Author Topic: How to change all 8 Master EQ GAIN settings as a group  (Read 4096 times)

Offline RoyceM

How to change all 8 Master EQ GAIN settings as a group
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:31 PM »
Just discovered something in the S975 Reference Manual that I hadn't discovered how to do on the S975 because it wasn't obvious like on my older S910.

Assume you have established a pattern of db settings in the 8-band GAIN portion of the MEQ screen. You can move the entire pattern up or down by holding down the E or J button and pressing any of the up or down buttons beneath the screen.

I haven't experimented with the potential benefits of this yet, but will be testing whether I can find better sounding MEQ settings than I already have.

- Royce
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:46:08 AM by RoyceM »
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

The following users thanked this post: sooty8

Offline Toril S

Re: How to change all 8 Master EQ GAIN settings as a group
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
Thanks Royce. Keep us posted.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Ed B

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:34:39 AM »
Hi
That feature is the same on the 970.....
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:22:25 AM »
UPDATE:

I have played in three different locations since my original post on moving the Master EQ GAIN settings as a group. As part of my setting up procedure, I did a little live play and moved the grouping up an down a little to find which sounded best in that venue. So far, in all three locations moving the group up 1 db has sounded the best to me, which was a surprise considering that two of those venues were quite live acoustically. I've many more venues to test in yet.

The following is a repeat of the settings I am using as my starting position (these were posted in another thread):

From the Master EQ menu, I chose POWERFUL. Then I increased the db of bands 4 and 5 one tick and 6 by two. The bass bands I lowered to -2 (for band #1) and -1 (for band #2. My idea here is to lower the bass to reduce booming and also to prevent it from masking the L1's weak mid-tones. Bumping up the mid bands is to help the mid-tones. These settings I saved in a user setting.

Here is an overview of the settings:

Band                           #1   #2   #3   #4   #5  #6   #7   #8
Default db Settings         3     2      2     2     1    1      2      2
My Settings Before Move -2    -1      2     3     2    3      2      2

When I first set up at a venue, I live-play a little bit and adjust bands 1 & 2 up or down as needed.

Regarding the compressor, from its menu I chose STANDARD and set the gain to 1 (and saved into a user setting).

Has anybody else played with moving the settings as a group?

- Royce
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:25:03 PM by RoyceM »
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
The Tyros's have this feature with their gain settings (although not on Genos, or at least I have not found it  ::) ) . Some found it useful to get  more volume from the sound, especially when there was a struggle to obtain sufficient via the normal volume controls although it's possibly less of an issue with later models. Care was needed not to go too far as it was possible to introduce distortion with some voices.

John
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:08:04 AM by jwyvern »

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:54:08 AM »
ANOTHER UPDATE:

As I have continued to visit the various venues on my January schedule, I am becoming excited over how my S975 is sounding through my L1 Compact when bumping up my Master EQ settings pattern by just 1 db (as I described in earlier posts). It is producing better sound than I thought I would ever hear with this combination of equipment.

Also, it's proving to be the opposite of what I had expected to happen. Rather than being "too much" for the medium to large spaces, it actually makes the sound "bloom with color" (At least to my ears it does.).

In the very small spaces, it's proving to spoil the sound. Might this be because of not enough resonance in which to "build" the sound? Not being an acoustics expert, I lack the vocabulary for describing dynamics of sound.

As a side note, I suspect that accompanying this EQ experimentation is that fact that my ears have been becoming accustomed to what had seemed to me a drastic change from what I had been so used to with my previous keyboard and sound system.

I am hoping my experiences will help others to discover improvements that will better satisfy their acoustic senses.

As always, I want to understand and benefit from others who use the S975 / Compact combo.

- Royce
PSR Performer page

Offline sooty8

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Thank you for the update Royce.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »
The Tyros's have this feature with their gain settings (although not on Genos, or at least I have not found it

Yes - PSR and Tyros can do this on *any* of the mixing console pages. Hold down the button at the side, and adjustments apply to all the columns. So you can for example reduce the cutoff across all style parts at once.

NB a good way to get a volume boost across the board is to go to the master compressor and bump up the overall gain.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: RoyceM, sooty8