Author Topic: Songs featuring Yamaha Genos...  (Read 5567 times)

keynote

Songs featuring Yamaha Genos...
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:53:30 AM »
I hope everyone is having a nice weekend wherever you are. I know we like to talk about the Genos and things related to it. I thought I would post these three songs to kind of break the monotony. :)  Anyway, the first song I was just kind of having some fun. I used a Genos style and it has a folksy feel to it. The second tune is not my own but I wanted to demonstrate the Genos synths sounds capability. The Montage is supposed to be the bee's knees for modern and vintage synth sounds but I dare someone who has a Montage to make something as unique sound-wise as this tune made using the Genos. By the way, the second song should be listened to on a full range set of speakers and not headphones. The third song is a tune by Mariah Carey called Make It Happen. All the sounds, other than the vocals of course ;), are produced by the Genos. Enjoy what you play!

Folk Guitar

Aura II

Make It Happen ft. Yamaha Genos

Mike

The following users thanked this post: ton37, KeyboardByBiggs

Offline panos

Re: Songs featuring Yamaha Genos...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
Hi keynote,
was it easy to combine the vocals with your playing?

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »
…….. The second tune is not my own but I wanted to demonstrate the Genos synths sounds capability. The Montage is supposed to be the bee's knees for modern and vintage synth sounds but I dare someone who has a Montage to make something as unique sound-wise as this tune made using the Genos. By the way, the second song should be listened to on a full range set of speakers and not headphones......
…...

Aura II

…...

Mike
Hi Mike, right on spot as you said/wrote about AuraII … a simple but wellmeaned ...Wooowww… ;-)) . Thanks for sharing. Regards Ton37
My best regards,
Ton

SnowThief

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »
The first one is amazing! :)

Edit: The other two are probably very good too, but I can't say, as they're not my types of music. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:37:01 AM by SnowThief »

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
Pro level stuff, Mike!! Please tell us how you added the voice to Make It Happen. I've heard of this being done but would like to give it a try myself. Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

keynote

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 05:15:58 PM »
Adding the original artist voice(s) is a little complicated but it gets easier the more I delve into it Lee. First, I find a song I like ;) and then record the music tracks using my Genos into my computer using Sonar Platinum. After the composition is recorded I take the finalized version and then open it in Audacity. I then import the vocal track(s) also into Audacity. Usually there is quite a bit of editing done in order to sync the vocals with the audio. After that is done there is sometimes volume adjustment(s) etc., to bring everything into balance or at least that's the theory anyway. Then I save all the tracks as a .wav file. Isolated vocal tracks can be obtained from various sources and there is also software you can purchase to do the job. I find it enjoyable since it deals more with the audio engineering aspect of music making. I also enjoy playing the Genos voices and fiddling around with various Genos preset styles and other styles too of course. 8)

As a further demonstration of using isolated vocals within the context of a song I made another custom song with my Genos. It was a popular song back in the early 70's called "Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple. This is a shortened version which includes the first two verses only. Voices featured are the Revo Rock Drum Kit the EuroPercussion Organ and the S.Art SoloKing guitar. I am playing the lead distorted guitar part (R1) using the Half Palm Mute custom voice from CMS Sound Design. I layered it with the S.Art RockOrgan JS (legacy) (R2) at 18 secs. into song. It sounds pretty close to the original in my opinion. There is a guitar solo part near the end of the song too and in this shortened version the guitar solo is also trimmed down somewhat. Other voices used were the S.Art RockHero guitar and the S.Art Vintage Round for bass.  Vocals are by the original artists. Have a great weekend!

Smoke On The Water Remix ft. Yamaha Genos

Mike 

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, KeyboardByBiggs

keynote

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »
Hi keynote,
was it easy to combine the vocals with your playing?

Hi panos. My post above this one kind of explains things. Thanks for asking. :)

Mike

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »
Really appreciate your efforts to explain this, Mike. One more question, if I may: you said you "import the vocals." How do you isolate them in the first place? Does Audacity "grab" them from the original audio track for you? Many thanks again!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Ed B

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 03:00:58 AM »
Hi Lee
If you do a search for song and isolated vocals you will frequently find the one you want. Here is one for Smoke on the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_s1CohtxY
You need to record it and then fit it and your accompaniment together in Audacity.
Regards
Ed B
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:02:32 AM by Ed B »
Keep on learning

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 04:32:34 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to explain the process Mike!
In all models we can add wav. files on multipads and play along.
I have never tried to do it with vocals though.
I usually add just effects.(sounds of waves,wind,thunders and things like that)

I was just wondering if Genos got an adjustment in milliseconds or something to be easier to synchronize the style with the vocals first and save the settings.
Then just by pressing the synch start button of the style the voclas will be synchronized again.

"Smoke on the water" sounds fine too!
 Great work Mike!

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
Thanks, Ed!!

I believe a vocal track can be imported to Cubase and processed to a set tempo. I forget how it's done, but I believe Cubase detects the hit points. Perhaps someone who has done this, can chime in. After the vocal track has been tempo corrected, the sky's the limit.

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 05:30:22 PM »
I have used fl studio to detect the exact tempo of a recording to the last digit of millisecond.
So I am sure that Cubase can do this job too.
Then you have to change it's tempo just a liitle to match with a keyboard's tempo.
For example if the original recording tempo is 119.753 you make it exactly 120.000 without changing the pitch and save it.
Then it will match to the keyboard's tempo 120.