Author Topic: Midi out upper/lower  (Read 5524 times)

Bachus

Midi out upper/lower
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
Just a silly question, which i doubt its not possible
Can i somehow set these midi channels to send bank and program changes?
And save that in a performance?

Offline Wim NL

Re: Midi out upper/lower
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:42 AM »
Midi settings only can be store in the in the midi setup in the user max 10 settings
You can save and loads midi sets of 10 user midi settings in Utility > Factory Reset Backup
Only tick midi and save or restore the midi setting.
Best Regards,
Wim

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
Midi settings only can be store in the in the midi setup in the user max 10 settings
You can save and loads midi sets of 10 user midi settings in Utility > Factory Reset Backup
Only tick midi and save or restore the midi setting.

We are talking about 2 different things...

In a midi setting you can as far as i know only define what (5 different things/channel is sent)
But you can not define any vallues there to be sent?

Its obvious that cc comes from sliders/knobs
Aftertouch and note send comes from the keybed
And sustain comes from the pedal..

But where is option number 3 PC, or program change generated,..
With the left voices, r1,r2,r3 this is obvious the voice part.
But what about the left and right channels?  (Needs to be set with yem)
Where can i generate a pc message for those channels?

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
I don't understand your question wat you want to achiefe.
Are we talking about YEM.
Left is store with the style parts.
Left and Right is set in your splitpoint.
Best Regards,
Wim

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »
I don't understand your question wat you want to achiefe.
Are we talking about YEM.
Left is store with the style parts.
Left and Right is set in your splitpoint.

No, i am talking upper and lower, those are not used for internal sounds, they only are used for midi..   they take the notes i play left and send them as midi to an external module.. and upper is the notes i play right..    to controll the external module trough midi, i need to send program and bank changes as otherwise allways the same sounds will sound from the module(unless i operate it locally)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
You can set transmit channels for upper and lower in the midi templates, and configure them for transmitting notes, cc, pitch bend and aftertouch. But strangely they are the only channels where you cannot select transmission of program change.

John
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:57:06 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
Bachus,

I doubt you can do what you would like to do (transmit MSB - LSB - PC to an external instrument).  Up to the Genos, Yamaha has a built-in filter for Voice messages (and other MIDI messages) NOT supported by the arranger.  They may have changed this for the Genos... but I doubt it.

I experimented with this years ago and came to the conclusion above.  Yamaha have gone through great effort to make sure there are no glitches (or operator interference) that will cause the style player or MIDI player to fail.

As I stated in another post, if your external instrument supports MSB 063 / 062, (such as with the Motif and other Yamaha instruments) then you can create a "dummy" Voice bank in YEM.  Otherwise I don't think it is possible to send extraneous Voice messages from the arranger.

If you only want to send Voice messages to a single instrument, then you could buy a little box from MIDI Solutions you can connect to the MIDI Out port on the Genos that will convert the MSB 063 to another CC message. But if you want o send Voice messages to several different instruments that's not going to work.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:53:00 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
Bachus,

I doubt you can do what you would like to do (transmit MSB - LSB - PC to an external instrument).  Up to the Genos, Yamaha has a built-in filter for Voice messages (and other MIDI messages) NOT supported by the arranger.  They may have changed this for the Genos... but I doubt it.

I experimented with this years ago and came to the conclusion above.  Yamaha have gone through great effort to make sure there are no glitches (or operator interference) that will cause the style player or MIDI player to fail.

As I stated in another post, if your external instrument supports MSB 063 / 062, (such as with the Motif and other Yamaha insruments) then you can create a "dummy" Voice bank in YEM.  Otherwise I don't think it is possible to send extraneous Voice messages from the arranger.

If you only want to send Voice messages to a single instrument, then you could buy a little box from MIDI Solutions you can connect to the MIDI Out port on the Genos that will convert the MSB 063 to another CC message.

Joe H

Ai, i noticed this before..
but tought to overcome this with and ipad app, as a middle man...
Sending the MSB 63/62 messages to the ipad app...
These would be the presets on the ipad app,
And in those presets would be the real program changes to my modules, to mainstage as well as local ipad sounds..

But even sending those messages seems only possible using some kind of editor..

Makes you wonder why yamaha build in all these limitations?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:19:21 PM by Bachus »

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:49:36 PM »
Is sending the  LSB,MSB,prog for External voices by midi song or by multipad an option.
Best Regards,
Wim

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »
Is sending the  LSB,MSB,prog for External voices by midi song or by multipad an option.
Thats an option...
Definately is...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 11:28:38 PM »

I had tried that on my S910 and it didn't work. The messages got filtered out. I doubt it work on the Genos... but it would nice if it did. You could try editing a Voice Set file... but I have my doubts.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:32:00 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:39 AM »
OK,

I tried editing a Voice Set file several times and it didn't work.  It calls up the wrong Voice from my analog plug-in card. So I think the only way to do this is to create a dummy bank in YEM and buy a MIDI Solutions box to convert the MSB 063 to another number (after it leaves the arranger)

:(

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:31:55 AM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 05:27:58 AM »
Here's the processor I'm referring to:   http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

There is free software for programming the box for both the PC and Mac platforms.

Joe H

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 06:59:23 AM »
The MSB LSB PROG has to be strictly in this sequence of time.
In the Genos and other Yamaha keyboard the are set at the same time but always in this sequence.
Make a offset in time .
Always start with MSB then  LSB than (PC/prog)
You can also set this sequence good in prsutil form heiko in  GX optimize.

There are External programs that can control the Genos.
Midifile Optimizer X now is for me now the best .
The demo version is free you only can not save the midi file.
But when you can  see the parameters that you have to set.
You can do this in Mix Master witch is the best free program for me now.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
You can't send non-supported Voice messages directly from the arranger.  Yes I'm very familiar with MixMaster... I was a beta tester for several years working directly with Michael.  I learned a lot.  We shared notes and experiments.

Yamaha has made great efforts to keep the arranger keyboard operations from getting corrupted.  Thay's why it is so reliable. Not to say there are sometimes bugs in the OS that need to be addressed (and they are)

Most people here have no idea how the arranger is designed and operates.  I see silly requests for impractical functions.  Having said that, there is definitely room for improvements.  What we are see with Yamaha today is designers dealing with a 30 year old concept, and younger players who want an instrument that will do what the current DAW can do.

::)

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:51:17 AM by Joe H »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I do not seem to understand what this is about.  Let me just state that I have been able to get midi-out  exactly as needed using the midi settings and choosing what is sent.  Right hand voices and left hand voices  on different midi channels. (I do not use lower)
I have not tried to program the midi out programchanges on Genos but programmed the receiving unit to have the desired program on the number Genos sends. I remember using a little midibox long ago that changed any midi message to whatever you wanted it to be. Was it MIDI SOLUTIONS ?
I deactivatted the midi pitch bend sending as  the minimum is 1/2 note which may be ok for to-day's music whereas I need  the max to be 1/4 in order to make the bending exact.   BTW  As on Tyros you can get that by soldering resistors to the end of the pot leads but I have not yet had time to do that.

Cheers

Kaarlo