Author Topic: USB Port Loose  (Read 7013 times)

Offline sooty8

USB Port Loose
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
I know that some time past I read a review on this topic on this web site.
I use an extension usb lead but the usb port has still become loose on the keyboard, I play about 3-4 gigs a week but having the extension lead in the port I thought this would not cause a problem.
I think I remember  the review mentioned on this site is that the repair was costly to have the usb port replaced.
Has anyone on this forum had this problem and let me know the cost or repair, I have had this keyboard from new.
If the cost is high I was thinking of part exchanging the S950 for a new S975.
Has anyone got any thoughts on this.

Thank You
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline sooty8

Re: USB Port Loose
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:38:54 PM »
An update on this thread, I think by the response  no one else has had this problem.
I e-mailed 5 keyboard dealerships Saturday regarding part exchanging my s950 for a S975 the response  was nil.
Went out gigging  today and yes the usb port collapsed and has got lost in the S950 body work.
I have had this keyboard from new February 2013 so nearly 6 years. I took out a 5 year warranty because of my gigging work.
To be fair I normally part exchange before the warranty  runs out, but buying a Tyros 5 last year I thought I would try to extend the S950 by another two years. Do not ask how I managed to run the one hour programme today, it was by a wing and a prayer.
I informed the audience of the problem, showed them the hole in the keyboard where the USB port should be, they found it funny but gave me great response to how I handled the programme. I got home, about 30minutes later I received a phone call from the dealership that sold me the Tyros 5. I was offered quite a good deal on the S975 and gave me some extra things, deducted an extra £50.00 from the part exchange as the USB port was broken, but gave me an extra £15.00 because I was collecting the keyboard myself.
I do not know how this USB port broke as I use a extension  cable, weather the cable was putting extra strain on the port once inside my gig bag I do not know.From Monday I will be in the S975 club as well as Tyros 5, not long now for the Genos.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
Hello Steve! You made a good deal. Congrats.
But, please NEVER EVER leave the cable in the USB socket when putting the keyboard in the gig bag!
As for holes in the keyboard, You maybe have read my story about my S970, that got destroyed in transport while on the way to a repair shop. There was a huge hole in it where the earphone socket used to be! Yamaha eventually replaced it with an S975.
I am not sure about Genos. In my case (vision problems) it is good to have buttons. I am looking forward to hear your opinion about the S975!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline sooty8

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:40:10 PM »
Thank you Toril, I think that is where I went wrong, I was under the impression that we left the cable in to prevent the USB port having problems. I will not use the cable in the future for transporting, thank you for the advice.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:26:28 PM »
Hello Steve :) We use the cable just to avoid taking the USB stick in and out of the socket many times and thereby straining it.
USB sockets brake easily if bent. But I have read here that many use a very small USB stick when out gigging, so small that it is almost not sticking out from the keyboard at all. In that case it won't get stuck on something, so that should go well. But, the safest thing in my opinion is to take it out. The S975 has a larger user memory, so you can leave some styles on the keyboard.
I am always afraid to forget the USB stick at home, so I understand why you left it in the cable, attached to the keyboard!!!
You will love the S975! All the best from Toril
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:45:27 AM »
Steve,

Buy a micro size USB drive for your S975.  You can leave it plugged in all the time without worrying  about it getting hit and damaging the USB socket.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:47:12 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline sooty8

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »
Thank you Toril and Joe for the advice.
Latest update,  Keyboard dealer let me down today, after repeated phone calls, it turns out there is no PSR975 in their warehouse at all but they can order one. Another dealer said that he could not take the S950 in part exchange as there was not enough profit for him, even though at the time of enquiry the S950 was perfect. Another dealer could not take the S950 in because they have not got their own engineer. At last Brian from MusicLand Romford, dealt with the deal. I dealt with MusicLand Canterbury for 9 years until it closed down.
I find that I have to travel further now as we have no Keyboard shops near us, which have no top end keyboards for sale. They mainly deal with the lower end market.
Brian explained to me that over time keyboard stores cannot stock many keyboards owing to customers ordering over the internet, this is a shame really, is this happening all over the world? how can we purchase something if we cannot try it out?
Some dealers give me the impression that they cannot be bothered, is trade that good? never mind Brexit might wake them up, or on the other hand it might not.

Steve

Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
Oh, that was unfortunate!! Hope you get hold of an S975 soon.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
Steve, unfortunately, I do not have the repair manual for the S-950, but after looking at mine, I am reasonably sure that the repair would not be all that expensive or complex. The USB socket is probably soldered on a PC board, and the board is likely anchored to the chasis by a couple small screws.

This said, if you have no electro-mechanical/electronic repair experience, I do not recommend undertaking this task yourself. Instead, take the keyboard to an authorized Yamaha Repair Center and have them do the job for you - just to be on the safe side.

Now, I rarely remove the USB drive from my S-950, and for the most part, unless I need to transfer some data from my PC into the drive, the drive remains in the S-950 just as if it were a miniature hard drive in the PC. I have an 8-gig drive that only protrudes about 1/4-inch out from the plug itself, therefore it is never exposed to breakage from someone inadvertently touching the USB drive itself. No extensions needed, no problems with access, very inexpensive, less than $15 US.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »
Repair it and keep it as a backup keyboard😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline sooty8

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Thank you Gary, Toril you must have been reading my mind, i searched on line for keyboard repairers and found one about a 30 minute drive away from me, its to late to call them now but i will contact them on Wednesday. I will let you know how I get on.
The dealers  are asking for £800 for a second hand PSR 850. I will see how much the repair will cost.

Regards

Steve

Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 01:16:40 AM »
Steve,

Assuming the repair can be done affordably, long wait times for parts can be avoided if you ask for shipping to be expedited. It will cost a few dollars more, but can save up to a week or more. (This is the arrangement I have with my local technician. It has kept me from losing business and it qualifies as a business expense.)

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page