Author Topic: SSD faster navigation than original drive?  (Read 3425 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

SSD faster navigation than original drive?
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:16:46 PM »
I am an admitted interloper , as I am living in the dark dank 20th century with a tyros 4, still!!... I am not yet seeking pity, merely info on a replacement for poor lowly t4 HD.

Does the SSD afford greater (not that much faster ) navigation speeds on main screen, than the original?

Thanks
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: SSD faster navigation than original drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
No!  There is no noticeable difference in any keyboard/disk actions.

I have an SSD in my T4 and the speed is no greater than the original hard disk.

This is to be expected since the SSD is still connected internally to the system via the slow (but adequate!) USB 2.0 controller built into the keyboard.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:22:07 PM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:28:44 AM »
... AND

the ssd will not work longer than a hd .. bec. of writing processes not opimized for ssd...

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:33:19 AM »
But there are no moving parts, so it might be a little sturdier than a traditional hard drive.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline wersianer

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
If the Genos successor had an SSD installed, that's the first thing I'll exchange. While an SSD may be stable against shock (my keyboard will not be transported), an internal clock will tick and the writing process will kill you sooner or later. My experience: In the PC 2 SSDs broke even in the warranty period. I prefer a conventional hard drive, especially since in Tyros / Genos no speed gain with an SSD is possible.

Roland

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
In terms of speed; everything has been said already. I wouldn't bother with an SSD - just stick to the HD that's in your T4. If you plan to replace it with a Genos later, you might want to consider start using higher capacity USB sticks. This will keep things portable - but won't make them faster either.

Cheers, Roland