Author Topic: MP3 degradation  (Read 6254 times)

Offline hans1966

MP3 degradation
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:28:34 AM »
Hello friends, I am very happy with my S775. the only problem I have found is in the reproduction of Mp3 audio when it is transported to +1 or -1. the sound is shaky (you hear distortion) hopefully yamaha will solve this problem, with a firmware update so that MP3 audio playback can be stabilized, and you can transport + 1 + 2 + 3 or -1-2-3 without any sound alteration. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline DrakeM

Re: MP3 degradation
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:21:19 AM »
Hello Hans,

I would suggest that you record your song using the MIDI recorder. That way you could correctly transpose to any key and then record it using your WAV recorder. Then turn your WAV recording into an MP3. It will sound perfect. ;)

Regards
Drake

The following users thanked this post: daikatana

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Have you tried using .wav files instead of .mp3 ?

Is the distortion reduced with .wav files ?

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:41 PM »
Agree with Drake and Ian. MP3 is not the way to go if you want to transpose or speed up the song. Use the MIDI recorder.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:43:51 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:56 PM »
Hello Friends, thank you all for your answers, but I am sorry to inform you that the degradation of the sound, occurs in both WAV, and Mp3. what happens is that sometimes they ask me certain songs in a relatively short time, and I can not create the MIDI, but the sequences are available on the internet and in Mp3 format, (of course in another Pitch). that's why I use the transposition resource of the Mp3, which premiered for the first time in the S950, and that came with these flaws, but that should have been corrected already in S775 / S975. the solution that DrakeM proposes to transpose the MIDI before passing it to WAV, is good as long as you have enough time to create the MIDI, otherwise the immediate option is to use the Mp3 available on the internet and solve it in the moment. Greetings. Hans

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
Hans,

Maybe you can change the bit-rate of the MP3 to eliminate the problem.  If the bit-rate of you MP3s is OK, then I would report the problem to Yamaha.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline hans1966

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »
Hello Joe, thanks for your answer, the speed of beats are perfect in the MP3. I just received a yamaha email today with a satisfaction survey with the S775. I took this survey to inform them about the problem of degradation in the Mp3, I hope they respond soon. Surely they will correct the error with a firmware update. Hans

Offline alanclare

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:29:09 AM »
Agree with Drake and Ian. MP3 is not the way to go if you want to transpose or speed up the song. Use the MIDI recorder.

...and when you’ve got the speed, pitch and anything else just how you want it, you can play your song into the USB recorder and sing along with it as well!

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
It looks like you are not using WAV files recorded on your keyboard but downloaded from the internet. These may be of bad quality and the keyboard will only play what you feed into it. It would have the same effect on Genos. I don't see it as a fault at all but more what you are using instead of playing.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »
This could just be a case of expecting too much.

Pitch shifting audio files doesn't just happen, it's a process which runs against a file and generates a new one based on an algorithm. Results are not guaranteed. The algorithm on the S775 is probably a compromise which gives decent results in real time, but doesn't pretend to be a professional-grade solution.

Why don't you run the file through a commercially available pitch shifter rather than the one on the S775, and see if you get better results.
Genos

Offline hans1966

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
It looks like you are not using WAV files recorded on your keyboard but downloaded from the internet. These may be of bad quality and the keyboard will only play what you feed into it. It would have the same effect on Genos. I don't see it as a fault at all but more what you are using instead of playing.

Hello Eileen, I have tried the audio recorder playing styles, and also using MIDI songs, and the result is the same, it degrades when going up +1 or down -1

Offline hans1966

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
This could just be a case of expecting too much.

Pitch shifting audio files doesn't just happen, it's a process which runs against a file and generates a new one based on an algorithm. Results are not guaranteed. The algorithm on the S775 is probably a compromise which gives decent results in real time, but doesn't pretend to be a professional-grade solution.

Why don't you run the file through a commercially available pitch shifter rather than the one on the S775, and see if you get better results.

Hello DerekA, thanks for your response. But then, if it's not going to work properly, why would Yamaha bother to implement it? I just do not see the benefit. Hans

Offline DerekA

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 04:15:10 PM »
Because it's a compromise that gives decent results for most people's application.

This is true for everything on any keyboard. For example you get a built-in sequencer, but nobody would pretend it's perfect. You get a built-in grand piano sample, but it's never going to be better than a multi-gigabyte VST.

I think your mistake is to assume that it's simple, and perfectly lossless, to pitch shift an audio file. It isn't.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 05:40:32 PM »
Hello Eileen, I have tried the audio recorder playing styles, and also using MIDI songs, and the result is the same, it degrades when going up +1 or down -1

There's no degredation if you transpose the midi. That's what everyone has been trying to tell you. Transpose the midi file, not the audio.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Flip

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
Must be me.....I have MP3 songs that go back many years.  I either recorded first in MIDI....then copied them to WAV on my T4 (after I transposed and modified the MIDI instruments etc) or recorded directly to WAV first.. then converted them to MP3.  Maybe I don't understand the issue....if so, sorry.  Flip

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 11:25:11 PM »
The arranger's audio transposition algorithm must transpose while the file plays. It has a very short computation time.

If you can, transpose the audio file on a PC or Mac, then transfer the transposed file to your arranger and play it.

By transposing separately and not in real-time, i.e., as the audio plays, a different algorithm (method) can be used -- an algorithm that takes longer and produces better quality transposition. Try the free tool named Audacity, for example.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:08 AM »
Hello everyone, thanks for your valuable answers. I have finally solved the problem. Hans

Offline Dusan

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 06:43:07 AM »
And how you solve that problem Hans?
In my T5 that problem is the same...
Dušan

If you want to fly,you must first walk....

Offline hans1966

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »
Hello Dusan, the Mp3 can not be transposed on the keyboard. this operation must be done on the computer with a good program such as "Adobe audition" or Audacity and then play it on your T5. Hans