Author Topic: Question. Connecting alternative passive speaker to replace Satellites.  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Graham UK

Tyros2 A few years ago I used a pair of alternative passive speakers to replace the Yamaha satellites but still powered from the Yamaha Sub-Bass unit.
I'm having a senior moment (82 in April) and can't remember how I connected them.

Does this ring a bell with you and any advice please.
I do know the signal to the alternatives goes from the far L&R 1.4 inch jacks T2.
So the output from the SUB needs it's signal going to the input of T2.

Any reply appreciated.
DGX670

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Question. Connecting alternative passive speaker to replace Satellites.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »
Hi Graham,

I assume that you are using the original Yamaha cable loom from the T2's 'TO SUBWOOFER' outlets to the sub unit.  This comprises a cable with an 8 pin connector at each end and a second cable with a mono 1.4" jack plug at one end (the keyboard end) and an RCA phono type plug at the sub unit end.

These carry the signal from the keyboard to the amplifier in the sub unit, and also carry the amplified signals for the left & right satellite speakers back to the keyboard.

The final connection for the speakers is via a mono 1/4" jack socket at each end of the rear of the keyboard.  They are marked 'TO LEFT SPEAKER' and 'TO RIGHT SPEAKER'.   These form a convenient way of accessing the L and R speaker signals, even if you aren't using the Yamaha original speakers.  The original short cables supplied for this connection had a 1/4" mono jack plug at one end and an RCA phono plug at the speaker end.  If the speakers that you want to use don't have a single phono input socket, then you will need to make suitable cables for them with 1/4" jack plugs at the keyboard end.

The TRS-MS02 manual suggests that the original satellite speakers were 4 ohm impedance, so if you use alternatives with a higher impedance, you may find that they are not loud enough, but you wont hurt anything by trying them!

Regards

Ian

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
Ian. Your reply appreciated, You are correct regarding the Far L&R T2 output 1/4 inch sockets.
My Yamaha Sats +Bass are black  from early 9000 Pro, as stated I have used this same speaker set up before without any problem, (Mordaunt Short speakers 8 ohms).

For some reason the forum won't let me attach a photo ?
DGX670

Linda K

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »
Hi Graham

Sounds a good idea to use a pair of alternative passive speakers to replace the Yamaha satellites but still powered from the Yamaha Sub-Bass unit.

I might try this out as my base unit (not Yamaha), could be improved with the Yamaha bass.

Regards

Linda  ;D