Author Topic: Hands free page turning  (Read 707 times)

Offline bolepa

Hands free page turning
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:00:02 PM »
I was trying to search this forum on this but could not find any information on the subject. I am looking for help to find a way on how to turn pages of sheet music in PDF format loaded on your PC. I know there are several software's and Bluetooth pedals available on the market but I am just wondering if there are any other, more simple options available... Thank you in advance!

Offline Del B

Re: Hands free page turning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »
Hi Bolepa
The only other ways I can think of turning pages hands-free and without the use of pedals would be voice activation or eye movement, which would probably involve some software and hardware
installation to your pc, and the cost would probably be greater than the price of pedals and probably would not be as simple as using a bluetooth padal, unless you are paralysed from the waste down the pedal page turners are a great option.
In my defense before someone jumps over my post like a rash I know nothing about page turning with eye movement or voice activation nor do I know of any other ways of turning pages hands free apart from foot pedals which is the way I turn my pages on my IPad.

Del

Offline bolepa

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:52:01 PM »
Del, thank you for your reply. Eye movement or voice activation technics.... sounds good but we are there just yet... :) Would you mind to share with me what kind pedal and/or softaware do you use for page turning? Thanks!

Offline Del B

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »
Hi Bolepa
I use  a bluetooth Donner hands free page turner you can get more information about it on the link below.
I use in on my Ipad and I am using forscore for my music sheets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Donner-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Reading-Controller/dp/B01MZICTQV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa/261-7878674-6185668?ie=UTF8&qid=1546972209&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=donner+page+turner&psc=1

Offline alanclare

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:12:39 AM »
Bolepa

A previous topic may interest you.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,45047.0.html

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 12:28:18 PM »
I use Air Turn pedals with my Ipad and it works very well.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »
I use SongBook for iPad, and set it up so the registrations change the page. Itís completely hands-free and feet-free.

But thatís not the PC solution the OP asked for.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline bolepa

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
Gentlemen, Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate that. Looks like I won't be able to avoid buying a peace of hardware (pedal) for what I need.... so be it!

Offline jtrue

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
I am happy with Songbook+ on an iPad and a PageFlip Butterfly pedal:  https://pageflip.com/products/butterfly

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline jdup

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 02:19:47 AM »
I have been very happily using Open Text by Michael Bedesem on my laptop, in order to display ,pdf's for my PSR-S770. Would Air Turn pedals work with Open Text?

Best Regards,

Jim

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:01 AM »
Bolepa,

I use the same as Eileen. I use an Air Turn pedal with my iPad and it works great. I also use Musicnotes App to load the PDF's to iPad.
Very easy to use.

Rick D.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 05:44:19 AM »

I use SongBook for iPad, and set it up so the registrations change the page. Itís completely hands-free and feet-free.

But thatís not the PC solution the OP asked for.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred
I have been trying to do what you described above for a long time with no success.   For me that would be the perfect solution.  I also use SongBook+/iPad with Genos.

I have the two mid files you kindly sent me some time ago . . .  Next Page.MID and Next Page2.MID.    Not sure what my errors were.  I call the registration from the PDF/iPad/Songbook+.  I believe that you call the PDF from the Genos registration.  Maybe that is why it is not working for me.  (the other factor is not knowing what i am doing . . . )

So,  when looking at this post it made me think . . .  would you be able to kindly send me one of your registrations and the corresponding PDF just so i can test and maybe i could do reverse engineering . . .   

Thanks in advance. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »
I have been trying to do what you described above for a long time with no success.   For me that would be the perfect solution.  I also use SongBook+/iPad with Genos.

I have the two mid files you kindly sent me some time ago . . .  Next Page.MID and Next Page2.MID.    Not sure what my errors were.  I call the registration from the PDF/iPad/Songbook+.  I believe that you call the PDF from the Genos registration.  Maybe that is why it is not working for me.  (the other factor is not knowing what i am doing . . . )

So,  when looking at this post it made me think . . .  would you be able to kindly send me one of your registrations and the corresponding PDF just so i can test and maybe i could do reverse engineering . . .   

The registration won't help, because you would still have to set up SongBook properly. You're better off to use your own, working registrations, and just set up SongBook to recognize the codes that the midi files are sending.

