Author Topic: Music Finder for Montage/MODX  (Read 3677 times)

mtrigoboff

Music Finder for Montage/MODX
« on: January 05, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »
I am a Montage owner. I just found out about the Music Finder feature of Yamaha Arranger keyboards, and would love to have something similar to use with my Montage.

Music Finder database files are available here in the form of tab-delimited text. I am a programmer, and could easily write code to make something like the Music Finder for the Montage if I had one additional item: something that showed for each PSR/Tyros/Genos Style, the most similar Motif XF/Montage Performance.

Does something like that exist?

I am not looking to make money with this. I would be happy to provide it as free and open source to anyone who wanted it.

Thanks...

Offline pjd

Re: Music Finder for Montage/MODX
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
Hi --

I caught your post on YamahaSynth.com.

Unfortunately, the main problem is that Montage Performances and PSR/Genos styles are not equivalent. When Yamaha created Motif (XS and later) arpeggios, they mined PSR/Tyros styles to obtain the base musical phrases that make up arpeggios. (Yamaha also mined its beatboxes like the RMX, etc.) So, the arpeggios are effectively deconstructed styles.

Rather than re-assemble the arpeggios into PSR/Tyros equivalents, the Motif developers combined arpeggios (phrases) into Performances that are geared for contemporary music. The Motif/MOX Performances are definitely hipper than PSR/Tyros styles and are stripped down to 4-part drum, bass, guitar and (optional) sweetener. Motif/Montage has a lot more depth in contemporary areas like EDM, hip hop, R&B, funk.

Music Finder is supported directly on PSR/Genos although there are a few PC-based tools for manipulating Music Finder (MFD) files. The Music Finder is an integrated feature in PSR/Genos. So, when a user selects a Music Finder entry, the keyboard interprets the entry and turns it into local keyboard actions to select a style and so forth. I don't think you'll be able to add this capable to Montage itself.  :)

I spent a bunch of time exploring arpeggio/style relationship. One project re-assembled some of MOX Performances into styles:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/mox-const-kits-update-v2/

and vice versa:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/motif-styles-for-your-arranger/

All said, I hope this isn't too discouraging. You may have a different concept in mind and I'm sure that other folks will be interested, too.

BTW, I'm currently playing MODX, Genos and Reface YC in terms of Yamaha gear. I recently upgraded to MODX from MOX. Who could resist a lighter weight, almost a Montage?  :)

All the best -- pj

mtrigoboff

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:15 PM »
Thanks.

As of firmware update 2.5, the Montage has presets for all of the Motif XF Performances. I'm guessing that would include versions of everything in your MOX Construction Kits.

If I had the correspondence that I mentioned in my first message, I could easily write some code to make a simple command-line app that you could give some keywords or parts of the song title, and it would respond with a list of Montage Performances that would fit for that song.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:02:02 PM by mtrigoboff »

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 05:34:56 AM »
Did you try the soundmondo app

https://yamahasynth.com/montage-category/soundmondo-for-montage-ios

performances are often named after the title

Its not exactly what you need, but it would help..

This app would also be great for Genos.