Author Topic: PSR S975 compared to Casio Px 560????  (Read 3759 times)

rogerc

PSR S975 compared to Casio Px 560????
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:45:14 AM »
Went to my Guitar Center to compare the Yamaha PSR S975 to the Casio Px 560.

They did not have a Px 560 in stock so I was not able to compare the sounds and overall features between the two keyboards.

Anyone here been able to compare the two side by side? What was your impression?

I really like my current PRS S900 but looking for an upgrade. The Casio Px 560 has the 88 keys, hammer action and some of the features of the PSR S models and is currently $1199 USD compared to the $1999 for the S975. It would be hard for me to give up the Yamaha brand because I know how it works and I believe it probably has better sounds for all voices.  Money is not a great issue, wouold rather get the keyboard that fits my desires than save $$ over the true long haul of enjoying a good keyboard.
Insights greatly appreciated.
RC

Sergey Kadyrov

Re: PSR S975 compared to Casio Px 560????
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
My opinion is that PSR-S975 is a great arranger keyboard and PX-560 is just a combination of a decent digital piano and an entry-level arranger keyboard.
I think that once you'll need a better piano or better arranger there'll be no much use of PX560, while PSR-S975 will stay a great arranger keyboard for a long time and if you feel that you really need a digital piano you'll get one separately like Yamaha P-125. At least in this case you will have two things which do everything they are supposed to do. With PX560, I'm afraid, you'll always be wanting for better guitars, flutes, drums, styles, etc.

Offline C-clef

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:56:43 PM »
I think Sergey has summarised it quite well.

The PX-560 (I own one) is primarily a piano, and IMO a very good one for the price.
It has a graded hammer action keyboard that responds and feels amazingly like a real piano.
I like the colour touch screen too.

And it also has some quite reasonable arranger facilities, whether they're up to the same standard as one would get on the S975 I can't answer, but I suspect not.
In that respect the PSR and Tyros are, I suspect, streets ahead.
But the 560 also has quite a powerful synthesiser on board with what's called a Hex Layer editor.
This allows extensive tweaking of presets as well the creation of completely new sounds.

But it doesn't have the huge range of styles available that one can get for the PSR and Tyros range of instruments.
Somehow I doubt it ever will have.
If you use a lot of styles then I'd opt for the PSR, especially as there are programs offered here for style tweaking.
I create my own MIDI files to practise or play to, using Cakewalk Sonar.

It really depends whether you're after an arranger with a synthesiser style keyboard or something that's primarily a digital piano but has some reasonable arranger capability.
I'm delighted with my px-560, but I primarily wanted a good digital piano at an affordable price. I bought the stand and pedals at the same time.

It's very much a matter of personal taste.
If I had the money I'd have one of each ;-)

Any help?
Colin.

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
I was surprised with the Cascio and the weighted piano like feel and quality but over time and fun factor the Yamaha S975 would be a nice upgrade from the S900 with its plethora of styles voices and convenient extra overall style add ons .Your decision of course but The Yamaha sounds like it would be more entertaining in the long run and sounds better overall. Treat yourself

Craig "Keyboardist"
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

rogerc

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
So many options so little time...
Can't wait for all the new stuff from Namm 2019. Hope I am not disappointed. Lot of hype before the announcements. I always wait a few montlhs and reconsider.
Thanks for all the replies.
Leaning towards a 975 or if something spectacular comes on (preferrably from Yamaha) will jump on it.
RC

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:49 PM »
Jump on the S975! You will never regret it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page