Author Topic: Signs it is time to system reset  (Read 5975 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Signs it is time to system reset
« on: January 27, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »
As you can see from my recent posts, a lot is going on with the tyros 4. The issues have been accumulating over time. Thankfully, I met a technically inclined local keyboard player, that is the lynch pin, to my finally addressing these issues.

1. The ghost note issue, is intermittent, and I saw that issue ( ghost notes ) a year or two ago... and the other day, yet, yet, I cannot reproduce the oddity again!

2. Ditto for the "Reformat hard drive " message.. it is unpredictable when it shows up on Main screen.

3. I have noticed some consistent ( not intermittent ) abnormalities in a few drum styles.
Sounding like the MIDI message is triggering the inccorect drum sound  eg on a shuffle I am hearing some unmusical sound along with the correct drum sounds.
These abnormalities in drum sounds are few , and easily ignored, but the accumulation of all of these issues is beginning to lead me to the idea of resetting.

There are a number of degrees to a reset.. anyones experience with resetting is appreciated.

Then there is this... The idea is to first save your data before formatting drives or resetting.
1. I do not understand the distinction between a reset and a formatting a drive
2  And most importantly , if there is a corruption ( my assumption, which could be at fault ) in the t4 now, is there not a danger of reformatting / resetting, then putting back the same old data, which was corrupted, that I was trying to alleviate?

I do not know if I articulated that well... but take the old wine out, clean the bottle, and put the old wine back in... is the idea I am presenting for your opinion.

How does a corrupted t4 get un corrupted??  Or is my premise wrong?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:44:41 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline EileenL

Re: Signs it is time to system reset
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:11:49 PM »
If you are doing a full factory reset you must save all your USER files to a USB stick as these could be lost when reset is done. It is then easy to pop them back when reset completed.

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »
The only reason for a factory reset should be if you’re selling your keyboard, and want to set it to factory new position.

A soft reset (power on plus highest white key) is harmless, and can be used whenever you think it might help. Some settings might return to their default, but this is easily fixed with a setup registration.

Don’t format your hard drive without a technically competent person helping you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Denn

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
Hello Sugar,
And most importantly , if there is a corruption ( my assumption, which could be at fault ) in the t4 now, is there not a danger of reformatting / resetting, then putting back the same old data, which was corrupted, that I was trying to alleviate?

The short answer to that is YES! I have had problems with my pedal settings.
 I ticked all the boxes and unticked the boxes but the pedal settings went haywire with my registration. I cleared the registrations from my keyboard, downloaded the backups from box net and installed that. Same big problem. Lots of not nice things were happening. I went through the keyboard and unticked everything, then went into the functions and reset the whole thing back to original. Then went into the memory and some of the boxes were ticked, OK by me if that’s what the original is. Into functions and ticked the boxes in the parameter lock that I needed and then installed my backup regs. The H/D in the T4 is just like any other computer. Save what you have and format it. If what you have saved is corrupt then when you re-install it will still be corrupt so delete it and start again.
If you are concerned then couple it to your computer as per the user manual and look at the drive. It comes up as another drive on your computer. I use this method if I want to install or remove lots of things. It’s only a machine, a computer with tone generators. Unless you hit it with a hammer then you won’t damage it.
Remember, Yamaha did not make these keyboards to play, they made puzzle boxes to play with.  ;)  ::)
Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
I am so slow in my understanding these "boxes"... I have put a new hard drive in but same files!! SO far so good.
What do you mean puzzle boxes!!!  That strikes me as funny.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
The ticks in the memory box will not tell you how they were set originally when your registration was created. They only show what they are presently set at. If your pedals are not set as you want then the easiest thing to do is set them as you want and resave into your registration buttons. Then re-save the bank.

Offline Denn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
Sorry Sugarplum, I tend to be a bit factious with things. ALL these forum are run or used by people who are either trying to learn the basics of the kbds or to alter the kbd to something else. I wrote a screed "Mathematics of the Tyros" explaining the variations you can get without any extra imports. The variations and adjustments on the T4 would keep you going for a thousand years!
Stuff ups on the kbds come from importing other peoples registrations and styles. The main upset is the shifting of the split point, another is locking in different pedal settings, and again altering the master key settings. Using Custom voices or styles can also upset things. I could go on for ages about DSP etc. These are things that can upset you and many are difficult to find and rectify. Clean the machine and only use your own registrations or really trusted ones.
This is a link to Puzzle Boxes:- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=puzzle+boxes
Regards,Denn.
Love knitting dolls