Author Topic: Memorize "Rotary On/Off" button state for S.Art organs???  (Read 3366 times)

Offline jimlaing

Memorize "Rotary On/Off" button state for S.Art organs???
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:06:58 AM »
Hi - I am trying to save a Registration using one of the S.Art organs ... such as the All Bars Out sound in column 1 on page 1 of organs.  I want to save it with Rotary "on".  I cannot get this state to SAVE in a Registration.  I have tried checking the "Assignable Buttons" checkbox in Reg memory save page, but that does not do it.

Does anyone know of a way to save the state of Rotary On/Off button, to "on", when using the S.Art organs on page 1 of Organs (that it, *not* the Flutes organs).

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

whataguy

Re: Memorize "Rotary On/Off" button state for S.Art organs???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:50:05 AM »
Would the 'freeze' or 'memory' work? Don in MI

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
I have had the same problem as Jim in that I can’t save the rotary assignable button setting into a registration.

I did manage to do it once but can’t remember how I did it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
I have had the same problem as Jim in that I can’t save the rotary assignable button setting into a registration.

I did manage to do it once but can’t remember how I did it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can save button assignments in a registration. But other registrations can also save assignments, which might be different.

That's your problem. You have other registrations which change the assignments.

What I do is have a setup registration which sets the assignments the way I want. Then all my other registrations don't have assignments memorized.

But event with a button assigned, that doesn't turn the feature on or off. It just gives you a button so you can do that yourself.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »
Hi - the *assignment* is not actually a problem; I leave all buttons assigned a certain way, and I *don't* check the tick box (in Reg memory save) to save button assignments.  I never memorized button assignment into Registrations; and my button assignments always stay as I want, as I left them.  No problem there.

What I'm having trouble with is saving the *current state* (on or off) for the button.  If I use an Organ Flutes sound, I can save a Registration that memorizes the on or off state of "Rotary Sp" (whether the Leslie is on fast or slow).  If I save the exact same registration but use a S.Art. organ from page 1 on the Organs voices (which also use the Rotary SP button to select Leslie speed), instead of an Organ Flutes sound,  the state (on/off-ness) of the Leslie is NOT memorized in the registration. . .

Jim

Offline murrayb

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »
Hi Jim:

I did a test to see what happens within the registration.  Storing Whiter Bars with and without Rotary Sp creates no change in the registration, so that setting isn't being stored.  Storing Jazz Standard with and without Rotary Sp, changes a single character in the DSP section of the voice.

It is possible that the DSP is the reason you can't save the Rotary Sp with Whiter Bars.  Whiter Bars is using Distortion V Dist Cls s, while Jazz Standard uses Real Rotary.  The same byte that identified on/off for Jazz Standard contains a completely different setting for Whiter Bars.

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:56 PM »
Hi - thanks for doing that experiment.  I made a set of Registrations that also show this - here is the file (hopefully it'll attach OK to this message).  It contains 4 registrations that are part of this test

#1 - an Organ Flutes sound with Rotary SP "off" (slow leslie)
#2 - an Organ Flutes sound with Rotary SP "on" (fast leslie)
#3 - an S.Art. organ with Rotary SP "off" (no leslie)
#4 - an S.Art. organ with Rotary SP "on" (fast leslie)

You'll see that #4 is actually identical to #3, that is, the fact that I stored it
with Rotary SP "on" (fast leslie), did not get memorized into Registration #4.

I have sent Yamaha a note on this.
-Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
Hi Fred,

Thank you for your explanation. I think I understand what is happening now. I do have some registrations which may override my button assignment setting.

The set up registration which sets the assignments the way you want seems to be the way forward for me.

Kind regards

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline murrayb

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 11:50:30 PM »
Jim:

Your test file produced exactly the same results as mine.  In the first pair of buttons, byte 19 of Right 2 DSP section changed from "0" to "1" for the off/on setting. No other bytes were changed.

In the second pair, nothing changed in the registration as both buttons contained the same data.

It maybe that you can't save a rotary off/on setting with a Distortion DSP.

Murray

Offline murrayb

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »
Hi Jim:

I did a bit more testing with your registration this morning.  I created an insert dsp #6 with real rotary assigned to right voice 2.  With that, I was able to memorize rotary on/off for AllBarsOut.

The last entered insert dsp is the only one recorded in the voice dsp section of the registration file, and therefore the only one saved. 

Btw, the normal dsp effect assigned to AllBarsOut is set to off, so it had no effect on the voice, thus I think this might solve your problem with saving rotary on/off with the S.Art voices.

Revised registration is attached.

Cheers,

Murray

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
Hi - thanks - interesting.  One thing about these S.Art. organs, is that the "leslie" is actually recorded in the samples.  They do not use any Rotary effect; the slow or fast is done via the joystick (on Tyros, it was via the Mod Wheel).  Or, on Genos, the Rotary SP button also engages the 'fast leslie' variation in the sound.  I think that for each note, they must have sampled twice: once with Leslie set to Slow (on the actual organ they recorded), and one with the leslie set to Fast (on the actual organ).  Then we switch between those via the Joystick/mod-wheel (or Rotary SP button). 

For a particular song (Billy Joel's "Only The Good Die Young", I liked the sound of S.Art. organ "ALL BARS OUT" set to the Fast Leslie part of the sample.  But I can't store this with that selected, per these experiments i've been doing.  I could not get the sound I wanted via Organ Flutes, that really "does the trick" for this song  :-)

So, changing to a Genos Rotary might be an option; I could apply that to the sample that has the slow Leslie "built into the sample", and not use the 2nd sample of the voice, but use the Rotary DSP instead.  I'll experiment with it!

Thanks,
Jim