about it.  That is what they did with Genos I. 

The experts on this site will - as they did with Genos even before update 1.2 came (when  I felt it was unuseable on gigs)   keep telling us, it is just a different sort of animal, it is the best keyboard ever on the planet.

You will within weeks after Genos II is announced see plenty of posts, "Your audience will congratulate you for how much better your new keyboards sounds."
I was lambasted on this frorum for being "negative" and "anti - Genos I."   This will not happen with Genos II. I learnt my lesson. 

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »
Eileen wrote
They will have a good idea of what people are asking for and then weigh up the figures of whether it is a viable proposition to add things which quite honestly will only be used by a few as most forums have lots of members that are quite content with there Genos.
And therein lies the difference between "wants" and "bugs."

The "wants" will likely show up in Genos II. Meanwhile, the features that are supposed to work on Genos I, should work perfectly. Yamaha has a history of holding themselves to the highest standard. If it's broken, they need to fix it, even if only five people out of thousands use a particular feature. If it doesn’t work and the manual says, “You can do XYZ by…,” then remove it from the manual.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline panos

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »
    Tyros (1 May 2002)
    Tyros2 (21 June 2005)
    Tyros3 (17 April 2008)
    Tyros4 (16 June 2010)
    Tyros5 (13 July 2013)
    Genos (31 August 2017)

Genos 2 when? Not so hard to figure it out.
Genos is still selling right?

Will Genos 2 be released sooner because Genos is not good?
It is not good compared to what exactly?
To Tyros 5?
What are the things that Tyros 5 can do but Genos cannot do, so it is faulty and not good?
What are the things that Genos can do but Tyros 5 cannot?

It is not good compared to Montage 7?
They are different kind of instruments.
Why should Genos have the same abilities as the Montage?
Montage doesn't have styles so it doesn't have the same abilities of Genos in the first place.

It is not good compared to PAx4?
Was Tyros 5 better compared to PAx4 but Genos is not?
If you like the sound of Korg are you going to buy a Yamaha instead that you don't like it's sound but because the Yamaha has more...."features"?
"""I don't like how this piano sounds but I'm gonna buy it because I really like it's colour!!"""  :o

Neither Korg or Yamaha are going to produce any keyboard that has exactly the same features in all aspects as the other's company keyboard.
Technology may allow it but principles of economics certainly don't.

Updates are for fixing things that supposed to work but they don't work.
Adding new features or not is up to Yamaha to decide.
So things that supposed to work at the first place but they don't Yamaha MUST fix them no matter how many they are using them or not.
(not "wishes",not "I don't like how it sounds",not "but it can be done",not "but other keyboards have that feature" etc but "bugs").

There are many posts of what someone doesn't not like about his keyboard.
When someone will find the one that can do everything, it has the best sounds and styles and doesn't cost much, please inform us to buy it.

But meanwhile, blaming other users of Genos for being happy of the way they are using their instrument it doesn't sound neither nice or logical and that's why I have decided to write this long post.
Neither is good to blame someone who wants an "advanced" feature to work us it supposed to work.

Now I am going to play with my psr which never had an update.
I don't mind at all because, I rather "update" my noob playing skill level once in a while.
This kind of update is more important.

Murat

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
My first Yamaha keyboard was the PSR6300 and it never had an update!

Offline Bob88

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:52 PM »
    It would be great if Yamaha would  indicate  that an update is in the works or not.  At least it might end continuous speculation  and enable everyone  to move on.  Bob

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »
As I mentioned earlier - Yamaha doesn't like to talk to us after they have our money ;D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2019, 02:15:18 AM »
    It would be great if Yamaha would  indicate  that an update is in the works or not.  At least it might end continuous speculation  and enable everyone  to move on.  Bob

IT IS BETER FOR SALES to let potential buyers believe there will be an update. All the Yamaha connected posteres here insinuated Yamaha would take care of things. "Be patient,  what you dislike will soon be taken care of."  Whether they were victims of Yamaha strategy  or knew they were part of the stradegy is not for me to decide.   I for one would not have bought Genos had I known there will be no udpdates. I would have continued with the Tyros 5 until  Genos II.

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 03:04:50 AM »
I would have continued with the Tyros 5 until  Genos II.
...until Genos II starts to show all its bugs ;D...then Genos III and its bugs...see where this is going?
Good point though, Kaarlo.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »
It's been an absolutely consistent pattern on the arranger series that there is an early flurry of bugfix updates, then no updates with new features.

It really should not be coming as a surprise to anyone that the Genos updates have stopped. As I keep saying Yamaha never officially promise anything!
Genos

beykock

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
Somebody said the newest Genos update will be presented during the Musikmesse ( April 2019 ) / Germany.

Wait and see.

Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2019, 02:33:51 PM »
Yamaha have never introduced new features with an update (even on Tyros 5) The update is just to fix
things on the keyboard that do not work as they should not make additions. We all know these will come out on new models based to an extent of what people have been asking for that they would like on the keyboard. If you have been a long term Yamaha user you will know this anyway as this is the way they work.
Why would they keep issuing updates when all the faults have been put right. There are probably a couple of things that need attention but I don't think they will be new features.

Offline pjd

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
… enable everyone  to move on.  Bob

Amen, Bob! In any case, I've moved on. There's too much to do and play -- without much time left!  :) As I sit here in a-fib (again), there's so little that we can control, including Yamaha.

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: EileenL

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
Yamaha have never introduced new features with an update (even on Tyros 5) The update is just to fix things on the keyboard that do not work as they should not make additions. We all know these will come out on new models based to an extent of what people have been asking for that they would like on the keyboard. If you have been a long term Yamaha user you will know this anyway as this is the way they work.
Why would they keep issuing updates when all the faults have been put right. There are probably a couple of things that need attention but I don't think they will be new features.