Here's the SongBook setup:
-- Settings>Foot Pedal>MIDI Foot pedal>Use MIDI foot pedal>On
-- MIDI Channel for foot pedal = same channel as used when loading PDFs
-- Freely Configurable ControlChange>if controller>4, changes to>1, execute this action>Jump to next page
-- Freely Configurable ControlChange>if controller>4, changes to>2, execute this action>Jump to previous page
-- Freely Configurable ControlChange>if controller>4, changes to>4, execute this action>Jump to next page

You need do this only once, and SongBook will remember it forever.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline John T4

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »
Hi Fred
I use ipad pro and songbook, but this method of using midi files to page turn means I cant use a midi file track to play along with, which I do sometimes..
I was playing around and thought if you have a 3 page pdf, say,  you could have that as 3 separate pages ie pdf1 pdf2 pdf3 and then when adding registrations to your performance one of them can be linked to the next page, ie say reg 6 is a fill, reg 7 could link to pdf2 , thus showing next page, reg 8 variation change etc...

any thoughts, i tried this as an experiment and seemed to work, but it is a second or so to appear, not sure how long your method takes..

input appreciated   regards  John

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 03:05:07 PM »
I use ipad pro and songbook, but this method of using midi files to page turn means I cant use a midi file track to play along with, which I do sometimes..
I was playing around and thought if you have a 3 page pdf, say,  you could have that as 3 separate pages ie pdf1 pdf2 pdf3 and then when adding registrations to your performance one of them can be linked to the next page, ie say reg 6 is a fill, reg 7 could link to pdf2 , thus showing next page, reg 8 variation change etc...

any thoughts, i tried this as an experiment and seemed to work, but it is a second or so to appear, not sure how long your method takes..

Yes, midi files which control the sheet music interfere with midi song files.

I don't see the difference between a midi file which loads a pdf, and a midi file which turns the page. They're both going to interfere with the song file, and, as you state, loading a new pdf takes more time than turning the page.

When I use a song midi file, which I do rarely, I simply modify the file to include the requisite control commands -- load the pdf at the beginning of the song, and turn the page at the appropriate time.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline John T4

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »
Thanks Fred, food for thought

John
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:09:31 PM by John T4 »

Offline John T4

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »
Hi Fred

thanks for your reply I have modified my midi files with a control change as you specify and it works perfectly one slight issue was lall my Links are in midi a because that's where my Bluetooth MIDI is situated and of course by default control changes on song channels go out on midi b.. no big deal I've just reassigned midi a channel one to be song channel 1 and it works fine
But the problem I'm now trying to understand is the way you change pages in a completely normal song which is not using the MIDI file but just Styles and registrations.
So I have made made2 midilp files 1to page forward and one to page back. the midi files on their own work fine and of course I can load them with a registration but nothing happens until you press play on the song player. and this  interrupt what you're doing with the style.
so sorry to be a pain but could you explain again what it is you put in the registration such that the page will turn instantly as opposed to having to press the registration button and then song play button.. regards John

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »
thanks for your reply I have modified my midi files with a control change as you specify and it works perfectly one slight issue was lall my Links are in midi a because that's where my Bluetooth MIDI is situated and of course by default control changes on song channels go out on midi b.. no big deal I've just reassigned midi a channel one to be song channel 1 and it works fine
But the problem I'm now trying to understand is the way you change pages in a completely normal song which is not using the MIDI file but just Styles and registrations.
So I have made made2 midilp files 1to page forward and one to page back. the midi files on their own work fine and of course I can load them with a registration but nothing happens until you press play on the song player. and this  interrupt what you're doing with the style.
so sorry to be a pain but could you explain again what it is you put in the registration such that the page will turn instantly as opposed to having to press the registration button and then song play button.

John,

In a previous post, you said you had my NextPage.mid and NextPage2.mid files.

Thatís whatís I put in my registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline John T4

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »
Sorry Fred, that wasn't me.. I don't have your files

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
Sorry Fred, that wasn't me.. I don't have your files

Here they are.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline John T4

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 09:14:26 PM »
Thanks Fred
That worked a treat I can only assume my midi files for page turning didn't work because they were more than one line long obviously that one entry in your file is acted on when it is loaded and that turns the page so for some of my tricky work, where I don't have time to turn the page by hand, I'm going to have to move some registrations about but that does solve a great problem

Fred, I don't suppose you have a MIDI file that activates the multi pads from a registration do you? I don't mean the sync start option just the immediate option
Thanks Fred for all your help with this
Regards John

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 12:00:32 AM »
Thanks Fred
That worked a treat I can only assume my midi files for page turning didn't work because they were more than one line long obviously that one entry in your file is acted on when it is loaded and that turns the page so for some of my tricky work, where I don't have time to turn the page by hand, I'm going to have to move some registrations about but that does solve a great problem

Fred, I don't suppose you have a MIDI file that activates the multi pads from a registration do you? I don't mean the sync start option just the immediate option

1. Glad they worked for you. The most likely reason yours didn't work is that for midi commands to be executed on the load of the file, they have to be at time code 0. Any other time code (like bar 1), they don't execute until the play button is pushed.

2. No. There probably is a midi command to trigger a multipad, but it would have to be on midi receive. All the files I use transmit midi commands, which are acted on by SongBook. The way I get multipads to play when desired (say 4 bars after a registration change), is I'll set it to Sync Start, but then will create the pad with 4 bars of silence. Then it's controlled by the registration, but plays when I want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline John T4

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:18:35 AM »
Good point
Cheers Fred