Dear Eileen. Thanks as so often. You could not have put it better.  Toyota had to fix a staggering 10.000 000 cars due to a security problem. But there has never been a recall by any manufacturer to "upgrade" anything. Boeings are grounded, but nobody expects the company to put additional mirrors in the lavatories.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »
It's interesting how the Montage line, and now the Yamaha CPs (stage pianos) line, both get updates that introduce new features and/or new sounds - sometimes significant new content.  I read that the "1.1" firmware version for the new CP pianos added about a 1/2 dozen sounds including one significant new piano sound, plus a few new features and fixes.  We have read about Montage updates with significant new features etc.

But you're right that it seems that the Arranger Workstations keyboard (Tyros and now Genos) only get fixes and not new features, for the most part, on updates firmware releases . . .

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »
It's interesting how the Montage line, and now the Yamaha CPs (stage pianos) line, both get updates that introduce new features and/or new sounds - sometimes significant new content.  I read that the "1.1" firmware version for the new CP pianos added about a 1/2 dozen sounds including one significant new piano sound, plus a few new features and fixes.  We have read about Montage updates with significant new features etc.
And even after all the free upgrades to the other Yamaha products, they won't even send through a simple fix- to display everything in a list, alphabetically!!!! I will never believe that it would take a team of software developers tons of overtime to write a script to sort their lists >:(. It's a royal pain in the butt. Alphabetical listing has been around since the computer was invented. Who is the complete moron at Yamaha who decided that just throwing the list items in random groups was intelligent ::)? He or she needs to be fired.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »
Eileen, sorry but this is absolutely NOT TRUE!!
On version 1.10 was added the Audio Multi-recording function;
On version 1.20 was added the Search function and the ability to use expansion drums with Drum Setup Editor;
On version 1.30 was added the Guide function for songs.
You can easily verify this reading the update history!

For Tyros 5 you're right, but this is probably because a limit of its operating system, different from the Genos one.

Francesco

Not forgetting the YEM and voice creating upgrades which were issued with Tyros, over a period of a year.

John

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2019, 09:26:20 PM »
When I was a T5 owner, someone mentioned that Yamaha does have a staff member who monitors these forums on occasion. Is this right or wrong? Doe anyone know for sure?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »
I am not so sure this still happens. Also with all the Genos bashing that took place and Yamaha accused of only being interested in the money it did not make good reading for anyone. I am sure they still prefer the personnel approach. We always get first class treatment when ever we phone our Tech support here. And they do go out of there way to help. 

beykock

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »
What will happen to Yamaha arranger keyboards and other Yamaha instruments after the Brexit in the UK ?

I hope everything goes well for all UK musicians and home players.

Babette
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:14:06 PM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
That's anyone's guess It is now becoming laughable because if you did not laugh you would cry.
  Still at 83 I have my Genos and I am sure that will see me out  :) ;) :)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2019, 05:58:57 PM »
I agree with Eileen  that the Genos is a great Instrument and It will not get that much better for sound ,only more knobs and cosmetic changes
Also probably more complicated!! ::) :P ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:05:37 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

DonM

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2019, 06:21:48 PM »
Uh  oh.
Seems my post was deleted.  I mentioned that Korg has had two free upgrades.
After being here from the start, 15 years, helping countless people, and some 3,400 posts.  I will be leaving now.
My friends know where to reach me.

Offline micdonk

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
So sorry to read this DonM.
You’re so right about korg with the 2 upgrades and not only updates to fix things.

I hope Yamaha has noticed, we payed a lot of money.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
Uh  oh.
Seems my post was deleted.  I mentioned that Korg has had two free upgrades.
After being here from the start, 15 years, helping countless people, and some 3,400 posts.  I will be leaving now.
My friends know where to reach me.

Hello DonM, you have been a very important member of this forum. You do not have to leave simply because some people do not agree with you. I personally am grateful to you, for the advice and recommendations that you gave me at a certain time. I know you have great friends in this wonderful forum, who also appreciate you and expect you to continue contributing your valuable experience. a hug. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline pjd

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2019, 09:31:41 PM »
When I was a T5 owner, someone mentioned that Yamaha does have a staff member who monitors these forums on occasion. Is this right or wrong? Does anyone know for sure?

Hi Lee -- I've met a few of the USA Yamaha reps face-to-face. They do check on the PSR Tutorial Forum. How regular? Not sure.

Seems my post was deleted.
I will be leaving now.

Hi Don -- I've had a few posts disappear here or there. It's only the crummy Internet, after all, and I hope you stay on.  :'( We all benefit greatly from your experience and friendly comments.

The best to everyone -- pj

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2019, 10:23:21 PM »
@ Eileen:

Honest question: Why does Genos criticism to you always translates to Genos bashing? You don't have to agree, you are entitled to your own opinion in a1 civilized and non offensive way. Please stop mixing up those two words, as a non-native I find it very confusing :)

Criticism in my opinion btw. often keeps manufacturers on their toes. It forces them to stay ahead, which is a good thing for us customers.

kind regards,
Peter

beykock

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »

Hi,

I hope and pray DonM will come back asap.🙏

Like many other members, I honestly believe people like Don are absolutely needed here.

Take care, Babette

DonM

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2019, 11:26:58 PM »
Thank everyone.  I was called by an administrator and no one deleted the post.  It must have been an internet glitch of some kind.
My apologies please!

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, pjd, Roger Brenizer

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
Hi

This is called psr tutorial and i suppose the Genos is not a PSR!! So, where does that leave Korg!!??? ;D  Sausages to that then!! ::) :o ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:23:47 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox